Author Topic: What are your thoughts on the 10mm in it original form?  (Read 248 times)

Offline kciH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What are your thoughts on the 10mm in it original form?
« on: January 18, 2004, 11:30:15 PM »
I've been a big fan of the 10mm for some time.  I witnessed it being turned into a long 40 S&W, before the 40 S&W existed, and wonder what shooters who have used it think of the round as it was loaded by Norma. Just another failing of the FBI in my opinion.  I look at it as the the second best round you can put in a 1911, right after the original.  I realize it's available in revolvers, even have a few, but don't see it as it's forte.  Is a 200gr bullet at 1200+ from a 5" barrel a reliable deer-getter out to 50+ yards in your experience?  How about a 135gr HP at 1500+ for a good vermin round?  All that in a VERY packable pistol?  I don't see it's optimum role as a self-defense round, although it's more than capable in that role.  I see it as a GREAT outdoorsman's round in a good 1911.  It easily exceeds the .357 Mag, acknowledged by many as possibly THE most versatile handgun cartridge, and all in the superb 1911 package. Before you attack that previous statement, take into acount the size of the handgun.  A .357 with a 3" barrel isn't a .357 in a 8" revolver.

I obviously have some notions about the round already, what do my fellow shooters think of it?