Author Topic: Obummer, NO to pipeline may cost us over 100,00 jobs and $billions in revenues.  (Read 3455 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
The Tax incentives and free stuff you are talking about does not exist.  The President was LYING when he said tax benefits for Big Oil in the state of the Union address the other night.  More of his class warfare rants.  There are tax credits for small oil companies for exploration of sources.  These exploration of resources is expensive. 

Big oil always claims that its subsidies are for job creation and drilling costs, but there are actually nine different subsidies in the tax codes that the oil companies enjoy. Getting rid of those subsidies would save the US $45 billion over ten years.

BP also gained huge tax benefits in leasing the Deepwater Horizon rig, writing off 70% of the platform's rent -- a deduction of more than $225,000 a day since the lease began, according to a letter sent to the Senate Finance Committee.
I disagree with your premise that taxes are a 0 Sum gain.  That if we raise the taxes on a company it will add to the national treasury.  Any time we have raised taxes fewer $ end up in the national treasury.  Look at a Lauffer curve.  Higher taxes result in a ressesion over time.  You can see it with the Democrat Bush 41 tax increase, you can see it with the Clinton tax incresase. 
I agree there are subsidies in the tax code, but most do nto apply to the Larger oil companies. 
A lease is an opperation expense to the business and are allowed to be added as a cost.  That cost is subtracted from the sale price to get Profit and that is taxed.  It is common business practice not anything special for the oil company.  Also the profits of the lease company are taxed as well as the people they pay.
If you want the economy to go further in the tank then ask for higher taxes, in the form of a reduction in tax credits or in deductions.  At what price of fuel will you loose your job?  Ask for higher taxes on it and we will get higher fuel prices. 

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
A lease is an opperation expense to the business and are allowed to be added as a cost.  That cost is subtracted from the sale price to get Profit and that is taxed.  It is common business practice not anything special for the oil company.  Also the profits of the lease company are taxed as well as the people they pay.

Point taken ,

How about we just do away with all subsidies and tax Breaks to any corps , farms etc in general. Cut all the Mickey Mouse crud , Simplify the tax code and settle for true tax reform where all pay equal share.

I found this article very enlightening

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html?hp
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)

Point taken ,

How about we just do away with all subsidies and tax Breaks to any corps , farms etc in general. Cut all the Mickey Mouse crud , Simplify the tax code and settle for true tax reform where all pay equal share.

I found this article very enlightening

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html?hp
Equal share is not going to work.  I can not pay an equal portion of the federal budget, Can you? 
If we all pay the same flat rates with a standard deduction of 4X the poverty rate for your filing class.  Single, married, and number of kids.  A flat corperate tax of 5%.  And your income is taxed at a 5 to 7% MAX.

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
I believe we are suggesting the same similar approach.
Just stop the special  interest subsidies , get rid of special interest lobbyists , reform and simplify the Tax system and ensure all pay a fair share.

What could be more American than that. Just because your a 1%er or a corp should note invoke special favor through corrupt influences.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
IG,,,You have prejudice against Universities I see. Suffice to say universities operate on the Socratic method...a forum of a universe of ideas....just like these GB forums.. ??? ... ;)  We are obligated to garner all manner of opinons, science, ideas, research, etc. from universites,,,not just stuff that fits our obtuse views of the world. This Cornell report suggest alternatives exist other then Industry dogmatic results.  It is a good idea people exercise their right and duty of Democracy to look into these things, because certainly direct governmnet and Big Oil isn't going to promte Democracy--quite the opposite.....I suggest re-weighing some of this pipeline hoopla and not be steered by politics and industry pedantics. We can do what we wnat --its our country.

..TM7.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TM;
  You simply MUST put your "comprehension caP' back on your head !  I indicated no prejudice concerning universities...I just don't take everything some profs say as "gospel truths"..  Here's what I said in post #89;
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  " I am fairly certain both Nomosendoro & mcwooduck are well aware that cornell U is a distinguished university, being one of the handful of "ivy league" institutions.  But of course not all profs at all universities are really operating with a full deck.
   East Anglia U. in the UK is rated quite high, but look what a few eco-freak profs tried to pull off there."
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
   ...And no;  colleges & universities do NOT universally honor the Socratic method of teaching.  In fact, some are very dictatorial in their teaching, not open to honest inquiry at all !

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)