Author Topic: Nice tool to have for working on cannons  (Read 622 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Nice tool to have for working on cannons
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
The orange dolly is a good idea when you know you'll have to get to the underside of a cannon.  By the way, having enough space, including a 30' ceiling is very helpful.   The train tracks through the garage are great whenever one of those 80 cm "Dora"-type pieces show up, you can just roll 'em in on a series of flatcars.  And the little helper-guy, every cannon collector should have at least a dozen of 'em.

Of course none of this is mine, but now that I found this picture on the web I may have to construct at least one of those neato cannon dollies, I've been squeaking by with ordinary, unhandy, fragile piano boards for way too long.

CHANGE BY POSTER at 11:00 AM 1/22/12:  There were some questions about possible copyright issues with the photo which I got from another forum, so that's easy to fix so there will be no questions.  Here's a link to a webpage which has a different photo of the same tool and cannon, but this time has some explanation. 

http://www.machuproject.eu/news/news-29.htm

and here's the original photo which is in a PDF in the Dutch language, which may contain some other details on the cannon, simply copy text if possible and paste into "google translate" set for Dutch/English.

http://www.cultureelerfgoed.nl/sites/default/files/u4/Ouderogge.pdf

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Nice tool to have for working on cannons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
Yes I see what you mean, nice tool. Currrently struggling with a much smaller but still way heavy tube, one of those would make life much better. Off to the neighbor's welding shop!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »
 We had something very similar for loading large diameter round stock onto a horizontal band saw. I think we bought it from Amada (company that made the saw). The rollers could be moved in/out for different diameters, and swiveled parallel to the bar to make it easy for one guy to push a heavy piece of material into the saw.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 03:19:07 AM »
Did the site where the photo originated provide a description of the gun? There appears to be a fleur-de-lis on the outer breech face.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
The poster who is Dutch gave no explanation but the discussion ongoing involved cannons by the Ouderogge bronze-founding dynasty of Rotterdam, and other guns by the family were posted.  The acanthus-leaf-decorated cascabel and general shape tell me it may be another Ouderogge-cast piece, and that's probably why he posted it there.  The piece is obviously wreck-recovered and looks like it hasn't yet had any conservation, but I can't tell for sure.  I'll just go ahead and ask if he knows any more about it.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
Cannonmn would you post the website that the image came from.  Thanks
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
...could you post the website that...

ok it is http://www.vikingsword.com/

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Just aq suggestion but maybe you could use the synthetic material boat rollers found on boat trailers?. Frank