Author Topic: My Model 70SA Ranger  (Read 704 times)

Offline RandyHut

• Trade Count: (0)
My Model 70SA Ranger
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:00:53 AM »
 Just purchased a used Model 70SA Ranger in .223 -Was wanting to find any info i can about it, searched several forums and sites. Ca't seem to find a lot out there on this model.
 i called Winchester, they told me it ws made in 1995 and that is about all i could get from them. Does anyone have or know where i can find more info about this model.
 I an considering a pillar bed of the tang and rear bolt areas and woder how this will affect the value of the gun.

Thanks in advance

Offline 277284

• Avid Poster
Re: My Model 70SA Ranger
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
SA means short action, Ranger could mean it has a birch stock with no checkering and maybe a blind magazine.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
Yep, "SA" = short action, and the Ranger Models rifles/shotguns were econo-versions of the top-of-the-line guns, w/o the full polishing prior to bluing, and with un-checkered, non-walnut stocks.

Since it's most likely a push-feed, ANYTHING you can do to improve the accuracy would only help with the value (test shoot it first).

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:56:57 AM »
push feed has nothing to do with accuracy.  Mike

Offline slick45

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:41:23 AM »

Since it's most likely a push-feed, ANYTHING you can do to improve the accuracy would only help with the value (test shoot it first).

Yep, a lot you can do. Depends on how much you want to spend and if you can find a smith to do it.

Offline timothy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »
Just an idea, but how about you go shoot the gun and see how it does before bedding it.

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:49:09 AM »
All push feed has to do with is how the round is chambered, once locked up it makes no difference. Most rifles are push feed, remington older Mausers for instance. It is actually prefered by some. What a gun smith can do for you gas nothing to do with this so far as I know, but rather the stock, bedding etc. Mike

Offline 277284

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:44 AM »
Some of the M70 Rangers also have featherweight barrel contour.