Author Topic: Im torn and need help!  (Read 378 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Im torn and need help!
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
Well I have plenty calibers capable of taking deer from 243 up. I have yet to get a hand in a handgun caliber and am torn. I like the idea of the 357 mag and make it a max. That being said I have 3 little ones and it would be great to let them shoot this rifle first with 38 loads to get them familiar with a rifle. That is after the 22 is comfortable. My only concern is it doesnt have open sights to start them with. I do have the 30-30 and could probobly load it way down. How difficult is it to drill and tap it for opens or what should I be looking at for a smith to do it?

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: Im torn and need help!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »
You could install a peep sight in the existing scope base holes and then you would only need one hole D&T for a front sight.
Just a thought.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
Evening DH!

This one is easy!!

I agree, the maxi in a single shot make a near perfect beginners hunting gun!! 38's and mags for learning and small game to varmints. heavier mags and maxis for up to med big game at closer to med ranges.

Any machinist worth his salt can tap one hole for you for the front site. Any gunsmith should do it for about 20$  per hole OR simply glue one on with a good epoxy or metalized glue. The site is avalible from Williams at many retailers. Then do like Slufoot recomends and put a peep site on for the rear. (It uses the scope holes)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
If I understand your post you are looking at acquiring a 357 Handi.  You can buy them with sights as stock rifles.