Author Topic: well the new cdl is finally here  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
well the new cdl is finally here
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:43:56 AM »
swapped a kimber 1911 for a new cdl at the local gunshop. The owner wanted that kimber bad and ordered me a new cdl in 257 wby in trade. Its a beauty! I had a lss stock that i was going to fit the barreled action in but when i opened the box and saw it i changed my mind. It has a darker walnut stock with a bit more figure then a typical cdl and just looked right the way it is. With the flutted barrel and the nice wood even my wife who typicaly rolls her eyes when i open up a new gun said that it was one of the best looking guns shed ever seen. Hopefully it isnt a fussy sob like my vangurad 257 was. If it shoots well it will be killing the crap out of crop damage deer next summer.
blue lives matter

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: well the new cdl is finally here
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »
I can't think of a more desirable 257 Wea. in factory form, the looks, tube length & contour is outstanding! I hope it's a shooter, I have had considerable success with the 700"s I have owned.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
Hey Lloyd, I sure would like to see that pretty rifle. Hint, hint!
That 257 WBY in the CDL is a great match. I'm jealous!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »
Yes Slufoot a picture or two would be nice

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »
Ive got a buddy who is a stock maker. Hes got it right now floating and bedding it. When he gets down ill shoot a couple pics.
blue lives matter

Offline timothy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »
What did you think of the new trigger lloyd? I bought a bdl last year and its terrible.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
trigger on this one was a crisp 3lb pull. I say WAS because the buddy who was bedding the stock broke the trigger when he was trying to get the stock to release and had to order a new one. Ive got a couple sps rems with this trigger and to be honest have been impressed with it so far. I dont think its any better then the old ones other then they tend to come a bit lighter out of the box.
What did you think of the new trigger lloyd? I bought a bdl last year and its terrible.
blue lives matter

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »
  That is one beautiful rifle, especially in .257W. I was all set to order one, back when, until a friend gave me a custom Rem 721 converted to 7mmRUM. I was "obligated" to use it , ha, but I set it up to compare with the .257W ( a cartridge I used alot in the past) I was able to get a fine load with the Barnes 140TTSX going 3600fps. Awesome.
  I used the Barnes 100TSX going 3500 out of a custom Mark X in my last .257W for exotics, it was a laser! My first .257W was a rechambered Remington 700 Classic in 25.06. I used the now discontinued Federal factory load using the Nosler 115 Partition. It was a laser, never clocked it. I shot my first Blackbuck around 375yds with it, one shot. later I shot a nice Black Hawaian ram around 200. My outfitter friend begged me out of it, he offered me $1100 for it....Sheboygin! I had to to do it, ha. But that 700 CDL with the walnut stock, SS fluted barrel, "still" haunts me , ha. since your factory trigger is broke, have your friend put in a Shilen trigger...sweet.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
he ended up getting another rem trigger but this one is pretty good too. Its now floated and bedded and i ran the tubbs lapping bullet routine through it to break it in. Got about 200 rounds of different loads loaded up. Just need spring now so i can go out and shoot the snot out of it and get it ready to slay a bunch of deer this fall. .
blue lives matter

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
trigger on this one was a crisp 3lb pull. I say WAS because the buddy who was bedding the stock broke the trigger when he was trying to get the stock to release

That's why you remove the trigger when you bed a stock

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 12:20:19 AM »
ya he just did a 300 vanguard for me and this one had a timney trigger and he laughed and said it was comming out first. Said hes done about a 100 and never broke a triggger before but from here on out he will remove them first.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:46 AM »
heres a pic. sorry but im not to talented with a camera. Scope is a 4x12 vx2 leupold
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:05:58 AM »
other side
blue lives matter

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
Lloyd that is a NICE rifle, thanks for posting the pics!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »
Very nice!!

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »
Lloyd, how does it shoot??  why don't you get a weatherby rifle??  buying a remington rifle in a weatherby cal. is like putting a 200 lb. fat girl in a size 5 dress and asking her to dance.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
Lloyd, how does it shoot??  why don't you get a weatherby rifle??  buying a remington rifle in a weatherby cal. is like putting a 200 lb. fat girl in a size 5 dress and asking her to dance.

Might be great if she's tall enough! ;)

Some Weatherby's shoot but many Remingtons shoot!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »
sorry fatercat but i detest the wood weatherbys other then the old classic model that has been discontinued. That stock is the most awkward feel stock ive ever used. It not only doesnt fit be but in heavier calibers like the 300 it wacks the hell of of my face and after 20 or 30 rounds im ready to chuck it in the river. Ive had a few vanguards with that stock design but in plastic. I dont think one has stayed on a gun more then a month. I had one mark V in 270 wby. I bought it back when i first go into guns. Back when i had no taste in firearms and thought flashy  was cool. I also think the combination of that space gun looking stock is about a gaudy as it comes and the cdl stock is hands down prettier and a better function stock. For the most part what if find is the weatheby stocks appeal to guys who dont know guns. they walk into a shop and see that shinny thing with all those curves and figure it will impress the hell out of the guys at camp.
blue lives matter

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 12:34:32 AM »
two things. look at the ultra light in 257, thats what i have . it has a FG stock. with leupold 3X9 weighs right at 7 1/2 lbs. not shinny.   if remington made the cdl in left hand 257 with 26" barrel i would have one. got one in 30-06.  Now, how does yours shoot. regards, richard

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
got to admit i do like the ultrlight weatherbys. I just couldnt afford one. this one was 800 as it was. Kind of embarassing but i havent even shot it yet. Snows just getting down where i can get into the range so if this warm weather holds up maybe by the end of next week. Ive got a new 7mag and a new 7stw i need to get over there too.
blue lives matter

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
OK I have to ask:-

Why the free float and bed on a new rifle?

Are the 700's really that bad from the factory?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
Lloyd, thats a mighty ugly rifle.  I'd kinda' be ashamed for a fine fella' like you to have to carry that.  I'll spare you, just send it to me, and I'll fondle it for you. :P

Ben

Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:52 PM »
Lloyd, thats a mighty ugly rifle.  I'd kinda' be ashamed for a fine fella' like you to have to carry that.  I'll spare you, just send it to me, and I'll fondle it for you. :P

Ben

Now I know your just joking  :P  even I cannot say it's ugly and I am not a fan of stainless rifles of any make.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 05:16:08 AM »
Lloyd you have good taste. I was in a shop that had one on the front counter.  I liked the finish on the stainless steel and the stock.  Remington is doing it right with the CDL
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »
I really like the cdl stock. Ive restocked a sps 06 and my 8mag bdl with cdl stocks. there good looking and fit me well. Id say the only stock i like more is the winchester featherweight.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 04:54:29 AM »
Ive got a buddy who is a stock maker. Hes got it right now floating and bedding it. When he gets down ill shoot a couple pics.

Why does the bedding have to be done over on a new rifle?

How did it shoot before bedding?

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 04:57:20 AM »
Deleted.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 07:51:26 AM »
If you check back a few posts I asked a similar question but no one seems to want to answer it.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
It probably doesnt. But ive owned probably 50 bolt action rifles through the years and after years of trying them both ways ive came to this conclusion. Most every bolt action rifle will shoot better bedded and with the barrel channel floated. It also makes a gun more stable in high moisture areas that tend to slightly warp stocks and put pressure where it doesnt belong. Ive seen some drastic improvements in accuracy and about the worse ive seen is a couple guns i did it to didnt get any better but also didnt get any worse. So anymore i dont even bother wasting my time and components working up loads just to find out i have a finiky shooter and need to bed and float it and then have to start all over.

Why does the bedding have to be done over on a new rifle?

How did it shoot before bedding?
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »
Well ive been working up loads for it the last couple weeks. Seems to like 100 grain bullets better then then 120s. best loads were 70 grains of 7828sc fed match mag primer and a sierra flat base spitzer. Two five shot groups today. One 5/8s of an inch and one 3/4. Same load with a 100 ballistic tip went 3/4s and 7/8s for 5 shots. Most of the other groups with various 100s and 120s went around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. Nothing shot exceptionaly pour out of it other then, SORRY SWAMPY. 100 grain corelocks that went over 2 inch. I was a bit nervous as ive seen mixed reviews on the cdls in 257 but this ones seems to do just fine. Sure is alot less finiky then the old vangurad 257 was. By the way all bullets were shot with 7828. re22, re25 H1000 and retumbo. all were also shot with cci mags and fed match mags. Just about accross the board it did best with the 7828 and fed primers.
blue lives matter