Author Topic: Hello, my first post  (Read 680 times)

Offline KNO3CS

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello, my first post
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking and learning here for over a month. I've bought cannons and mortars from some of the sponsors. All I can say is "WOW" what an addiction!!!!

I got in the mail today a package from Dominick Carpenter. It was filled with a Sawyer 36 cal., a Micro Coehorn mortar, a 1/4" bore adjustable mortar and a "BB" (.177 cal.) field cannon. Great stuff!!!!

A week or so ago, I got a .22 cal. Coehorn Mortar from Brooks. Also great stuff!!!!

The 2 I have mentioned here are really great people to do business with. I would buy from them again...and I will!!!!

I told Dom that my can of black powder isn't going to last long now!!!!

Thanks,
KNO3CS

The squeaky wheel gets the most grease...the reason why is, there's something wrong with the wheel. Big Cat

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Hello, my first post
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
Welcome to the board, and the addiction!  Glad you decided to come out of lurker status, and join us.  Yes Brooks and Dom are great to work with!! And have top notch products.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »
KNO3CS  --

WELCOME to the board! 

We're expecting pictures of smoke and flame!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Welcome to the board KNO2CS.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
It's good to have you here ,you did something alot of newbies don't . You lurked and learned enough to buy high quality cannons to get started right !

Sounds like you are hooked .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »
 ;D Got a bit of advice for you, my friend...Buy More Powder!  You will be needing it, believe me!  Welcome to our world! The addiction will get it's hooks into you, but you won't regret it....Boomlover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline KNO3CS

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:13:32 AM »
Thanks Everyone,

When I learn a little more about posting pictures, we'll have some shots of smoke and flame.

I'm building a 1/8"bore cannon made out of brass. I have the bore done (1-3/4" deep). I made this with a drill press (I cheated and used my broken lathe to center the bore with a center drill bit, I had to turn the lathe by hand).

A question...the cannon doesn't look right with 1/8" trunions. They look small. I was thinking about 3/16". What do you guys think? Or is it in the eye of the beholder? I thought I would silver solder them in place.

Thanks,
KNO3CS
The squeaky wheel gets the most grease...the reason why is, there's something wrong with the wheel. Big Cat

Offline ranger56528

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »
Welcome and Congrats....

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »

A question...the cannon doesn't look right with 1/8" trunions. They look small. I was thinking about 3/16". What do you guys think? Or is it in the eye of the beholder? I thought I would silver solder them in place.

Thanks,
KNO3CS

If you put rimbases on the trunnions it will look better.  If you are building a barrel that is sub caliber to the barrel diameter you may want to make the trunnions larger to match the barrel.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
Welcome to the board KNO3CS.  And thanks for venturing into the arena of playing doctrinal ping-pong about our sport.

For your scales, buy a few dowell rods and cut and drill a "mock-up" (or two or three) and that will give you a good visual image of some of the sizing realtionships...  then you won't have any surprises when the metal one is finished... :)

Saw a plaque in the hospital the other day that said "giggle more... its a sign of happiness".  Never heard so many giggles as when board members submit video clips of "fire and smoke"   ... followed by the subsequent giggle...  :)   :D   ;D

Offline KNO3CS

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
I can't get any black powder around here, so I'll have to go with mail order. Hopefully 5# will be enough for a while. ;D

I did the dowel rods and 3/16" to me, looks best. BTW, I forgot to say the barrel is 3/8" O.D.

Yes, I've been lurking around here a while. Trying to absorb as much as I can.

I bought a 5/8"O.D. brass rod. Thought I would make a small mortar out of it and maybe a few other things. ;D

Are there any shoots here in Wisconsin?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
 Since you're into tiny guns, you simply must have one of these in your collection...

http://corkmortar.com/

One of very few I can shoot in the backyard without the SWAT team paying a visit.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline keith44

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 07:16:27 AM »
That's cool
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA