Author Topic: 1680 357 Maxi data  (Read 1967 times)

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 1680 357 Maxi data
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
Thank-you , Gendoc

Those are very very interesting numbers.

Wish I had a setup to run my own tests.

Otter Bob

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
So basically, Accurate has published data to indicate it's alright to go with 4 grains more than what the pressures indicate as the max??
 ie, they say 26.5gr is max, but Doc has found that 22.6gr gives a hair under their max pressure of 40K.

Maybe I'm mixing-up CUP and PSI? :-\ Help me out here...

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
i have not looked at accurates COL. my test results were from your COL measure.
and my results are in cip & saami psi.
thanks ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
The current AA TC data uses a much longer COL than Doc used, 2.350" for the SSP compared to 2.185" which is closer to what would be used in a revolver, 2.350" being a more realistic COL for a single shot firearm. As I pointed out to Doc in a PM, the 180gr Speer FP is into the lands at 2.3", so just short of the lands will provide lower pressure with the same powder charge, the longer COL allows more powder and better velocity at equal pressure, that's why many of us are using upwards of 28-30gr with no problems, at least on SB2 frames, SB1 rifles should stick to the lower charges within AAs recommendations.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »
So basically, Accurate has published data to indicate it's alright to go with 4 grains more than what the pressures indicate as the max??
 ie, they say 26.5gr is max, but Doc has found that 22.6gr gives a hair under their max pressure of 40K.

Thanks, Dinny

There is more variables... Elevation, temperature, different lot of powder, different lot of primer, OAL as Tim just mentioned and the barrel its fired in..  As I keep trying to get across to everyone, EVERY barrel is different!

As good as it is to hear/read the results, most of it really of little value. It means in Johns barrel, with his powder and primers seated to that OAL the pressures are X and come out to be below what the manual says is safe to use. (Further proves my point to start lo and increase slowly)

As always, Tim is spot on pointing out longer OAL's are the difference. They directly increase internal powder volume and allow for more powder to keep same pressures as less volume and less powder BUT generally speaking OAL top vel will change little. Slightly favoring the larger powder charges, but not appreciably.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny,
You are not mistaken.

You can confirm this on page 12 for “CUP” and page 16 for “PSI” of the SAAMI.org data publication at :

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/205.pdf

MAP for the 357 Maximum
CUP = 48000 cup
PSI = 40000 psi

Otter Bob

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
I guess I have a dog in this scramble, tho it's not a Handi, sad to say.  May I call your attention to the AA published data on the ".357Maximum" web site.  Pressure in these guns is apparently strongly affected by throat depth and OAL of the cartridge.  Still experimenting with loads seeking best accuracy, but am shooting up to 28.5gr AA1680 with no pressure signs.  Am also using CCI 450 primers for best ignition. As usual, YMMV.  Goatwhiskers