Author Topic: Keyhole - Ultra in .204  (Read 729 times)

Offline LFH

• Trade Count: (0)
Keyhole - Ultra in .204
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »
I have always heard of keyholing but till now have never had it happen to me. 

Picked up a NEF Ultra rifle with fluted barrel in .204 and it apparently does not like Hornady V-Max in 40g.

Scoped it and since I had a box of 32g V-max I used those to sight it versus the 40g that I hunt with in the other .204's.

The 32g quickly zeroed with very tight groups.  Then slipped in a 40g and a fresh target.  Wasn't even on paper.   Cut up some some corn bags so I could see where the rounds were going and little slots were high right, then high left with no changes.   Backed up to the 32g and back to dead on bullseyes.

I was amazed as the other .204's fire both of those rounds pretty much equally.

Unfortunately, only had the Hornady ammo along for testing.

Its a 24 inch with yuccky wood that I will refinish.  Bought it used, but looks new. 

Comments??  Experiences with other ammo??

Thanks,,

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Keyhole - Ultra in .204
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
Welcome LFH! That's been mentioned before, I suspect some have a bit slower twist than 1:12", some have been reported as having poor rifling and were replaced by H&R. Mine didn't shoot any factory ammo very good, 1½" groups at 100yds,  but none keyholed,  some will shoot 40gr and even 45gr hand loads, mine does fine with a max load of BLC2 and the 40gr Vmax, under 1" the few times I've shot it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »
FWIW- The only time I have ever witnessed keyholing was with a friend's T/C .204. I'm guessing they might be very tempermental as to twist/bullet weight. 

Offline LFH

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »
Thanks for the comments.   

I will try other brands of ammo in different weights.   

Or be satisfied with the 32g.  Will turn the wife loose with it next hog shooting trip, or let her continue with the Rem 700.  Was looking for something a little smaller and easier for her to handle. 

I don't reload, so that is out.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
I have never shot the 40 gr in any of my 204s which have been many.
All of them have loved the 32 V-Max ammo and all but one has also loved the 45gr V-Max just as well.
The 45s shoot about 1.5" higher than the 32s do with the same scope setting.
Sorry I can't help with the 40gr ammo.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline LFH

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
FWIW- The only time I have ever witnessed keyholing was with a friend's T/C .204. I'm guessing they might be very tempermental as to twist/bullet weight.

I too  never witnessed it.  Only heard of it happening.  Till last week.   :-\

Offline LFH

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
I have never shot the 40 gr in any of my 204s which have been many.
All of them have loved the 32 V-Max ammo and all but one has also loved the 45gr V-Max just as well.
The 45s shoot about 1.5" higher than the 32s do with the same scope setting.
Sorry I can't help with the 40gr ammo.

LONGTOM

I have a couple other .204's in a Rem 700 and a Howa.  They will both shoot the factory Hornady 40g in a very tight group.   The rem700 will actually shoot a tighter group with the 32 than the 40.

Extremely accurate with the light trigger jobs where all you have to do is concentrate on sight pic and the gun does the rest.

Was using the 40g over the 32 mainly because of the hogs.  The 40g in a well placed head shot will drop one in its tracks with little after movement.  No follow up shots needed so far. 

Love this little Ultra and the tight patterns of the 32g.  going to have to get used to the heavier trigger tho.  Will do more reading on all the trigger work advice posted here. 

Thanks for the welcome and info. 

My other Handi's are a .17, couple of 20's, .410, and now the .204.   

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
i really had not seen a key hole until i shot 62 grain bullets in my handi with 1-9 twist my ar's really shine with  the 62's with 1-9 twist .my shorty 223 doesn't like them ether i have two one 22'' barrel and other is 16 1/2 they like the 45 grain and 55 grain. my 204 shoots better than the 223's with 32 grain hornady's.looking forward to better weather so i can do a little shooting.

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
When I was shooting at H&R, Brian would sometimes come down with a .204 sent back with accuracy complaints.  We usually had two brands of ammo on hand, typically Remington and Hornady.  I would watch the returned rifle key hole one brand and then shoot tight groups with the other.  I don't remember bullet weight, but they were the same. You could usually count on one brand working better than the other.  And their was no understandable reason why or which one would work.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
Mine shoots 32 gr. HP and 40 gr. V-Max great. I usually go with the 40, just because nothing that has ever been under the crosshairs has ever lived to talk about it. It's hard to switch when you never miss with a certain load!
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
I have never had a centerfire keyhole... I have seen keyholing with longer heavy rimfire rounds like Win SSHP's and Aguila SSS.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline LFH

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
Mine shoots 32 gr. HP and 40 gr. V-Max great. I usually go with the 40, just because nothing that has ever been under the crosshairs has ever lived to talk about it. It's hard to switch when you never miss with a certain load!

What are you shooting?   

Yes, love the 40g too.  My wife dropped 4 hogs and a head shot turkey, and I took two gobblers, two hogs, and a head shot 8pt This season.  All with the Hornady 40g in the other .204's.   

Is one reason I am sad that this Ultra is keyholing with them.

Offline LFH

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
I have never had a centerfire keyhole... I have seen keyholing with longer heavy rimfire rounds like Win SSHP's and Aguila SSS.

Me either till now.   I am 66,  many rifles in various calibers.  Lot of shooting for confidence at beginning of each season and anytime we are at the hunting place, over the last 20 years. 

First time for everythang I guess  :-\

I have proven time and time again that certain rifles like certain bullets.   Just have to see how heavy a round this one can deal with, or go for confidence building with the 32g's

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LFH

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
[quote author=quickdtoo  Keyholing 204 Rugers seem to be common, not just with H&Rs either.

Tim
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you sir!!

I see I have a lot of reading/research to do.  Should have done that first. 

I think I was consumed with this handihaolic disease y'all speak of.   :-\ ;D