Author Topic: Servicing a gun with a chamber  (Read 836 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Servicing a gun with a chamber
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:55:25 AM »
I have never been around any guns that utilized a powder chamber. Someone asked me when servicing the piece after firing, do you also have to worm and sponge the chamber.  I thought I was a little knowledgable about stuff like this but I was stumped.  I'm sure something has to be done.  Sparks and trash can hide there.  Would you need a second worm and sponge?  An additional ram rod?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Servicing a gun with a chamber
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:04:58 AM »
The whole idea of worming and sponging is to clean the debris from the chamber.  I use a different swab for the bore. 

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »
     And, for those who thought that Every new topic had already been discussed, Zulu comes through!  I am really looking forward to this one.  Never had one of these and never have built one for anyone.  The only thing I know for sure is you DO NOT need a second Rammer, because it is used, jn scale guns, with a "Charge Guide" which is a fancy name for a wooden tube, the O.D. of which fits the bore and the I.D. of which holds the foil powder cartridge in alignment with the chamber for ramming.  I watched as Double D. showed a fellow how to make one on his shop's lathe last August in Cut Bank, MT.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:17 AM »
     And, for those who thought that Every new topic had already been discussed, Zulu comes through!  I am really looking forward to this one.  Never had one of these and never have built one for anyone.  The only thing I know for sure is you DO NOT need a second Rammer, because it is used, jn scale guns, with a "Charge Guide" which is a fancy name for a wooden tube, the O.D. of which fits the bore and the I.D. of which holds the foil powder cartridge in alignment with the chamber for ramming.  I watched as Double D. showed a fellow how to make one on his shop's lathe last August in Cut Bank, MT.

Tracy

More of that worthless 1860's technology, some would say... ;D

How ever I stole idea from BlasterBob and some modern tooling he had for one of his mortars that he posted here some years ago. Bob is also the source of pictures with powder can tradition.

I think the original process was to attach a taper shaped charge to the back of the sabot holding a projectile.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
It seems like if you wormed trash out of the chamber, it would just worm out into the bore and have to be removed from there also.  I really don't see any way around not having two sponges.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »
Zulu, I turned sponges for both main bore and reduced chamber on the lathe and covered them with wool, fleece for the main bore and felt for the chamber. Clean the bore and follow with the chamber sponge.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:59 AM »
As far as worming, one worm that fits the chamber should be enough as cartridge bag fragments that have to be dealt with will be found at the bottom of the chamber, all other bag fragments will be blown out the barrel or will be too small for a worm to pick up.   

For sponging the 8 and 10 inch Columbiads used two sponges, one for the chamber and one for the bore.  These were located on opposite ends of the same staff.   I haven't found historical documentation for two sponges for smaller guns yet.  I have seen sponges being used today that were made up of one head with two diameters.  I don't know how effective they are.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
So of the various servicing steps...  anyone care to submit a draft of those steps??  I could guess based on my own twisted views of science and logic but with my total lack of experience and its several lessons, I'm certain to be off the mark...

And does the sequence differ from a long, mostly level bore (as a reduced chamber cannon barrel) versus a more elevated, short bore such as a mortar??

LS:
It stands to reason with a mortar, the remains from sponging the bore would collect in the chamber... then maybe worm the chamber??  ...of course with a mortar, a crewperson should be able to see if the chamber is clear or not... and maybe proceed directly to sponging the chamber...? ?

I really like to see a draft of the several steps and maybe the logic of why...? ?

Knew a fellow in Utah lost an eye and arm from improper servicing so that event underscores the importance of proper (or improper) servicing.  :( 

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
I think you scrape the sides of the chamber in a mortar.  It seems like I read that somewhere.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
for me my GB bore is my first with a powder chamber
for me i use a worm the size of the chamberand  a flue  brush for the  bore
i have a mop that is cut down  spondge

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
The Ten step procedure for servicing a gun is found on the American Artillery Association website.  Mortar instruction are there also.

http://www.americanartillery.org/aaa/marty.html

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
Gunsonwheels, I have found that any fragments of cartridge tend to come out on the sponge, no guarantee though.  A quick look down the barrel after sponging tells the tale.  I do not have a formal procedure that I follow although I should.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
I had it all worked out for the old 40mm but that was a straight bore.  Since being introduced to the chambered pieces I have been unsure of what will work to extinguish, remove the crud, clean the bore and chamber and then leave everything dry so as to not affect the next shot.  LS gave me a pretty good list in a few PM's but I am still not completely comfortable with what I am doing... Guess I just need to practice more...  :)

GOW

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 05:54:40 AM »
practice helps and fun just  go slow no need to shoot fast

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:22 AM »
The Ten step procedure for servicing a gun is found on the American Artillery Association website.  Mortar instruction are there also.

http://www.americanartillery.org/aaa/marty.html

This is instruction for a cannon bore or a mortar.  The mortar even directs to wipe out the bore with a rag.
What about a long gun with a chamber?  Like a howitzer.  I'm thinking a chamber sized worm, two sponges, and a ramrod with two size heads.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
Nothing changes in the procedure because of a howitzer chamber. You only need the correct tools for the specific configuration, nothing more.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »
Double D said, quote
More of that worthless 1860's technology, some would say... ;D

How ever I stole idea from BlasterBob and some modern tooling he had for one of his mortars that he posted here some years ago. Bob is also the source of pictures with powder can tradition.
I think the original process was to attach a taper shaped charge to the back of the sabot holding a projectile.
End quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since ole Double D mentioned my name and the modern tooling that I had, I thought I'd furnish a couple pictures of that contraption that I had (and still do have).  Pictures were posted a few years ago and I had indicated that I sure would appreciate some fellow BP cannon/mortar shooter explaining exactly how these things should work.  Now, since a few years have passed and we have gained many new members, maybe some new guy/gal will tell me about how these pieces of aluminum are to be used - safely!
One more thing, UPDATE -I had been diagnosed with prostate cancer just two years ago.  Had those little radioactive pellets inserted into the old prostate and I am doing just fine - turned 75 years old last month and I do expect to hit the 80+ mark.  Here are the pictures before I get seriously sidetracked and I hope that I did not derail this thread. Note to DD, see the powder can!!
-
-
-
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
Bob --

Good to hear of your good health!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:41 AM »
Bob --

Thanks Tim.  I really feel like I'm still in my 50's. Sure am anxious to see some decent weather so I can blast the spiders out of my mortars.  Bob
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »
Bob,

Good to hear from you. You and I are about the same age and I understand how you feel about age. Seems like I was in my Forties just a few months ago. I would like to tell all the younger folks that if you have something you really want to do, get on with it because later comes earlier than you think.
Max

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
Bob --

Thanks Tim.  I really feel like I'm still in my 50's. Sure am anxious to see some decent weather so I can blast the spiders out of my mortars.  Bob

I used to tell my students (when I was a professor) that 50% of life was ATTITUDE.  Yours is sounding very healthy!  (the other half of life is, of course, ATTITUDE).
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)