Author Topic: Barrel measurment ???  (Read 594 times)

Offline evidrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel measurment ???
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
How would you go about measureing the barrel length of a crack barrel shotgun? Basically to get an exact measurement to indicate legallity lol! I ask because I picked one up that had been cut down to 18in. When I say 18in., it is litterally 18in!!!! I know 18 is legal, but I want to be sure about the measurement in this case.

Also, I would like to find out if I can change the barrel on this thing, and if so, can it be a pistol cal. barrel? .357 for example?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel measurment ???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:12:50 AM »
We'd need to know what it is first since you didn't mention it before barrel swapping is done!  ???  I think shotgun barrels are measured from the breech face to the muzzle.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »
Ahh, you got me there! :o

It is either a Pardner or a topper. It has been a while since I have picked it up. I will have to check on that.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »
Two common ways are close the action, insert cleaning rod to bottom out on breech face and mark it at the muzzle end where it exits the barrel, remove and measure. Second way for a break open action is to just measure the barrel from breech end to muzzle end. It is always a good thing to do to leave a little extra for the Gov't. An extra 1/16" to 1/8" to the finished barrel is a comfort to me. Just to make up for any differnece in measuring instruments or methods....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
That is pretty much how I thought it was done. I wanted to double check because when you measure it (eigher method) you come up with 18" on the money! No room to play, but there is no denying that it is 18". Still makes me nervous. lol

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »
Look at it this way, if you use it to commit a crime they will proably charge you with a short barrel. If you never do anything wrong with it and don't draw attention to yourself you are most likely OK....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »

Hello evidrine:
  Just a suggestion, if it worries you, you can have the bbl. peened and probably get a1/16 or 1/8 inch more to the overall length. It may make you feel better about it. Just a thought.
  HM

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
Two common ways are close the action, insert cleaning rod to bottom out on breech face and mark it at the muzzle end where it exits the barrel, remove and measure. Second way for a break open action is to just measure the barrel from breech end to muzzle end. It is always a good thing to do to leave a little extra for the Gov't. An extra 1/16" to 1/8" to the finished barrel is a comfort to me. Just to make up for any differnece in measureing instrements or methods....<><.... :)

Exactly correct, This is where some confusion is.. some say 16.5 for a rifled barrel and 18.5 for a smooth bore. Well that extra .5 IS for FUDGE FACTOR!! The "law" states 16" for a rifled barrel and 18" for a smooth bore... :Little more is better ;)

Personally I would do one of two things:
1) Weld a extension of some kind to the end of the barrel. (Must be perminant to be legal)
2) Destroy it

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »
Two common ways are close the action, insert cleaning rod to bottom out on breech face and mark it at the muzzle end where it exits the barrel, remove and measure. Second way for a break open action is to just measure the barrel from breech end to muzzle end. It is always a good thing to do to leave a little extra for the Gov't. An extra 1/16" to 1/8" to the finished barrel is a comfort to me. Just to make up for any differnece in measureing instrements or methods....<><.... :)

Exactly correct, This is where some confusion is.. some say 16.5 for a rifled barrel and 18.5 for a smooth bore. Well that extra .5 IS for FUDGE FACTOR!! The "law" states 16" for a rifled barrel and 18" for a smooth bore... :Little more is better ;)

1) Weld a extension of some kind to the end of the barrel. (Must be perminant to be legal)
2) Destroy it

CW

3) Use it for a stub project.  ;)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
I have been thinking that maybe having it fitted with a polychoke. Not sure if this would help, but is sure couldnt hurt.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »

2) Destroy it

CW

3) Use it for a stub project.  ;)

GOOD ONE!!  Yes of coarse!  :-[ :-[ :-[

LOL

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.