Author Topic: Binocular Repair? Help!  (Read 383 times)

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Binocular Repair? Help!
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »
I've got a pair of Redfield partner bino's 10x50 that has a part rattling around inside. The part is rectangular and has a hole in one end. I realize these may not be the most expensive binos in the world but I've spotted so many deer with em I just hate to give em up. Not to mention I'm tight on a dollar. So where or who can help me fix em? I'd like to have them gas purged when they finish. Where can this work be done? Or do I just have to pony up and buy a new pair?  :'(

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Binocular Repair? Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:18:38 PM »
Pony up and buy a new pair.

I spent two years plus rebuilding binoculars for the Army at Anniston Army Depot back in the '60s. I've rebuild hundreds of them. Unless you have the proper equipment putting them back as they were is a near lost cause.

My guess is you have a prism that's broken loose or maybe just the little metal cap if they are made like those old government binoculars were. Inside there really shouldn't be anything that is as you say and has a hole in one end.

If it is a poroprism bino as I suspect it is then what you have basically is the eye piece assembly which likely has a doublet eyelens and another lens. Then there is a double prism assembly affixed to a plate. That plate maybe what you are seeing. If so that means there is a loose prism that likely is junk now if rattling around inside. All of them I rebuild that had a loose prism the prism was broken and had to be tossed and replaced.

Beyond that at the objective end you'll have another doublet lens. Most times on old binos like yours one or more of the doublet lens have separation and to fix them they must be decemented and ground them recoated and recemented. A lot of expensive equipment is needed to do all that. Unless replacement lens/prisms are available which they won't be for your bino then it's about a lost cause. Even assuming all that repair could be done they would then need to be colimated on a colimater to be useful again.

Even a really cheap pair of today's binoculars will be superior to yours even if fixed. Retire them to a place of honor and buy a new pair.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Re: Binocular Repair? Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:08:07 AM »
Thanks GB, I was hoping someone knew something about this process. I dont mind buying a new set,but man I've spotted alot of deer with those things. Ah well,Redfield makes a pair that is real similar to the ones I have. So thats where I'm leaning. Plus they have Lifetime warranty.