Author Topic: thoughts on sealing primers and mouths of cc ammo?  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
thoughts on sealing primers and mouths of cc ammo?
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »
Don't know if it has been covered, but I was thinking that (especially with deep concealment handguns say in a belly band or even ankle) might get sweat/moisture on it. what are thoughts on sealing the case mouths and primers?

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: thoughts on sealing primers and mouths of cc ammo?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
In my opinion its a total waist of time and supplies, its simply not required.

yooper77

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »
Yooper times two.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:16:15 AM »
Kinda like taking the time to put fine art work on a suppository.

Offline Anduril

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:57:41 AM »
Two steps that are not needed.
OK, maybe if you are in the habit of wading streams while wearing your ankle holster  ;)
Ammo will survive the dunk test quite well.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:32:56 AM »
IF I were loading "Stash" ammo for long term storage, I'd seal the primers and case mouth just like military ammo. For carry ammo that (Should) be replaced occasionally with fresh stuff, no.
It won't hurt though if it makes you feel better.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
lots of variables would decide this. climate, where you live. ones volume of sweat! a buddy of mine
will literally rust stainless steel with his sweat! I think he sweats acid. I think if I lived in a coastal
area with lots of moisture in the air, I would seal my carry ammo. I really enjoy loading my own so it
is not a waste of time for me. besides, If I am loading it for protection, I will make it as good as I
possibly can.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline fal_762x51

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »
I live in an environment that has 99% humidity always rains in the winter time and carry while running (sweating). I practice with my carry ammo every three months and replace with new cartridges. I never had a problem with squibs, ftf, etc. in my 5 years of carrying. 

Except the only time I had a problem was my first time carrying. The gun was oiled, straight from the safe to my holster. The oil leeched down into the cartridge and when I went to shoot/replace my ammo, I had a squib. Since then I have only used dry lube and never had that problem again.

Offline tboy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »
I carry one of the little North American .22 mags in the side pocket of my carpenter jeans.
Yepper, I've thrown it in the washer twice. Full wash cycle.
Doh!

I blew it out with compressed air loaded the ammo and it all fired both times.

The cell phone in the other pocket, not so good...........

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »
Permabond A1062 - $95.00 1/2 liter.

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
We had a flood here in May 2011. My toolbox off of my truck was stored in one of my storage buildings. In that tool box was a couple dozen 9mm and .40 reloads. They stayed underwater for about 5 days. I took them to the range with me, and surprise! All but two of them fired! They were lead bullet loads, without any sealer around the bullet or primer. That kind of failure rate would be unacceptable in SD ammo, but was still interesting. Leads me to believe that humidity and perspiration are not a big worry when it comes to ammo.
Savage

Offline abigdiesel

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:58:57 AM »
Clear (or colored, whatever) finger nail polish.  Just an option, I don't think it is necessary.
"The American Revolution was a beginning, not a consummation."  ~Woodrow Wilson

NRA and VHA member

Offline S.S.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
Most military ammunition is sealed, Must be just cause for the added expense.
I use a type of ink when I do seal bullets and primers. 
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline chg

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 02:48:47 AM »
On a few occassions I've had a cartridge in my pocket go through the washer and dryer.  I marked the case head with a black marker to identify it and set it aside with a note on what happened.  I shot these recently rather than pull them just to see how they performed.  There were no noticable adverse effects.

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:35 AM »
I'm thinking: If the primer is bottomed out in the pocket, and there is proper bullet pull tension, ammo could stay underwater for months without adverse effect.
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 06:45:24 AM »
If it wasn't a good idea the police ammo from Winchester and Federal would not be sealed . Water may or may not effect your carry ammo but oil will and some of the super lubes will go places that water couldn't dream of going water dosen't creep like oil can into a primer ( many primers are themselves water proofed ). I work out side alot I have come in laid my carry gun on the dresser and had it condensate as it cooled when the humidity was high and the AC was set low the rust I get every summer comes from it. I carry only sealed ammo why not give yourself every insurance you can ? As for hunting ammo I seal with stuff made to seal ammo or a paint marker. With the paint marker comming in several colors the ammo can be color coded.
I also switch ammo and shoot old ammo for pratice. I guess I need to be educated as to why its not important to insure that the last chance you may have to save your life is the place to be cheap ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
thoughts on sealing primers and mouths of cc ammo?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
I live in Seward, Alaska. We are classified as a rainforest. A maritime rainforest at that. Needless to say its wet... Always.

I usually carry a .44 magnum with a small holster for easy packing, it doesn't cover much of the gun. Gun gets wet and stays wet, so do the slugs in the chamber. 

There are times where the rounds in that gun will go months like that, get wet, end of whatever trip I wipe them dry, dry and oil the gun, put them right back in.  Never have I ever had one of my .44 mag loads misfire, or quib, even after getting repeatedly wet. I've never used any sealant on any load.

You are using a primer that the cup seals enough to hold in 25000-60000 psi depending on your caliber. And a bullet that is seated strong enough the recoil from the previous load won't move it.  To think moisture could get in past all of that is silly.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Savage

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
Shootall has a valid point.  What level of exposure to a penetrating catalyst would be required to render ammo inert?  So, I dropped one of my .40 reloads into a jar and covered it with "PB" penetrating oil. I use it frequently, it works great on rusted/frozen bolts and nuts. It's been in there about an hour. I can't imagine a circumstance where ammo could unintentionally be subjected to such conditions. Shortly, I'm going outside and give it a go. Will post results then.

Savage

Offline Savage

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Well, after 70 minutes submerged in penetrating oil, the round fired! Didn't run  it over the chrono, but there was no loss of power that I could detect. The bullet went through a piece of new treated landscape timer and was lost in the ground. I can't imagine a situation where any ammo would be subjected to those conditions. Now I have to wonder at what point, (if any) ammo would fail when submerged in penetrating oil. Curious soul that I am, I dropped another cartridge in the oil. I'll give that one a go in the morning. The first test was enough to prove to me that using sealant is unnecessary, but just for grins I'll try it again after about a 12hr soak.
Savage

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
Hey Savage,
that is an interesting test.  I cant wait to see the 12 hour test.  Are you planning a 24 hour test?
Doug

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Dougk,

Actually I think the first test has got to be way beyond the level any ammo under any conditions could be subjected to. I just wanted to go way beyond that just to see what level of exposure to lubricant/penetrants. If this round fires, or fails to fire, I'm done either way. Just curious at this point.
On my way out now!
Savage

Offline Savage

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 11:42:21 PM »
Well guys, the round fired! For information purposes, the test loadings were put together as follows:
Round one-- CCI case, wolf SPP, Promo Powder, 170 gr LSWC from Missouri Bullet Company. 
Round two-- Same as above, but the case was Remington.     
Both were submerged in "PB Penetrating Catalyst." Round one for 70". Round two for 11' 30".

If anyone feels the need to seal their loaded rounds, then by all means go ahead.  I'm happy with mine as they are. 
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »
There have been several magazine articles where it was ststed tow NYC police officers sprayed there carry gun with WD -40 each shift . Both had misfires and both got shot. I have read also that is why police ammo is sealed now . true , don't know. The idea of a primer holding extreme pressure on the surface sounds good but consider the case does also and it expands to seal , I would suggest the primer displays the same behavior expanding under pressure to seal.
Hey I wear a belt and suspenders ! some don't even wear a belt  ;D

Offline Savage

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:09 AM »
I see a test in your future, shootall! Let us know how soaking ammo in WD40 works out. May be a waste of time tho. Doubt that WD40 is as invasive as PB. I'm satisfied that under any where near normal conditions, I'll not be worried about ammo failures due to moisture or oils.
Savage

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 05:54:29 AM »
I see a test in your future, shootall!

..............to see if his ammo fires or his trousers fall down?  ;D
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 06:14:31 AM »
Well I have that condition NOAZZATALL so a test is not needed for the pants. I might just try the WD-40 as it might be interesting to find out first hand.

But could someone explain the reason a person would take even a remote chance when it comes to life or death ?

Offline Savage

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »
But could someone explain the reason a person would take even a remote chance when it comes to life or death ?

After my little informal test, I don't feel like I'm taking any chances.  I'm much more likely to win the lottery than have ammo fail for lack of sealer.  A couple of years ago I started applying sealant to my 5.56 JIC ammo. It took me half a day to seal what I could load in a couple hours. Pistol ammo, don't even think about it! At the volumes I load I wouldn't have time to shoot if I sealed it all.
Seal it if it makes you feel safer, I still haven't won the lottery! :)
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 07:49:16 AM »
 ;D , maybe I need to shoot more !

Offline Savage

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 07:50:24 AM »
Ok, one FINAL test. I have submerged one .45acp and one 9mm round in WD40. Both lead bullet reloads. Somewhere around this time tomorrow, I'll attempt to fire them. Will report results. If these fire, I'm more likely to be the next pope than have ammo fail due to oil/water degradation.  Be back tomorrow with results.
Savage

Offline Savage

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 07:55:56 AM »
;D , maybe I need to shoot more !

Or seal less!! ;D
Savage