Author Topic: Reading about SOPA and PIPA... it doesn't sound good  (Read 740 times)

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Reading about SOPA and PIPA... it doesn't sound good
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
While on Craigslist doing a little shopping  I ran across this link with info  regarding pending legislation that might affect some of us, or all of us. Check it out
http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA
Has anyone here studied up on this issue? Thoughts on it?
Corporations whose lobbyists drafted SOPA and PIPA want the ability to block you from reaching any web site they feel hurts their profits -- without due process, or review in any court -- by hijacking DNS (!) and censoring search results. Hoping you won't notice until it's too late, Congress is preparing to give them that right.For example, Monster Cable considers craigslist a "rogue site" for takedown under PIPA - they want to prevent YOU from selling YOUR unwanted cables, by removing craigslist from the Internet entirely, so they can increase their sales of new cables! Many other "rights holders" want to be able to do the same. (Boycott anyone? There's an app for that.)
SOPA/PIPA authors and supporters insist they're only fighting "piracy," but Internet Engineers understand that this is an attempt to impose China-style government control over our public Internet. Hmmm, who should we believe?
Let Congress know you OPPOSE H.R. 3261 "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) and S. 968 "Protect IP Act" (PIPA):
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Reading about SOPA and PIPA... it doesn't sound good
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »
I do not currently shop on Ebay Craigslist or any other "rummage sale" websites. However it is nobody's dang business where I shop, or how I resell things I no longer want. These clowns wholesaled it once and now they are upset that it is being retailed a second time?  Copyright infringement, well I'm afraid the water is long under the bridge. You are not going to stop something the size of the entire Chinese economy with a law, sorry.

Perhaps I'm missing something. It seems the main reason for being a government employee or politician these days, is to document every movement and thought a citizen has. If these SOB's have enough time to keep up with my movements then they are way under employed and need to be fired.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:33:41 AM »
I always use SOPA to washa my hands after I go PIPA.

Offline powderman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:24:03 AM »
I always use SOPA to washa my hands after I go PIPA.

WILL. Thats a very good and healthy practice. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:27:57 AM »
Cute, fellas. Do you have anything to offer on the proposed legislation? Have you thought about it? Do you not think that it will affect YOU?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
If this passes we're going to need SOPA on a rope. Scary stuff. The groups supporting these should clue you in on how bad this is.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
Wikipedia is going to shut down on 1/18 to try to raise awareness of the danger of proposed SOPA legislation;  Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Amazon, AOL, Reddit, Mozilla, LinkedIn, IAC, Ebay, Paypal, Wordpress may join in.

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
I'm with my state rep

"Online piracy's a real problem that deserves a real thoughtful solution, not something that damages the infrastructure of the Internet itself," Polis said.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
SOPA is stalled in the House.  Debate is going on in the Senate, and it seems all DemoncRAT Senators are refusing to discuss this legislation with their constituents.  I am going to contact my Senators regarding this bill.  I know Senator Rubio will listen, but Senator Nelson is ignoring people.  It's okay.  He is up for reelection this year.  I think I will help to put him in the unemployment line.  Maybe he can qualify for welfare and Obamacare.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:26 AM »
Here is the form letter I sent to my congress officials.  Feel free to copy/paste it to suit your needs.  http://www.contactingthecongress.org/ is a website that will tell you the reps for your state/districts and will provided a link to email them.

Dear _____________,

I'm sure that you have received news about the massive online protests that happened yesterday, 01/18/2012, concerning the SOPA/PIPA bills that are on the House and Senate floors.  Many people have signed online petitions to stop these bills.  Many online businesses have sacrifed a days worth of income by "blacking out" their websites to bring attention to the fact that the SOPA/PIPA bills are being debated in congress.

These bills, which are being advertised as a design to stop online piracy, are more about censoring the internet and eroding our 1st amendment rights to free speech. 

If you oppose these bills then I applaud you for standing up and protecting my 1st amendment rights.  If your voting record should indicate that you supported these bills, then my voting record will indicate that my ballot was cast against you in the upcoming elections. 

I urge you to give careful consideration to any bills that deal with my constitutional rights as a US Citizen.

With respect,

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:10:52 AM »
I contacted all of my "leaders." Does anyone know of a list anywhere that names these bills' supporters?
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline SwampThing762

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:57:31 AM »
Looks like a censorship and money making plan combined, to turn down the internet and make it a Chinese copy....lots of free info sites and critcal analysis sites will be dimmed down or shut down....world wide project, too. Lots of buzz about this in the bogsphere....most Americans are oblivious to this dark plan.

...TM7

Of course they are.  The drive-thru media refuses to cover this story.  I have not even seen Fox News touch it.

ST762

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:45 AM »
Lets see a cooporation gets marketing info from a company that tracks consumers buying habits and uses it to decide which sites to make a false claim about thus shutting it down until the case can get to court. How much better could it be ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:22:22 AM »
Of course they are.  The drive-thru media refuses to cover this story.  I have not even seen Fox News touch it.
ST762
Why would Fox News touch it?  Take a second to read up on which movie studio owns, oh I don't know, Avatar... or Titanic...  two of the largest grossing movies ever...  And to save you the time, they are owned by Fox.  This bill is being pushed by the record and movie industries exclusively...  You see they are just not making any money, it's very sad...

Oh wait... you thought Fox News was free of bias or something?

Offline SwampThing762

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
Dukk, I never said Fox News was free of bias.  To use your lawyer speak -- Objection, assumes facts not in evidence.

And, by the way, Megyn Kelly covered it today.

ST762

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
I once took a supervisor's job, and one of the rules was that no one could use the phone except on break.  I asked why.  They said someone had mis used it.  So that means everyone got punished.

Now a few do pirate.  If they do, and law enforcement can document it, they should be punished.

We don't need an anti- free speech law that would basically give the gov. the right to shut down anything they don't like and deprive even law abiding citizens of their right.

Kinda' like those wanting more anti gun laws.  As though a criminal cares.

It's time for the government to back off.  We are losing freedom one ounce at a time.  It must stop now.

By the way...I fired the phone abuser, restored the priviledge to all others, and threw the time clock in the dumpster.  My department increased revenue over 300% over the next 4 years, profits increased from less than 2% to more than 23%  and  the work force from 4 to 18.  Get rid of the chaff and let the wheat grow.  Get the government out of our lives.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
Dukk, I never said Fox News was free of bias.  To use your lawyer speak -- Objection, assumes facts not in evidence.

ST762
I was being sarcastic.  It wasn't directed at you, but rather at those for whom Fox News is the only source of news they get... 

Sorry for the confusion, sarcasm is hard to pull off in text.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

ST762
I was being sarcastic.  It wasn't directed at you, but rather at those for whom Fox News is the only source of news they get... 

Sorry for the confusion, sarcasm is hard to pull off in text.
I agree completely.  As you can see, sometimes it's even misinterpreted as a personal attack.

Back to the OP, I think the pending legislation is going to be killed off or tabled.  NYs Senators are getting a lot more calls against the legislation, than they anticipated.  It's already been reported that they changed their mind about being co-sponsors of the legislation.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
I'm with my state rep

"Online piracy's a real problem that deserves a real thoughtful solution, not something that damages the infrastructure of the Internet itself," Polis said.

Maybe we should put duct tape on every bodies mouth, so they can't sing copyrighted songs. Or should we just pass a law that only people with Ipods duct tape their mouths.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein