Author Topic: 1.65x5x36 on a .308Win, did I make a mistake?  (Read 936 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
1.65x5x36 on a .308Win, did I make a mistake?
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »
Was considering putting a fixed 4 power on the .308Win H-R Ultra rifle, but instead opted for a 1.65x5x36. Shots are 25 yards out to 300 or 350 yards tops. A few of my friends say I should of bought a 3x9 at minimum and maybe a 4x12. I was thinking more about field of view than magnification. Scope is being shipped and now I'm second guessing my decision.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: 1.65x5x36 on a .308Win, did I make a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
25 yds to 350 yds is a big difference with greatly different needs.  Last season while hunting over a field I had two deer approach my stand from 200 yds away.  I waited and waited as they got closer and closer.  I finally shot the lead deer before she got too close for my comfort.  Range turned out to be 28 yds and the deer was still walking toward me.  Had my scope turned down to 4X.  I begain watching them at 200 yds on 12X.  Too much magnification at very close ranges can be a problem on moving targets.
I think a 3X9 or 4X12or 4.5X14 is about perfect if you mostly hunt fields, which I do.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »
Maybe I should of clarified my needs better. The vast number of shots will be at 25 yards to 150 yards with the occasional open field shot at 300-350 yards max. Dense woods to field edges. I need a scope that can perform well at close range and at medium distance ranges, I don't do the long distance shots at game. That's why I was really leaning toward the low magnification scopes. Heck I shoot deer out to 125 yards with iron sights on my muzzleloader and do just fine. Maybe I was wrong to buy the scope that I did. I could of bought a 3x9 but didn't.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
Was considering putting a fixed 4 power on the .308Win H-R Ultra rifle, but instead opted for a 1.65x5x36. Shots are 25 yards out to 300 or 350 yards tops. A few of my friends say I should of bought a 3x9 at minimum and maybe a 4x12. I was thinking more about field of view than magnification. Scope is being shipped and now I'm second guessing my decision.

I have 3 rifles with 4.5 - 12 power scopes and the rest are 3 - 9 power. When I hunt varmints, then I need the higher magnification...hence the 4.5 to 12 power scopes. But when I go hunting for big game the vast majority of my shots are less than 100 yards...my longest shot on a big game animal was 226 yards. My scopes spend a lot of time on the lower power settings.

Having a 1.65 - 5 power range on your scope is probably pretty good, unless you tend to shoot your quarry at ranges in excess of 300 yards or so.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
Ya done good Jim.

Most folks would be insulted if you asked them if they could cleanly take a deer at 70 yards with an iron sighted rifle.  Your 5x at 350 yards has the same sight picture.  Since most of your shots are at closer ranges the wider field of view at lower power is more important that the high end magnification.

My .308 wears a 1.6-6x40 Burris Euro-Diamond.  I hunt at no higher than 2x and most always at 1.5x.  If the deer is farther away I'll have time to turn the magnification up unless I did something careless and the deer is outbound and, in that case, I have no business shooting anyway.

Let the folks who think they need a 4-12x50 scope keep looking through their paper towel rolls and I'll keep my toilet paper tube.

Lance

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
You didn't make a bad choice. I shot deer at 300 yards with a 4x scope. That said my 308 wears a 2x7 Leupold. I have it on 2x 90% of the time. Too much magnification without a good rest causes a shakey hold. Your better of with less power on a medium range deer gun that will get the majority of it's shots at short range. If your going to shoot long range you will have time to turn it up and won't need anything in the 9x to 12x range. My opinion of larger bell scopes is that it raises your head off the stock, not a good thing for fast off hand shots.

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »
I hunt the woods in VA mostly.  I have scopes with magnification as high as 4-12X.  What I like the best are my 2 X 7 and 1.5 X 5.  You made a good choice.  No such thing as an Ideal scope for every situation. 
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:36:27 AM »
I actually prefer a bit more power when the ranges extend out past 300 yards but then i rarely use a 308 for that work anyway. All three of my 308s wear 2x7s and ive yet to need more power. I say i prefer something like a 3x9 for long range work but last summer shot two deer at over 400 with my 264 one day and after i got in the truck i realized my scope was set on 4x. didnt even notice the differnce when i shot.
blue lives matter

Offline quatroclick

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:46:06 AM »
I can't imagine a much better choice unless you wanted to do a lot of paper punching at long range, or were hunting dark forests at night.  I like 4x and 6x fixed scopes on my game rifles, my favorite being a leupold M8 6X42.  I have a 1.5-5, 2-7, 3-9 and 3.5-10 that are nice hunting scopes, but the 4-12, 4.5-14 and 6-18 variables sit in boxes on the shelf.  In the field, my variables sit at 4x or 6x and never get touched.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:14:55 AM »
Well I thought I had made a good choice for my needs, but comments from the yahoo's I call friends got me thinking otherwise.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »
People have used this analogy to help explain magnification to me.

1 power is open sights or a red dot type optic. Find out how far you are comfortable and accurate shooting this setup. Take that distance and multiply the scope magnification. If you are very comfortable with the open sights at 50 yards you can expect the same sight picture at 250 yards with a 5X scope. Now you also can be happy with 75 yard accuracy and that takes you out to 325. YMMV

Consider carrying a set of sticks if long range is on the menu. You'll get more good out of a steady rest than from increased magnification, and a dodgy rest.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 06:21:29 AM »
 Nevermind the yahoos with the 8-20x56 ballistic tactical scopes on their 300 RUMs. I see them at the shooting range all the time; they don't know anything about optics, rifles, or hunting, and they can't shoot their own rifles - sometimes not even from the concrete benches, let alone from field positions. 

Clear optics with sharp view in low light are more important than magnification; wide field of view is more important than magnification; a reticule and that is clearly visible in low light is more important than magnification; a scope and a reticule that allow you to see and aim in the shadows against sunlight at sunset and sunrise is more important than magnification; good optics is more important than cheesy lighted reticules and magnification.

I hunt with 2x, 2.5x and 3x, the lowest settings on my scopes. I use 5x-8x when i sight in or check zero, just because i like the tiny groups. I shoot clays on the berm at 200 and 250 yards all the time, almost every week,  with 2.5x.

You made the right choice. If your scope has decent optics, you have what you need. Try aiming with both eyes open at 2.5x, it will allow you to shoot faster and better. If the rifle does not recoil too much, you might be able to see and call your hits.       

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:24 AM »
Low magnification with its wide feild of view is awesome when you jump game while stalking...there's pleanty of time to adjust the scope to higher magnification if needed for a longer shot.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »
 You made a good choice. If you are going to shoot at game @ 300-350 yards practice and you'll be ok.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
At longer ranges, the front sight of an open sight can cover a lot of target (deer or paper).  You will shoot much more accurately with your scope.  I do not agree that 5X is just fine at 350 yards.  You will not be able to see your "wobble".  Judge for yourself.  Your scope should be great at the 25-125 yard range you most frequently shoot.  In fact, it is perfect, in my opinion.  I use a 1X4 Leupold for stalking and jump shooting.  I can see my barrel through the scope at 2X and it greatly speeds my target acquisition.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 04:39:24 AM »
5x is plenty for big game as far as you should be shooting your 308. This trend to higher and higher magnification is relatively new and just another gimmic to sell hunters expensive stuff they don't need. Before the trend started no one felt handicapped with fixed 4X scopes for long ranges. The only question was whether it was too much magnification for snap shooting close moving targets.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:51 AM »
I like a 2-7X36 leo. Its more compact than a 3X9 on a rifle for woods hunting. I like ed open sights most of my life but as age creeps up the scope helps ID bucks and rack size . I think your scope choice will work well and not add alot weight.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
I hunted all through junior high, high school and into college with a fixed 4x scope on my .270 bolt action. With my current 3-9 power scopes that are on my hunting rifles, they spend most of their time at a power setting of 3x to 5x.

If I get a shot at something way out there, I have time to take a firm shooting position, focus on my breathing, trigger control and adjust the scope to a higher setting as needed.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:46:33 AM »
I'm 65 now.  My generation grew up with open sights, then 4X Weaver scopes.  We shot recurve bows with no sight as well.  Oldtimers said scopes were bad, and some people even had the see through scope mounts.  Lots of scopes were bad, very bad.  You should see the very first Tasco products that came out of Japan.  I remember my first 3X9 scope.  It was a Leupold and we called them Gold Rings.  As now, I always hunted with it on 3X.  It sure was nice to have that extra power and a solid rest once I started hunting from elevated blinds and acquired some patience and steady nerves.  Wouldn't want to go back to the old days.  Buy good quality optics and practice with them.  Without lots of practice, good glass, and a steady rest, you might as well have open sights.

Many of the people I have encountered who disparage higher power scopes, have never spent the money for a good scope, and base their knowledge on inferior glass and limited experiences.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »
Heck I shoot deer out to 125 yards with iron sights on my muzzleloader and do just fine.

If you can shoot a deer at 125 yards with iron sights (and I'm sure you can), then I am definately impressed.  That notwithstanding, if you can shoot a deer that far with iron sights, then you really don't need a fixed 4x scope because I believe that it would hinder your shots at the 25-yard range. 

Everyone is different.  Personally, I like higher magnification scopes.  Why?  Well, honestly, I think that a lot of it has to do with all hype and marketing.  40 years ago, my father had a fixed 4x Weaver on his .30-06, and that scope served him well on deer out to 400 yards and beyond.  Nowadays, the magazines and other media forms tend to make you believe that you need a 24x scope to shoot a deer at 100 yards.  Again, I am a partial victim of the hype (but not to that degree).

Many of my scopes are variables from the 3x-9x range to 4x-12x range.  Yes, I have certain models (like Bushnell Elite 4200s that are 4x-16x, as well as Nightforce NXS that is 5.5x-22x), but most of my scopes are in the 3x-9x-ish range.  Truth be told, you really don't need more magnification than that for most shooting out to about 300 yards.  Keep in mind that I also have a scope in the 1.5x-4x range (or close to it) but that is on my custom .375 H&H Mag.

So given that even I have fallen victim to the hype in the past (and still kinda do today at some level), even I have to say that I believe that you made the right choice in getting a variable scope starting with 1.5x given that many of your shots start around 25 yards. :)

Zachary

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
I think you ought to sell it to me so I can put it on my 308.
In my opinion you did just fine a 1.5 x 5 should be no handicap what so ever at any range you mentioned.  I personally have straight 4x on two rifles and a straight 4.75x on the other , one a 308, one a 6.5 Rem. Mag, and the other a 30/06. If the gun fits you and the scope is mounted correctly you will find it quicker than open sights at the close ranges and a definate advantage for any of the longer shots. Most problems people have  using scopes stems from impropoer mounting and rifles that don't fit.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
Age can at times determine how much or how little magnification is needed.  For years I used a straight 4 X for deer, now my old eyes need as much magnification as they can get.   I'm now using a 3x9, wished a couple time last season that I had at least a 4X12.  At 250 plus yards, I find myself running out of scope before I run out of bullet.   Just my .002

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
Again, don't listen to the yahoos, they are not shooting the gun, you are.  I own few 3X9s, they are a compromise scope and are not good for close up, and too low power for long distance.  For your application the scope you are looking at would be my first choice.  Just make sure you practice for the longer shots, where you are confident you can make them before you try shooting an animal at that range. 

I carry a .308 when hunting in Tennessee.  the ranges are close, anywhere from 15 to 30 yards usually.  I have a 1.5X5 on my .308.  Have used that scope for 40 years.  The fast close shots require a low power to find target fast.

Many years ago, a person in camp had made a bad shot on a Caribou.  Caribou was getting away.  I made a WAG shot as it was going over the ridge with my .308.  Knocked it down, it was dead by the time I got there.  Measured the shot later it was 700 yards.  If the Caribou had not already been hit I never would have taken the shot with that gun.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.