Author Topic: thoughts on sealing primers and mouths of cc ammo?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: thoughts on sealing primers and mouths of cc ammo?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 07:57:30 AM »
I hate to shoot um up after painting on all those pretty colors
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
Here it is guys: After being submerged in WD40 for about 25 hrs. Both the 9x19 and the .45acp fired normally. I had heard the same story that shootall related on the two cops and the WD40. At this point, I'd feel secure in calling BS on that one. Testing done, I'm totally convinced that sealing my ammo is a total waste of time.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »
A drop of clear fingernail polish on the primer and around the bullet should do the trick.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
I would think spraying wd on your gun would cause you to gunk up and have more firing pin problems than anything... certainly just a spray of anything shouldnt affect the ammo. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Savage

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:37 AM »
A drop of clear fingernail polish on the primer and around the bullet should do the trick.
Steve

Yep, they'll be just as good afterwards as before.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:58 PM »
But darnit will they be pretty!!
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
I use a teflon nail sealer that women use to harden and cover their painted nails.  I seal the primer and the bullet.  I've dropped them in streams and never had a misfire.  I seal everything pistol and rifle.  One little bottle, just a couple of bucks will last a long time.  It often dries up before you use it up.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 03:33:23 AM »
I use a teflon nail sealer that women use to harden and cover their painted nails.  I seal the primer and the bullet.  I've dropped them in streams and never had a misfire.  I seal everything pistol and rifle.  One little bottle, just a couple of bucks will last a long time.  It often dries up before you use it up.

But so have people who don't, sith the same results? Exhaustive test have benn done on this. So, if it makes you feel better, go ahead, no porblem.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »
From what I have read here the extensive testing is soaking in water for a day or so. That might be a useful test but it is not what I would consider a comprehensive test. Consider as noted most any hand load can be droped in water and survive . We don't know if it was full power of if part of the powder load was comprised or not however we know it went bang.
 A better test may be in a moist enviroment where tempeture has wide swings . Look no farther than a gas can that is exposed to the sun. It swells as presure rises if the top is sealed same for most any plastic container when it cooles it sucks in it never seems to go back to orginal size. Ammo that is exposed to the same treatment dosen't show the swelling and contraction but does see the pressure changes. As they heat up it would seem pressure would force air out if the seal was not good. And as it cooled draw in moisture with the air over time effecting the powder.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !