Author Topic: recommend a 22 rimfire scope  (Read 1637 times)

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
recommend a 22 rimfire scope
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
i would like a little help on this i just got a new CZ455 22LR and i need a scope
i would like to keep the cost down to $150. or less will a centerfire rifle scope work on a 22
the rifle will be used for small game and targets 25 yards to 100 yards
thanks for your help on this
Jim
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: recommend a 22 rimfire scope
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
I have a couple of Luepold rimfire scopes and they work really well. Fine wire crosshair  and clear and crisp veiw. They come in 28 and 33 size objective lenses. They are generally more than $150 tho. Post on here someone may have one for your price.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
Weaver 4x or 2x7 rimfire scopes are in your price range.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »
Add $50 and buy a Leupold rimfire scope. You can get their 4X or their 2-7 Rimfires for $199. I have the 2-7 on my rifle and plan to get the 4X for my grandson Joey's little TC Hotshot.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
Add a Weaver 3-9X38 V9 to the list.  The slighly smaller front bell looks right on a smaller framed rifle like the CZ.
MidSouth has them.
I have purchased 3 of them for different 22 caliber rifles.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:45:18 AM »
Centerfire scopes will work just fine if they have fixed or adjustable objectives that will include the shorter ranges, has reticles/dots fine enough for those shorter ranges.   Having 1/8" turrets would be another plus.  A CZ is quite capable of shooting small, so the best glass you can afford for it will make it a one time lifetime buy for that rifle.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline BR549

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
I have two of the Mueller APV's 4.5X14 AO and am very happy with them.  They are in your price range at $150 from Mueller and less from other sources.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
I don't think I've ever bought a rimfire scope. On everything I have the eyepiece will adjust to get the crosshairs sharp. I try to find used leupold vx-II scopes. If I have a dry spell of finding them at a good price I will get a nikon buckmaster or monarch. In most cases the used vx-III and monarchs end up on centerfires and the vx-II and buckmasters find their home on rimfires in the off season when folks are selling their gear.
Molon labe

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
thanks to all of you i think i need to add a little money
to the pot and buy it once
and drive a F150

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:16:57 AM »
 If you find yourself with a little less money in the pot and want a short 4x32 scope, I think this one may be the best deal I've ever come across for a new scope of any type. Weaver shotgun scope made in Japan (Light Optical Works). Parallax is set to 50 yds, which is optimum for .22lr. Very bright and clear. Here's one on my Son's 452 Scout...

$99 at Natchez. I see they're out of stock though.  :(

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE849421
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline quatroclick

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »
I've got a Weaver 2-7 on my 10-22 and I really like it for plinking and hunting use.  It is a very good quality scope considering the very reasonable price.  However, if you are going to punch much paper, you might want to get something with more magnification and AO.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
Add $50 and buy a Leupold rimfire scope. You can get their 4X or their 2-7 Rimfires for $199. I have the 2-7 on my rifle and plan to get the 4X for my grandson Joey's little TC Hotshot.
today i found a real good used Leupold 2x7 with a set of rings
at a loco gunshop for $140. it looks good on my rifle
thanks to all
and drive a F150

Offline Zachary

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
I have a Weaver Rimfire scope on my CZ in .22 as well.  Also, as a moderator, I had never owned a weaver, so I wanted to buy it and have some first hand knowledge and experience with it.  I must say, I am impressed with the quality and performance of this little scope.  However, a friend of mine has the Leupold version on his .22 and I think that, for a relatively nominal price difference, the Leupold model is worth the extra money.  It's not that the Weaver Rimfire is a bad scope - I'm definitely not saying that - I'm just saying that the Leupold version is a better scope. As most people know about the saying that I also reiterate, "you get what you pay for," this certainly applies to optics, but, again, I think that the additional money for the leupold is worth it. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:51:58 AM »
If you find yourself with a little less money in the pot and want a short 4x32 scope, I think this one may be the best deal I've ever come across for a new scope of any type. Weaver shotgun scope made in Japan (Light Optical Works). Parallax is set to 50 yds, which is optimum for .22lr. Very bright and clear. Here's one on my Son's 452 Scout...

The Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope has a 100yd parallax free setting as was stated on their website when it was in production, they used to make a 4x28 rimfire scope with 50yd parallax free setting, it's also been discontinued.  :(

FWIW, I bought two of the Natchez close out 4x32s, they work excellent on centerfire rifles, one is is on my 6x45 Handi, makes a nice light combination and shoots excellent at 100yds.

I also have the 2-7x28 RV7 on a 17M2 Sportster, last time shooting I was disappointed in the 100yd accuracy with ~2" groups, prior shooting was with a Simmons ATV before switching to the Weaver,  then I remembered the Weaver has a 50yd parallax setting, moved to the 50yd range and ¼-½" groups suddenly returned!  ::)

The parallax free setting of the scope can make a difference in accuracy, just depends on how consistent your cheek weld and eye alignment behind the scope is, parallax error is easy to see if it exists, place the rifle on bags or in a rest and look thru the scope at a target or other fixed object without touching or moving the rifle, parallax error will be revealed as any change in your eye position will cause the reticle to appear to move around on the target  as if you were actually moving the scope, if the scope is parallax free at that range, the reticle won't move as you change eye position.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »

The Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope has a 100yd parallax free setting as was stated on their website when it was in production, they used to make a 4x28 rimfire scope with 50yd parallax free setting, it's also been discontinued.  :(

Couple years ago there was much discussion over on RFC about the parallax setting of this scope, as some were coming with a box insert that stated it was 50 yds, and Weaver's 2006 .pdf catalog also stated 50 yds. Someone claimed to have got in touch with a tech at Weaver who told him that it was indeed set to 50 yds, and that the 100 yd figure on the website was incorrect. When it was in production, you'd see some places that sold it listing parallax for it at 50 yds, some 100 yds.

Note that right above the picture of the 4x32 shotgun scope, it states "classic handgun and shotgun scopes are set parallax free at 50 yds"...

http://www.nimax-gmbh.de/downloads/weaver06catalog.pdf

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes