Author Topic: Egyption Helwan 9 MM pistol.  (Read 1315 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Egyption Helwan 9 MM pistol.
« on: January 20, 2004, 01:14:45 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Egyption made Helwan 9 MM pistol?  One of the gun magazines had done an article years ago on budget priced pistols and they felt that this was a gun that should be ok for keeping in a night stand for home defence.  I wonder if it will hold up as well as a Taurus Model 92 (Brazilian made Beretta copy) if you take it out and put 200-300 rounds a year through it at the range?

Thanks.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Helwan 9mm
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 03:51:20 AM »
Hi Chris:  these are fairly rugged and reliable field pistols.  They are designed after the Beretta 9mm - the older one with the single stack magazine that was in use long before the double action double stack 92s came out.  They are another one of those 9mms not too many folk know about but if priced right theya re a good value for the $.  As I recall, it is a single action single stack 9mm.  It looks like an older Beretta (whatever the Model # was), and they are designed for military use.  

It should be better than just a nightstand gun but as with many folks, I too keep the inexpensive one in the nightstand just in case I ever have to use it the Police won't walk away with one of my better ones.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline michbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Egyption Helwan 9 MM pistol.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 01:37:31 PM »
Sounds about right to me.  The Helwan is the Egyptian version of the Beretta M951---that's short for 1951.  I guess that they still use them, as do the Israelis.  If they've survived service in the desert that long.....

Michbob