Author Topic: Long range scope recommendation for a .308  (Read 923 times)

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Long range scope recommendation for a .308
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
What scope would you recommend for out to 800 yards with a .308 shooting 168 gr match grade bullets?

I use mainly Zeis, Leupold and Mueller scopes.

thanks

Doug

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Long range scope recommendation for a .308
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:40 AM »
Doug,

As a serious LR varmint hunter aiming small to hit small was the priority.   I always got great service out of the Leupold Long Range 30mm Target scopes I've had, and they were good to go on small diggers as far as I could see them (more than 800 yards).   So if it was me (and since I don't like mil-dot scopes) I'd probably try the newest VX-3 models of those - 6.5-20X50mm or 8.5-25X50mm, or the same Mark 4 models with the tactical reticle.    If for serious target work... when they first came out I was hot to trot for trying out their 35, 40 & 45X Competition models, but heard a lot about them being unreliable.   No idea now, but assume Leupold got them straightened out or they would have been dropped after all these years.   Might be the cats meow for serious target work.

Also got good service out of several Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16.5X44 Target and Weaver 4-16X42 V-16 Target scopes.   Any of them were good to go for diggers as well, although not quite as far as the Leupold LR's were.

FWIW

Larry
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Long range scope recommendation for a .308
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »
The absolute best in my book is the Night Force NXS scopes.  I know many Army and Marine snipers, and they steered me to the Night Force.  It's what they use over in the big sandbox.  I use a 3.5X15X50 NXF with the NPR-1 reticle on my 338-378 Weatherby.  I've killed Moose at 810 yards, one shot kill.  I've taken Grizzly at 620 yards.  I am now consistently hitting a gallon milk jug full of water out to 1200 yards. 

There is two problems with the Night Force scopes.  They are heavy, full 2 lbs, then they are spendy, $1700.00.   

The second scope I would look at, it's much lighter, would be the Leupold Mark 4.  Still spendy, but a lot lighter.

The third would be the Nikon Monarch, in either the 3X12X42, or the 4X16X50.

To me what ever scope you decide on, look hard at turret mounted focus.  Having the focus mounted on the left side of the scope means you don't have to reach out in front of the scope to set the parallax, it can be done while looking through the scope.  I no longer buy scopes that do not have that feature.

Now I will admit to putting a Cabela's 3X12X40 Big Game Tactical Scope on my H&R 30-06 Ultra Comp.    The only draw back is that the turret is only calibrated to 500 yards for the 165gr bullet.  I had to develop a load to match the ballistics the scope was set for.  Once I got that done I am very satisfied with the results.  I no longer want to shoot wolves beyond 500 yards, bullet performance just is not there for an animal that big.  I specialize in Wolves with that gun.  But since you are looking for 800 yards, that is not the scope for you.  I also have the Cabela's Centerfire Tactical scope in 3X12X40 on a H&R Ultra .223.  I already had a load worked up that matched the calibration on the scope, using the 55gr bullet.  Can't remember if the scope is calibrated for 400 or 500 yards, I'm thinking it's 500.  (The gun is currently in a vault in the garage blocked by the wife's SUV.  Since it's 54 Below outside I'm not going to open the garage door to move the car to reach the vault.)  I have used this gun/scope combination for three years, and really like it.

Good luck in your search.  Rog 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.