Author Topic: Life Expectancy of Various Powders  (Read 568 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Life Expectancy of Various Powders
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:09 AM »
What is the life expectancy of various powders?  I've heard that ball powder will last indefinately after reloading.  What about other powder types.  I've heard some are no good after about two years.  If I keep the ammo in my garage reloading area.  It never gets below freezing, and not over about 80-85 in there in the summer.  I have no room for vehicles in my garage as my reloading, woodworking, and other tools take up most of my garage.  It is insulated, and I store NO gasoline in there.  I use mostly RL-15, 4064, and Unique.  Should I switch to ball for long term storage?

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Life Expectancy of Various Powders
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 03:27:30 AM »
I have had 4350 and some 4198 that was more than 25 years old. Smells fresh and shoots fine.Keep it sealed and dry you will have no problem. Same for primers

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »
.Keep it sealed and dry you will have no problem. Same for primers

I agree

Tommyt

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 04:53:25 AM »
Guy that wrote about this was on another forum, and he was from Africa.  Might be true there.  I usually reload on dry days.  My garage, where I reload has air conditioning and I can heat it using a portable electric or propane heater, away from my reloading bench of course. 

Offline the jigger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:12:09 AM »
Don't worry about any of the powders you list. I have some RL15 loads that were assembled almost five years ago for a prairie dog shoot. I shot some of them over the holidays(with my grandson) and they all went "BANG".
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
The only reloads I have longevity problems with are lead bullets. Most of those are tumble lube bullets. I'm sure the lube comes off the bullets and contaminates the powder. I still use them, they are so much easier to make, but I am careful to keep them cool, and I don't let them get too old.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
Lead is another think I didn't know.  I have some, someone gave me about 15 lbs of lead, plus I have some lead bullets.  Bullets were lubed.  I've never lubed any, but do have a .44 mag lead mold (2 bullets at a time), that I have never used. 

Thanks for the information guys.  I only try to reload during dry weather. 

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
Doesn't matter if the powder is loaded or still in the can, it will outlast it's owner.  I regularly use powder from the 40s and 50s to this day as well as loaded ammo.  My kids will be using the same stuff long after I'm gone. 8)

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
I have odd powders that I do not use a lot of, have cans that were 3.95 a pound on them, mid '70s I think. they all go bang. The caution about lubed cast bullets is real though, so I always store mine base down, powder setting on the primer, not the bullet, and in a cool place. I ahve some that are in the 20 year old range that have some ftf issues, but still a small percentage. I would say if you are planning to let them set over 5 or so years, use jacketed. You can always cast and load later--lead never goes bad ;) and properly stored powder and primers should last at least half a century.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
I have some original Hodgdon 4831 that I bought in the 1960's. It is stored in an unheated building and is still as good as it ever was. If it appears to have rust in it and if it smells bad it's probably no good, but that rarely ever happens to powder that has been properly stored.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
The ONLY powder storage problem I have ever heard of was with some .458 Winchester Magnum compressed powder charge loads becoming inconsistent, some even failing to burn the powder entirely.  Other than that I have stored .44 mag for up to 5 years (with both cast and jacketed bullets) without any issues.  Can't say about any longer term storage, I tend to shoot enough to keep my stock rotated.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
If you stay with single base extruded or ball powders there are very few issues except dryness.  If you start talking double base, however, there is chances of Nitroglycerine sweating and sensitivity to shock coming into play.  Usually, the MSDS of each powder (available from the manufacturers site) should show any issues in storage and life expectancy.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »
I'm loading with powders and primers some of which are over 30 years old.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)