Author Topic: A glut of pre-64 Model 70s  (Read 1334 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
A glut of pre-64 Model 70s
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:10:21 AM »
Man,

I just got off of gunbroker.  I can't believe how many pre-64 Model 70s they have listed there, in lots of calibers.   What is worse, is that the prices look basically the same as they did 4 years ago, when I was thinking about getting one.

A glut, I suppose, caused by the hard economic times.  Plus, the new shooters in their 20s just don't give a hoot about them.

Mannyrock

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A glut of pre-64 Model 70s
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:31:40 AM »
Some of the prices folks are asking for them on Gunbroker is just plain nuts.
I'm not surprised their is a glut.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »
Being for sale does not in fact make them sold.
Inflation keeping up with the greater supply may be another factor in pricing.

Could the glut be explained by tougher times? or is it the inflated pricing making folks say "well for that kinda money I would let it go" I'm not quite sure myself.

I'm pretty pleased with my S.C. Model 70 and can't see that kind of money for a simple shooter.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline spruce

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
Could be the market for them is starting to dry up - or should I say die off!

What I mean is (other than collectors) the guys who most lamented the '64 "changeover" were, at the time, in their mid 20's and older which would make the younger ones in their 70's now.  I would guess a lot of them are phasing out their hunting/shooting activities and starting to sell off some of their more valued guns.

In addition, the younger shooters of today are more into black rifles (including stainless/synthetic bolt rifles) and aren't nearly as interested in paying a high price for what they view as an old fashioned rifle.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
I'm only getting 4 querying with pre M70?
    Ray

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
duplicate
    Ray

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:31:10 AM »

To find them, go to the subcategory called Rifles, and just type in pre-64.   It will pick up both the model 70s and the model 94s, but it is the simplest way to find them.

I think that the thing that absolutely kills the usefulness of these rifles is that nobody makes a good, reasonably priced replacement stock for them, in either synthetic or wood.  You would think that with the hundreds of thousands of these rifles that were made, somebody like HS Precision or Bell & Carlson would make one, but they don't.

Of course, you can get a McMillan replacement stock, for more than $500!  Or you can get a Ramline (piece of junk) for $100.

Or you can get a Boyd's "Classic" replacement stock, in semi-inletted raw wood, but it is not in the same configeration as the original stocks.

And, if you have the Featherweight model, you can just about forget it!

Due to the collectors value of these rifles, it is almost impossible to get a used original stock that is in very good condition, for less than a small fortune.

The only used ones around are ones that have been totally butchered or beat to hell, with the stocks cut for recoil pads, or the checkering totally messed up, or a big notch taken out of the side for a peep sight, or with putty repairs for chips and breaks, or decorative "carvings" by some bored mountain man.

I can see why people who hunt would rather just buy the new ones made in SC.

Mannyrock

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:58:51 AM »
Didn't Kimber make a good M70 Copy??
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »

Due to the collectors value of these rifles, it is almost impossible to get a used original stock that is in very good condition, for less than a small fortune.

Mannyrock

manny,

I think I know - PM me
    Ray

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »

Mannyrock

manny,

I think I know where I can get an original stock for a 270 if your interested?

Take it off the board please.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline slick45

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:52 AM »
Good topic. Something I have thought about awhile ago. I'm a huge M70 fan. I have several pre-64 M70's. However, I am a smart shopper. I look for deals and if the seller is willing to wheel and deal the better. I believe the price has gone up since 8years ago when I started looking at them. BTW I am in my 20's (someone mentioned this earlier). I asked my father about my investment. "If I'm buying them now will others later in time be willing to aquire them also when I am willing to let them go"? Basicly, am I making a sound investment? Frankly part of me dosen't care because they are truly awsome rifles, however they can put a dent in your budget. I do hope in time they continue to climb and their is a demand.

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »

Slick,

Eight years ago, you could have bought a high grade corporate bond, in demonitions as little as $1,000.00, that paid 7% per year, which means it would have doubled your money in about 10 years.    Sadly, the pre-64s are not increasing in value at anywhere near that rate.

So, for pure investment, the Win 70 is not that great.

A few exceptions might be those in extremely great (near excellent) shape, in .300 H&H, or other rare caliber.   These seem to have doubled in price in just 7 years.

If you are going to collect, you are always much better off to buy one really nice piece in the highest condition you can find (excellent), as opposed to several in merely VG to Fine condition.

Best, Mannyrock