Author Topic: Planning for the Defeat of Fort Pallet  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Planning for the Defeat of Fort Pallet
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:12 AM »
Thinking about it, it appears by building  Fort Pallet I set off the Arms race again....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2012, 05:20:40 AM »
Taken during a History Channel filming on the Shiloh Military Base in Canada.  The object was to see what the effect of solid shot was on wood fortifications.  We fired on it with 10 pdr Parrott service loads.

The rounds penetrated and were seen going over a ridge about 1/4 mile away.  The interesting thing was that you couldn't push a pencil through the three inch projectile hole.  This points to the difficulty of destroying a wood structure.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »
One thing though, that looks like two rows of 4x4. Pallets are more likely to be 1x3 or 1x4. Even the better pallets that I've seen have their week points (either the support stucture or the corners).

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:10 AM »
I am not trying to equate 4x6s to pallets, only pointing out that it is not easy to destroy wood structures of any type.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
If  I was up to traveling and had the time I would join the arms race.........
I think..... building a bowling ball size howitzer used with cast concrete balls
would ruin fort pallets day...... 
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
I think..... building a bowling ball size howitzer used with cast concrete balls

These 3" concrete cannon balls (the black ones) could be used in a stack of grape shot for that gun.
I would even donate enough of them to make a stack. :o :o
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »
... a bowling ball size howitzer used with cast concrete balls would ruin Fort Pallet's day.

A bowling ball gun with bowling balls would be more than enough.  Southpaw's mortar did most of the damage; the problem was hitting the target.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »

Bowling  mortars always welcomed at our shoot.

Howitzers how ever must be 1/2 scale and meet ATF definition of antique.  ;D

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »
You need something like carcass shot, then once you hit it, it'll just burn down.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »

Bowling  mortars always welcomed at our shoot.

Howitzers how ever must be 1/2 scale and meet ATF definition of antique.  ;D
Now thats a Ruling I am not aware of but If I MUST........
Well of course it's half scale...... I just have to find a large seige howizter twice the size of the bowling ball....... that's all........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
     Gentlemen,   Thank you for giving us some good ideas.  I hope that after we receive Double D.’s drawings for the American 18 Pdr. Carronade, we will be able to get a better idea of dimensional solutions to physical elements of the typical Smasher’s design.  We believe that Flagman1776 has a good idea when he says he thinks that better sights rather than a bigger gun are required.  These Carronades had pretty crude sights to be sure.  They were similar to Mauser sights, but had the “V” up front and the inverted V at the rear.  Experiments on the range in Colorado will be necessary to “regulate” the sights for a 200 yards “Point Blank” sight picture.  “Point Blank” range means the range at which the target will be hit as well as all targets situated at lesser distances with the same sight picture.

Shred told us about an interesting contest in which a 2X4 was cut off by pistol fire after many shots which was made very graphic by viewing a link to a video of this excersise.  We understand the concept very well having done that more than a few times.  However, what would happen, we wonder, if you were firing loads that produced only one-half the velocity with the same bullet, (Long Gun vel. VS Carronade vel.).  Would a larger, more fractured hole result?  Could the 2x4 be cut off with fewer shots?  We believe it would, after seeing what a slow moving 45-70 target bullet did to my target frame at 600 yards during a Colorado School of Trades contest in 1977. Almost the entire student body went to the former WWII Army range at Buffalo Creek, Colo. for a little informal competition. Long story short;  It was my turn to shoot, so I loaded my custom made (at school) 45-70, Rem. Rolling Block, rifle and shot a few of my 1,000 fps, 100 yard target loads at the distant target.  After several shots, I found the range and then had to merely dope the 15 to 25 mph wind from 9 o’clock.  Seeing geysers of dirt to the right of my target frame, I cranked the front sight way over to the right to make the bullets go about 6 feet to the left. My third sighter shot caused concern among the target changers in the pit at the butts.  My future business partner, Mike, who was a target changer that day, described what happened this way:  “First we heard your 550 grain bullets buzz-saw overhead after ricocheting at two or three hundred yards, then we saw them strike 6 to 8 feet to the right, then, whack!!!....you hit the right side of the target frame which was a 2x4 with it’s edge to the shooter.  Everyone in the pit ducked as a huge, three foot long, splinter was ripped from the frame and hundreds of smaller ones were blown away in the wind.”  That heavy, slowly moving, 45-70 bullet acted the way a large, heavy, Carronade round shot, does.  It smashed, compressed and pried the wood open, rather than cutting the wood fibers, while forcing it’s way through the board, dislodging that large splinter in it’s wake.

Double D.,  I think you did set off another arms race.  I would encourage ANYONE with the equipment or having a friend with it to join us by building or by designing a cannon that has a chance to do some destruction at 100 yards or 200 yards.  Mike and I have set an absolute maximum of $ 1,000 on this build which means NO outside contractors and no expensive elements are allowed on this gun with the sole exception of the functional tube made from 436 pounds of pre-hardened 4150 steel.  This item alone will eat up about ¾ of our budget!  This also means that we will be doing all the work on our “Smasher” which, of course, is the fun part.  We are making it in a modular fashion, for ease of transportation and set-up.

Thank you Artilleryman and Rayfan for the information on resistance to  destruction offered by wood structures.  I particularly like those nice photos of the timber barricade holed by the rifled field gun.  Gives me an idea for a tough Carronade test target.  Mike and I agree with what Artilleryman said about it not being easy to destroy wood structures of any type.  I am currently reading a good book, Ticonderoga, Key to a Continent by Edward Hamilton which is mainly about the construction of Fort Ticoderoga at the south-end, narrows of Lake Champlain which the French and the Canadians in 1755 determined was crucial to maintaining control over the Champlain Valley and the area around Lake George.  They named it “Carillon”after the music made by the brook which came down the waterfalls from Lake George.  From this book I learned that typical, wilderness forts large and small were built of earth and timber and were constructed in a way that certainly prevented any real damage from solid shot.  “These main walls, the major defense of the place, were composed of heavy oak timbers, fourteen or fifteen inches square, laid horizontally one on top of the other.  There were two such wooden walls, ten feet apart and tied to each other with cross timbers dovetailed in place.  The space between was then filled with dirt and rubble.  This form of construction was cheaper and quicker than one using masonry, and from the immediate military point of view, better because the cannonballs would become harmlessly embedded in the wood instead of shattering the stone facing.”

Zulu and KABAR2,   I think if you two would collaborate on a spectacular piece of concrete projecting ordnance and also the munitions for it, that a new level of escalation could be reached in this arms race.  Careful about how much powder you use in this beast of a howitzer, because loose gravel will not knock down Fort Pallet!!

Mike and I are staying out of any discussions about concrete bowling balls or even real ones fired from Howitzer type cannon or flaming carcasses, for that matter. Rayfan87, that is a really practical suggestion if we were shooting in the winter, but not so much in August with the range surrounded by very dry looking grassy fields.  Along with everything else around here, I should be receiving DD’s drawings tomorrow and be able to get an intimate look at an 18 pounder Carronade by studying original dimensioned drawings.  I am looking forward to doing that more than you can imagine!  Thanks again, Douglas.

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2012, 04:17:10 PM »
Fort Stanwix, Rome, NY as reconstructed by NPS...  is such a earth filled timber fort with huge dovetailed corners. http://www.revolutionaryday.com/nyroute5/ftstanwix/default.htm
http://www.revolutionaryday.com/nyroute5/ftstanwix/entrance.jpg

Fort William Henry is constructed of round logs filled with earth.
http://www.barzso.com/Fort%20William%20Henry/Fort-William-Henry-01.html
 http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo08009.html

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
The interesting thing was that you couldn't push a pencil through the three inch projectile hole.

You should have used wadcutters.   ;)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
Wadcutters would have done a better job for sure, and I use a wadcutter design for a light weight projectile and light powder charge for short range targeting.  When everything is going right they produce a 4 inch group at 100 yards, and 6-7 inch group at 200 yards.  If I was shooting at a pallet structure out to 200 yards this is what I would use.

Offline Double D

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »
Pallet slat hit side on...now who was it who shot balls with red paint!

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »
Do you mean something like this ?

Armorer77

Offline Double D

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
Do you mean something like this ?

Armorer77

That one would be perfectm.  Get some zinc  balls from the Rotometal Group buy and the walls of Fort Pallet are in danger of being  breeched.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2012, 05:32:14 AM »
I believe armorer77's gun would do the trick.  A relatively large bore and low velocity should batter the pallets very nicely.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
I have zinc balls . We traded . Remember?  ;D

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
Chainshot! ;)
zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »
I would think using an actual can might be better, if it keyholes you would do more damage.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »
Chainshot made with 2 of the small cans filled w\concrete.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2012, 03:14:23 AM »
The main problem with chain shot is it increases wear on the barrel, bar shot might be better.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2012, 04:18:24 AM »

HE & WP!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
      Considering all the associated costs of building and then hauling the Carronade beast to Cut Bank, we consider this to be a three year project, especially as the saving up money for the required material goes.  We will, one day, build a Carronade, most likely in this size, but we also agree with Double D. that one fort is surely enough and that smaller ordnance will do an adequate job on it.  I particularly like the beer can/soda can bore size.  Even in a short howitzer, it should provide a lot of visual effect on the fort, and with the zinc balls Double D. mentioned, you should be able to hit it as well.

So, we will go forward with an idea we have been considering for 5 years now, a re-creation of the 24 Pdr. Siege and Garrison Howitzer M1844 in beer can bore size which is approx. 3/16" less than 1/2 scale.  It's so close we will call it 1/2 scale.   This cannon is commonly called the 24 Pdr. Flank Howitzer.  It was designed to shoot 22 pound canister rounds to protect fort walls against infantry attack, but can throw an 18 pound shell or 24 pound solid shot as well.  The good thing about this howitzer is the fact that we already have a round of 1018 steel with which to machine the tube and enough white oak for the carriage and a very complete set of government drawings from AOP. The really good news is that, in half scale, this piece of ordnance only weighs 187.5 pounds!  Plus carriage weight, of course.

Now we will have some money left for gas, food and lodging.   

Tracy and Mike

Seacoast photo.......24 Pdr. Flank Howitzer enfilading the northern moat along the Demilune at Fort Pulaski, Georgia.

24 Pdr. Siege and Garrison Howitzer M1844 in a Caponiere within the remaining portion of Civil War Fort Alcatraz on Alcatraz Island in San Fransisco Bay.  Photographer unknown.

Offline Double D

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »
I am already programming the GPS controlled digital micrometer to look for 32 inches  muzzle face to rear of base ring and 6.9 inch  diameter base ring and 2.66 diameter bore....should the GPS mic detect an over sized gun it will send a signal to some guys I know who fly Predators and they will fire a Heck-fire paint ball missile and splat the gun!!  ;D.

This should be an interesting build.   I am looking forward to seeing how you build the gun, especially eccentric roller.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
       Let’s see, back when those GPS locators were first sold to the public, you could locate yourself to about plus or minus 50 feet.  Then five years ago it was +/- 20 feet.  Lets say, with absolutely wide-eyed optimism, it's now +/- 10 inches.  Well, Douglas, with that kind of instrument accuracy we will be ready to stand inspection at any time. If you suddenly approach, carrying a common, hardware store, wooden yardstick, we might be in trouble.

As far as the Flank Howitzer build is concerned, we are really looking forward to it.  That unusual carriage is loaded with hardware and making it should be fun.  In the photo below, taken by an unknown photographer at Fort Alcatraz, you can see what Double D. was referring  to when he wrote:  " I am looking forward to seeing how you build the gun, especially the eccentric roller."   See caption.

Tracy

In this rear view you can see the forked hand spike which is engaged with the eccentric axle collars which rotate on a central axle which, in turn, rotates the off-set eccentric axles, around which rotate the two eccentric rollers which are pressed down into contact with the top surface of the Chassis when the return of the gun into battery is ordered.  The eccentric rollers lift the rear of the gun carriage up and roll about the eccentric axles as the gun is returned.  They are thrown out of engagement when the gun is in battery. The centrally located object is a pulley for a rope which assists the carriage movement.

Offline Double D

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »
Ah yes, +/- 10 inches....your doomed!  Ther paintballers are going to get you!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
Pallet slat hit side on...now who was it who shot balls with red paint!

Douglas ,My fox balls were painted red and black . I havn't seen that pic B4 ,nice ! 8)

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »
Hmmmm.  Beer-can caliber paint ball?

:o ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)