Author Topic: Use of a cardboard sewing pattern board for sighting in a scope  (Read 483 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Use of a cardboard sewing pattern board for sighting in a scope
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:24:01 AM »
I was not sure where to post this so I will start here. I have found these to be really great for sighting in scopes. It is big enough that you can hardly be so far out of adjustment as to not hit the board someplace. With it all marked off in one inch squares it is easy to count how many "clicks" of adjustment is needed. They don't cost much and can sometimes be found for next to nothing at garage sales. Anyone else use these?
GuzziJohn

Offline ilikemilitaria

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Use of a cardboard sewing pattern board for sighting in a scope
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:44:15 AM »
hmm.....sounds interesting. I'd like to look into these I think. Also, I assume that if a person was to level the board so that the lines are level/perpendicular, then you could also use it for scope mounting gauge to ensure your crosshairs are level on the gun.

Very thought provoking idea.

dave

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:08:05 AM »
Interesting.  I have a Bushnell bore sighter that I bought years ago.  I use it religiously when I mount a new scope....but....it really leaves allot to be desired.  I also think that someone makes targets like the board you suggest.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
A weighted string, plumb line, used after the rifle is leveled works good also.  Rifle is on the level and the scope will line up horizontal.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:39:24 AM »
Sound like something that you could work with for sure...For myself, I like the contrast of the old Bench rest targets, say a 1" white square inside of a 2" black square inside of a 3" white square, etc. I often make my own but the point being that the "contrast" is great to get those crosshairs settled in along with having known demintions outside of the bull's built in to the target.

I have a modest drafting set and can knock out a Master target quickly for either long or short guns to include Scoped or irons. I also have access to a copy machine so my Masters are preserved. Many great target designs are avalible for free on line but OUCH on the printer ink.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:01:20 AM »
There are a couple of brands of targets that use the 1" grid pattern. They are pretty cheap and with the use of duct tape they last a long, time. I put the tape on the back, redraw the lines that are shot out, and use them again and again. I make it a point to use targets with the grid lines.

I didn't realise that there was such a thing as a cardboard sewing pattern board. My wife has a pattern board as she sews a lot but it's a self healing plastic thing. The self healing thing might be worth looking into. If it works with bullet holes I wouldn't have to carry duct tape anymore.  ;D