Author Topic: 9.3x74R Hunting Load with Hornady 286 gr: loads? thoughts? cautions?  (Read 942 times)

Offline wsjones

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Rifle is a Ruger No.1, factory chambering, and I'm looking for a hunting load at factory type velocities (2300-2400 fps) for the Hornady 286 gr bullets I've got. I've not loaded for this one yet - still shooting Lapua 286 Mega factory stuff for the brass (so far the Mega's have not been as accurate as I want).

My plan is to either just neck size or partially resize only.

Powders on-hand that look likely are RL15 and IMR4350.

Anyone know what primers Lapua uses in their factory loads? If so, might as well start out with that if it's one of the common US LR types.

As I've not fooled with the 9.3 before I figured I'd see what special techniques or cautions I should be aware of.

Thanks. -WS

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 9.3x74R Hunting Load with Hornady 286 gr: loads? thoughts? cautions?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
I have nothing to offer, but I want to follow this thread.  I have read about the 9.3x74, and have been wanting one for a while.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:15:29 AM »
Graf & Sons stocks three makes of brass

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/819?

They also catalog several loads and given that the brass is pretty expensive the prices are not all that crazy.  Fortunately the Number 1 is pretty easy on brass even with hot loads if they are sized for that particular rifle.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/284?

If you scoot on over to the Hodgdon website they list more than 30 loads for the cartridge and 8-10 for the 286 grain bullet including for IMR4350.  Alliant does not show RL15 recipes for the 9.3x74R on their site but does for bigger cartridges such as the .458 WM so a call to them will likely get you some data.

Lance

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:16:29 AM »
I have used Varget, Reloader No.15, and IMR 4064 powder.  Each has worked well.  IMR 4064 is my favorite for the 9.3x74R.  I load RWS cases.  They are of the highest quality.  I have not tried Hornady's cases yet. I am sure they are just as good.  I do not hotrod my Ruger No.1.  The standard or slightly reduced 9.3x74R load has knocked out every boar I have shot.  Speer's 270 gr bullet works well with a little less recoil.  Priv Partzan's 286 gr. perform well and are much lower in cost than Hornady or Barns.  My favorite is a 250 gr. cast 0.358" bullet rolled in paper and 59.0 gr. of IMR 4064.  This slug comes out at 2500 fps.  That is what I will be using on boar tomorrow morning.  Good luck.

Offline oliverstacy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
I'm going to watch this thread also...I've got a MGM 28" stainless barrel for my Encore and have done some work reloading for it, need to really work on it this summer.  I tried to find a load using 250 grain Nosler Ballistic tips (wish they still made there) but haven't found a good combo yet...beginning to wonder if I should stick with bullet in the  286 grain range. 

I'd like to find a load for it using 250 grain bullets...but with my 28" tube I'm sure I could keep the velocity up with the 286 grain bullets. 

I have to say that the 286 grain Sellier & Bellot factory loads shot great...but where's the fun in that.

Josh

My wife once made the mistake of telling me "all of your guns look alike"...No, I've had this gun for a long time! LOL

Offline wsjones

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »
Brass is Lapua, once fired in this rifle; bullets are Hornady 286 gr Interlocks; available powders are IMR 4350 and RL-15.
I'd consider IMR 4064 since I can use it in other loads.
Loading maunals I have aplenty, plus google is my friend; I want thoughts and firsthand experiences with loading and loads for this one (and thanks to you who've already provided such).
I have Prvi Partizan bullets that I got from Graf's same time as I bought the Lapua factory loads (it was cheaper to buy the Lapua loaded ammo than brass and component bullets, given my intention to work up loads with fireformed brass) but what I'm looking for is a factory velocity match or slightly better big game hunting load with Hornady 286's, which I also have.  And yes, I've heard of Nosler and Speer and Barnes and Sierra and Wodleigh and Swift, and in fact have a cabinet full of bullets for various other calibers from all of those folks, but this load is for the Hornady bullet.  If I can't find a satisfactory load I will promptly get myself a box of 286 gr Partitions and start over.
Anyone neck size or only partially resize for this one?  Problems or issues with that, in your experience?  My plan is to neck size to just below where I would seat the bullet to start 0.035 off the lands, which is slightly greater than 1 caliber depth for my rifle.  This has worked well for me on other rifle/cartridge/bullet combinations but the 9.3 is a little unusual.
Thanks again.  -WSJ

Offline wsjones

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
" I have read about the 9.3x74, and have been wanting one for a while"

Keith44:  Me too.  First I thought I would finally afford a double rifle because 9.3's are cheaper.  True, but not nearly cheap enough!  Then maybe I'd stumble on a drilling in some out of the way place, but apparently I'm 30 yerars too late for that.  The internet has pretty much ruined any chance of finding strange, rare rifles in an out of the way gun or pawn shop.  So I got the Ruger when they came out with the chambering.   I went with the 9.3 instead of a couple other cartridges available in No. 1's at the time because the 405 Winchester seemed a lever round and the 450/400 was wildly expensive with respect to ammo, brass and bullets compared to the 9.3.

It's a nice, very shootable round.  Recoil is not severe (less than a max 45-70 load by a good bit, and more on par with a 35 Whelen or similar), and the cartridge just looks very cool and appropriate for a single-shot rifle.  Now if I just get a good load sorted out for it.  -WSJ

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
Thanks for the info WSJ, what are you loading the 9.3 for? Bear, boar, Moose, or anything in particular?
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline wsjones

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »
Trip to Namibia for plains game, including zebra, blue wildebeest and eland, this fall.  Bucket list time!  Never been before and will likely never be able to go back, so I'm maximizing the preparation and anticipation.

Taking 2 rifles:  35 Whelen (Rem 700) and the 9.3, which just seems right for where I'm going.  Plus I really would like to shoot an eland and maybe a wildebeest with the 9.3.

Can't for the life of me see why it won't work well but I'm obsessing about loads and bullet performance.  At impact velocities of 2200-2400 fps there's no reason any decent bullet won't work, and the Interlocks aren't exactly 1920's technology, even though they're not bonded core or mono-metal design.  And I am going to shoot handloads because I handload (and have for a long time) and enjoy the whole process, from component selection to seeing how it works in the field.  Just part of what I want this trip to be I guess.  -WSJ