Author Topic: H&R Topper Line Discontinued for 2012  (Read 2409 times)

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
H&R Topper Line Discontinued for 2012
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:21 AM »
Hey folks... I was just talking to H&R about parts for a 12 gauge turkey gun build and was informed that the Topper line has been discontinued for 2012... not sure what else is "biting the bullet?"
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R Topper Line Discontinued for 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »
I wouldn't rely 100% on anything you hear from Madison CS, they notoriously share bad information. I can see some of the Topper line being discontinued, but not all of them, the Trap gun would be the first I'd expect to go.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:49:30 AM »
They said ALL Toppers including the trap gun are discontinued... they also said that the Pardner line is staying but models will change... and they will no longer carry any single barrel shotguns or barrels that use choke tubes... the only 2012 shotgun models with tubes are the pardner pumps.

I also checked Davidson's and all Topper models have been discontinued from their inventory.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline timothy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »
Im suprised to hear that, impulse buys at walmart are a huge part of the industry. The topper was one of the better cheap guns its hard to imagine them not selling. I still have mine my dad got me when i was 13.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »
Im suprised to hear that, impulse buys at walmart are a huge part of the industry. The topper was one of the better cheap guns its hard to imagine them not selling. I still have mine my dad got me when i was 13.

They are still carrying the Pardner line and they retail here in Canada for $127... so they are still a cheap alternative. Cabela's Canada has also discontinued the Topper line... and listed them as discontinued. 

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »
Locally, I haven't seen many new Toppers in recent years. You could order them, yes, but most retailers who carry H&R guns typically have the Pardners and Handi-Rifles. Pardners remain popular and that is what the local Walmarts all carry. It appears that H&R/Remington is simply directing their attention and resources to where the volume has been. Sorry to see the Topper go, though, and it's niche as a "slightly upscale" Pardner (IMO). 

Offline mjh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
Well we'll have to see where this goes, my 20ga topper is my go to shotgun.  Course I got it before Remmington took over and well I don't have a closet full of them so in today's world yea gotta make what sells, if pardner's sell better then well make pardners...........
It really is too bad  :'( I'm glad I got a good one while I could......

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
Looks like they're gone, they're not in the 2012 catalog, H&Rs start on page 26 of the Marlin/H&R catalog.  :(

Tim

http://www.digitaleditiononline.com/publication/?i=89652&pre=1

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
I've never fully understood the Topper line anyway.  Back in my younger days I had an H&R Topper that was on the same quality level as todays Partner. Now they are one on the "higher end" shotguns with the bright frames and I don't know the status of H&R at all.  I thought they went under and turned it over to NEF.

Offline TxGun

• Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
I've never fully understood the Topper line anyway.  Back in my younger days I had an H&R Topper that was on the same quality level as todays Partner. Now they are one on the "higher end" shotguns with the bright frames and I don't know the status of H&R at all.  I thought they went under and turned it over to NEF.

The NEF name was discontinued 2-3 years ago. The management hierarchy looks like this, if I recall correctly:

Freedom Group > Remington Arms, Inc. > Marlin Firearms > H&R 1871

The Freedom Group is the umbrella management company over some other firearms companies, but I think the above reflects H&R's particular management chain. 

I think it was just a matter of the Topper not being the seller the Pardner is. It (the Topper) was priced just a little higher and, in that price range, most people probably just opted for the Pardner. Also, I believe the new Remington 1911 is produced in Ilion, NY (not positive but I think that's the case). I wonder if production space became an issue??? In any case, I can't imagine we won't see H&R single shotguns, in the form of the Pardner, for quite a while yet. That entry-level market niche will always be there and the Pardner/Handi-Rifle are perfect offerings to fill it: inexpensive to make and to buy; easy for any novice to use; solid reputation stretching over many decades; least likely of any firearms to be affected by foolish legislators. Hard to see them going away. JMOs, of course.   

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 01:45:25 AM »
Thanks for bringing me up to date on that issue.  So are the new Partners now labeled H&R or still NEF?  While the term "entry level" does apply is isn't all inclusive.  I"m 68 years old now and have owned two auto loaders in the past and still own a 870 Remington Light Special Field pump 20 ga with the straight English stock and I love it for birds.  However, for all things mammal I use a Partner 12 Ga single shot because I CHOOSE to.  I quess I will always have a passion for the simple break action single load.  Thanks again for a very informative post.  I learned a lot.

Oh yeah, I cut my Partner stock to straight also.  I quess I'm a sucker for the English stock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 04:29:30 AM »
There is no NEF any more, just H&R.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Brandtransition/

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:38:28 PM »
The topper name has come and gone before. It'll be back.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun