Author Topic: Those anti-internet piracy bills in congress  (Read 296 times)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Those anti-internet piracy bills in congress
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »
Let me see if I understand this: If, under the proposed laws, I post a copyrighted picture or a copy of somebody's writings, then this web site is both liable and responsible for an intellectual property infringement known as piracy?

That's the way it reads in the newspapers I read yesterday, and it seems totally unrealistic.

It was explained that, for example, somebody selling bootlegged goods on eBay would make eBay responsible. Pirated movies on youtube would make youtube liable. Web sites could not exist if they had to police everything uploaded to them. I remember reading that youtube gets about 100 years of video either per day or per week or per month. Either way, that's a heck of a lot of video.

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Those anti-internet piracy bills in congress
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:42:44 AM »
conan, that's pretty much the legislation.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
  Sounds like the bill the Chicago politicians tried to push through a few years ago, which says if "Numbstones"  robs a 7-11 with a Glock...then Glock management has to serve Numbstones' time..     
     ...Cool "liberal logic"..

Might be tough on Wiki, Google and sites like GBO...but I bet some shyster lawyers are salivating...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:59:15 AM »
People control ! If the sites are not there it will be hard for people to communicate and alert each other to coming problems. Just think if Paul Revere or Jack Jouiet could not have acquired a horse  ;) the net is the horse that communication rides on.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:11 PM »
CONAN. THank you Sir. That is an explaination I can understand. I really did not understand it clearly before. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »
I guess the voluntary blackout/shutdown of several very popular sites led to a lot of pressure on certain liberal supporters.  NY's Senators Chuckie, and Kirsten Gillibrand who co-sponsored the Senate version of the bill quickly changed their minds after just a few hours into the blackout protest.

Way to go, GBO! and other sites who participated in the blackout. 8)
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:22 AM »
People could care less about 90% of political issues that are on the congressional floors.  But the moment you have a bill that threatens pop culture the internetz will react instantly!
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."