Author Topic: Dry Fire a PF-9?  (Read 2415 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Dry Fire a PF-9?
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
I read in a previous post that the instructions from Kel-Tec say not to dry fire the PF-9.  I normally wouldn't anyway but I can't find that in my instruction manual after reading it from cover to cover 3 times :-[ .

We are cautioned against dry fireing but in the Marines we dry fired our weapons repeatedly when we "snapped in".

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Dry Fire a PF-9?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:58:04 PM »
Dunno my Kel-Tec have been dry fired a bunch.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
Page 13?
Last sentence under ASSEMBLY ...."Do not dry fire your pistol, doing so can damage the firing pin and extractor spring screw." 

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
Page 13?
Last sentence under ASSEMBLY ...."Do not dry fire your pistol, doing so can damage the firing pin and extractor spring screw." 

Thank you.  It was right where you said.  My snap caps came today.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »
It's not like I have the book memorized.
I cheated. Found the info here:
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
No dry firing applies to all their firearms. I'd say they put that in there to cover their butts. Can't blame them there.  Might be able to do so but it only takes one mishap to make you wish you hadn't. I don't dryfire any of my firearms without a sna-cap or empty cartridge chambered.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
I do not dry-fire period! An accident waiting to happen.
I see and hear all of the crap on TV shows about it being GOOD PRACTICE!
Without seeing where the bullet strikes, it is not practice. Another PEVE is when they show
the shooter SWEEPING the muzzle left and right after their shots. Pointing the muzzle at lord knows what!
VERY, VERY basic shooting safety says DON"T POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT!
They just are giving bad advice to me. And when the gun fails due to these practices, the gun gets blamed!
Classic example is the CZ52. Everyone believes they have weak firing pins. Not so, they were just not meant to be dry-fired.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:52 AM »
 The reason you see people train to "sweep" left/right is for two main reasons; First, it helps break up tunnel vision caused by "Wacky Tacky" ( tachia psychia or something like that, ha) and Second, to see if there are "multiple threats" as the fight could be over or just getting started!  One should also look over their shoulder, while still being aware of where their muzzle is pointing. "Finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target" keeps one from shooting what they don't want shot. Train as you fight, fight as you train.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »
The reason you see people train to "sweep" left/right is for two main reasons; First, it helps break up tunnel vision caused by "Wacky Tacky" ( tachia psychia or something like that, ha) and Second, to see if there are "multiple threats" as the fight could be over or just getting started!  One should also look over their shoulder, while still being aware of where their muzzle is pointing. "Finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target" keeps one from shooting what they don't want shot. Train as you fight, fight as you train.

Excellent post!

If I were going to dry fire my Kel Tecs, I'd use snap caps
Dry fire is an excellent way to train as long as a few common sense precautions are taken. It lets you practice grip, draw, presentation, sight picture, and trigger press without firing a shot. Just sending rounds down range is not practice without the afore mentioned skills. I would suggest that anyone not capable of dry firing safely may not have the gun handling skills required to safely handle firearms. I'm remembering all the chatter about the Glock being unsafe as it had no external safety and had to be dry fired to disassemble.
To that I would say that a person who is not absolutely sure the chamber is empty before disassembling a firearm, and has not learned to keep his finger off the trigger when not ready to fire,  needs to take up golf.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,