Author Topic: Need help with choice between P32 and PF9  (Read 3389 times)

Offline gatersb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Need help with choice between P32 and PF9
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »
I need help trying to decide which to get for CCW.  I have a Taurus 445ul and its a little big (or so it seems)  I like the P32 for the size but the 9mm PF9 is more powerful.  So my question is the PF9 that uncomfortable to shoot like all the reviews state?  I'm not a big guy so that is why the P32 looks appealing 5'4 and 175lbs.  Any info is welcome and I understand everyone has favorites just really wondering if the PF9 is that much of a handful.  By the way I have shot a rossi snub with 357 158grains so I understand what snappy recoil can feel like.

Thanks again
Bradley

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Need help with choice between P32 and PF9
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:50:40 AM »
Why the P32 rather than the exact same size P3-AT .380 if you are trying to choose between the two sizes of Kel-Tecs. The .380 pushes an 88 to 102 grain bullet to same velocity as the .32 pushes a 60 grain.

Admittedly if you were going to do a lot of shooting with them the little P32 is the mildest and more fun to shoot. But with the loads I've shot in all three I certainly would not classify any of them as uncomfortable to shoot. Of the three I do get best groups with the P32 but not by all that much.

My PF9 now wears a CTC laser and when I can afford it so will my P3-AT. With the laser you don't have to worry about position or even consider the sights just put the laser where you want to hit and pull the trigger. It works equally well from either hand, whether standing or flat on your back and from the hip even.

Here is a photo of all three of my Kel-Tecs. It was taken before I added the CTC laser to the PF-9 and I've not taken a photo of it since adding the laser guard in front of the trigger guard.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gatersb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 05:03:52 AM »
Thank you sir for the info.  I guess the P3AT would be the best compromise due to the fact it has the size of the P32 and closer to the punch of the PF9. 

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
The PF-9 is not that uncomfortable to shoot. It's no gun to shoot multiple times for fun but it's not designed to be. I've heard just as many say the P3AT is more uncomfortable to shoot. I carry both a PF-9 and a P-32 but if I could only carry one it would be the PF-9. Why carry something close to the punch of a 9mm when it's just as easy to carry the 9mm? If you have to defend yourself which would you rather have? Remember, that's why you are carrying in the first place, to defend yourself. If nothing else, shoot one yourself and then decide. I'll bet you find it's not as bad as some claim as I know many women who are comfortable shooting the PF-9.  All Kel Tecs are small and light so naturaly will have some recoil. They are designed for Conceal Carry and hard to beat for that use. Most who complain of recoil didn't like Kel Tec to begin with and it's mere nit picking. Even if shooting multiple times in a row a lot has to do with the grips and a simple rubber grip sleeve can make them more comfortable.

My P-32 laying on top of my PF-9 for size comparison

Offline gatersb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
thanks for the pic that really show the difference in size. 

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:44:02 PM »
thanks for the pic that really show the difference in size.

You're quite welcome. :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
I've got a photo like that I've posted in the past but dunno what I did with it. It really is amazing to hold both in hand and see just how little the difference in size is between the PF-9 and the two smaller guns. They ain't that much smaller.

Still I see the P-32 and P3-AT as pocket guns and often carry one in my pants pocket but the PF9 just isn't a proper fit in the pockets of the pants I wear most often.

As I said recoil at least to me just isn't an issue. They aren't something I do a lot of plinking with but in working with each to be sure they were gonna be 100% reliable I went thru a bunch of magazines of ammo with each and didn't see the recoil as an issue.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:12:50 AM »
I agree the PF-9 is a bit big for pants pockets. I sometimes carry mine in an inside jacket pocket using a pocket holster but I usualy carry on my belt. It's quite easy to conceal with any shirt pulled over it.

Offline gatersb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
cool thanks for the pics a coworker just asked why i dont get a sig239 i guess he forgets we all dont make six figures like he does sheeesh  ;)   I cant remember the last time I had a shirt tucked in so that leaves alot of carry options open.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
cool thanks for the pics a coworker just asked why i dont get a sig239 i guess he forgets we all dont make six figures like he does sheeesh  ;)   I cant remember the last time I had a shirt tucked in so that leaves alot of carry options open.

You're quite welcome. One more reason I love Kel Tecs. They're awesome firearms at an affordable price. :)

Offline Anduril

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:08 AM »
being the owner of both, my impression is that shooting a PF-9 is about like shooting an Airweight snubbie with standard 38 Special loads.

Offline gatersb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
that doesnt sound unbearable the way some reviews list the gun it seemed to kick like a mule.  Like all of you have said after the break in period and the testing for reliablity its a carry alot and shoot a little gun in the first place my ruger 22/45 is my plinker.  Thanks for all your help all i need now is a day off to go look at some hardware :) 

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:56 AM »
I went with the PF-9 mostly because of positive comments from GB an Spirithawk.

The recoil is much like a lite weight J-frame and perhaps softer than one with the Crimson Trace grips.  I could only shoot about 3 rounds in my 638 with +ps before I quit.  With normal Critical Defence it's stout but bearable.  The Kel-Tec hurts the web of my thumb a bit but put some rubber insulation tape on it.

My biggest problem with the PF-9 with it's CT grips is trying to find a holster for it.  I have been using a one size fits all belt slide and it works fine.  I really do forget at times I have it on.

I strongly recommend the PF-9.  I don't think you'll regret it.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
HELLOOOO! anyone from Tennessee?

Gater wants to try out a PF-9, he may even spring for a box of ammo  ;)

Offline gatersb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
Went to a gun shop today and they were sold out of PF9 :-[  But he said to call back later this week.  He let me hold a P3AT and a P32 as well as a Diamondback DB9, Kahr PM9.  I'm not sure I can shoot the P32 and P3AT due to the ring finger of my shooting hand is barely touching the grip.  The P11 he let me try was a better fit even though it is double stack at least I could get the ring finger on the grip as well.  I know they have mag and finger extensions for both models now I'm more confused than I was before I went to the gun shop  ???

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »
I have average sized hands leaning towards big and shoot them all quite easily and accurately. Self defense range is on average 7 to 10 feet. How accurate do you need to be?  As already said; Kel Tecs are good reliable and easy to conceal firearms. However, we all have differant needs and desires. My best advice to you is simple. Find what you like and can afford....then buy it. :)

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »

Hey gatersb:

Whichever you pick make sure it fits your hand or your accuracy will suffer. I'd rather have a weapon that may be somewhat underpowered, by comparasion, and shoot it well as opposed to a powerhouse that I could not shoot accurately. Your life may depend on it. just my opinion.
  HM

Offline tnekkc

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
I have the P32, P3AT, LCP, PF9, and others.

I have never carried the P32 again, once I got the P3At.

The P32, P3AT, and LCP fit in my shirt pocket.
The PF9 fits in my jacket pocket.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
got a p11 sold pf9 both are good gun would like another pf9 if could shot it first before buying.p11 absolutely no problems.pf9 i think has a better trigger. ;D

Offline gatersb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
Cool thanks after reading the reports on Golden Loki I think i will hold out for the PF9.  The local gun shop is going to get one as soon as they can said to check back next week.  Oh well gives me time to talk myself out of it again  ;D

Offline tedtip2

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
Ive had the P-32 and found it hard to shoot with my larger hand size, even with the extened mag.  Just got the PF-9 and like it alot more.  Easier to hold and shoot.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »
PF9 new in box from local dealer for $239.00 what am I missing here??  Cheap gun that competes with Sig??  I admit my Bersa Series 95 is as close to a PPK clone as you could find (at least in '99) for under $200.  But with todays prices I have to ask.  What makes it so good, why is it so affordable??

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
PF9 new in box from local dealer for $239.00 what am I missing here??  Cheap gun that competes with Sig??  I admit my Bersa Series 95 is as close to a PPK clone as you could find (at least in '99) for under $200.  But with todays prices I have to ask.  What makes it so good, why is it so affordable??

Around here a new PF-9 averages $300. What makes it so good is several things. First off it's an original design and not just a copy like so many other firearms. What makes that design good is that it does what it was designed for very very well and that is as a very concealable and reliable firearm that performs quite well with about any thing you feed it. Add to that that it's surprisingly accurate and all at a reasonable price and what's not to like. Also Kel Tec has the best service department out there bar none. No, it's not a range gun. Yes there are much prettier guns. I don't carry to be flashy nor to shoot off mag after mag at the range. I carry for self defense and when more expensive, heavier, larger guns are left at home or in your vehicle my PF-9 is always where it needs to be...right on my belt within easy reach.  Those things are what makes it good? No, those things make it excellent! :) As to the reason for the reasonable price? I don't realy know but I do know I'm glad they are affordable. It just could be that Kel Tec is smart enough to know that if they price their guns at prices folks can afford they stand to sell way more of them. :)   For those not comfortable with the grip I HIGHLY recomend a Hogue Handal Jr Grip sleeve. It's a match made in Heaven.

Offline keith44

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
Ok let's try this another way (thanks for the glowing testamonial)

In manufacturing a gun there are three main points of costs. 1) materials, 2) machining, and 3) hand or assembly labor  (shipping and taxes not considered here)

So it's a plastic gun, and little would need to be hand fitted, but other polymer guns cost twice that much.  The sample I handled had a considerable amount of looseness in the barrel, both fore and aft, as well as side to side when the slide is moved just enough to take tension off the barrel, and most of that looseness remained with the tension of the slide pressing the barrel into battery.  Were this a toggle link style semi-auto like the 1911s I'd be concerned about how many rounds this gun could fire, but being cam lock style (or so it appeared) I am less concerned about that, and curious how something built with this much tolerance can be accurate and dependable (design and manufacture details)
Life member NRA

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »
Ok let's try this another way (thanks for the glowing testamonial)

In manufacturing a gun there are three main points of costs. 1) materials, 2) machining, and 3) hand or assembly labor  (shipping and taxes not considered here)

So it's a plastic gun, and little would need to be hand fitted, but other polymer guns cost twice that much.  The sample I handled had a considerable amount of looseness in the barrel, both fore and aft, as well as side to side when the slide is moved just enough to take tension off the barrel, and most of that looseness remained with the tension of the slide pressing the barrel into battery.  Were this a toggle link style semi-auto like the 1911s I'd be concerned about how many rounds this gun could fire, but being cam lock style (or so it appeared) I am less concerned about that, and curious how something built with this much tolerance can be accurate and dependable (design and manufacture details)

I'm not a gunsmith but I've carried my PF-9 for 4 years and fired countless rounds through it. It's never once let me down. My son and grandson carry PF-9's, as do many friends. When I say reliable and accurate I'm talking from both mine and their experience not from theory nor design details. Remember, it's designed for self defense not target shooting but I know guys that would shock you with shots at 30 to 40 yards fired through their PF-9's. That's far outside normal self defense ranges. i guess when I find something good I don't over think it. I'm just happy to have something I feel comfortable putting my trust in. :)  Don't know how it works so well, just glad it does. ;)

Offline keith44

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
my criteria for accurate defense handguns is 8" groups with most ammo at 40 yards with issue sights (yes even my Bersa does it) I am a hobby level gunsmith, getting ready to turn semi-professional, and because I am a trusted source I prefer facts on the mechanics, as well as the experiences of other shooters.  So when someone asks my why I carry a certain gun, or hunt with a certain gun, or compete with a certain gun I can not only show why, but explain why as well.

just a different way of seeing the same thing I guess
Life member NRA

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »
I bought and carry a PF-9 largely because of posts by Spirit Hawk and others.  I have never met Spirit Hawk but from reading his posts over the years I have come to the conclusion he tells it as it is.  If he doesn't like something he'll say so.

Now with that said I carry the Kel-Tec nearly every minute that I'm not in bed.  It goes from my night stand into my holster as soon as I'm dressed ( I have it one as I type).  It is so light that you have to remember you have it on.  I bought it used off Gunbroker because a guy needed to sell it.  I am a pretty good target shooter and although it won't shoot the groups my Goldcup will I am certain it will meet your standard of 8" at 40 yards.  2 of my good friends and I were shooting my gun at a gong at 100 yards and although we didn't hit it every time we did often enough to impress those fellas ;) . I can put 7 shots into a playing card at 25 yards.  I will admit that a couple of magazines is all my arthritic hands will take.

I have a wide choice of guns I could carry including 2 J frames, 1911s and a AMT 45 Backup, which may be one of the few of that model that goes bang every time.  They are all heavier than the PF-9.  I have never had an issue with it as far as reliability.  As to why they cost so little I can't say, you'd have to ask them.  Also they are made right here in the USA 8)

You may PM me anytime if you have further questions.

I want to thank Spirit Hawk and the others that put me on this fine pistol :-*

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline JJ Kelly

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
I live about 1 hour away from Kel-tec, the other day I was there
and got a tour from Derek Kellgren. First, they are all super nice
people and really care about the customer. Next the "CNC" machines
are making parts from forged steel, NOT "mim parts" or stampings,
Keltec makes a good gun that they should cost more. All the employees
were so nice and wanted to shake your hand.  They were proud
American workers and YES they have the BEST customer service.

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 02:08:24 AM »
Another recommendation for the PF9. Not as small as the little 380s, but small enough to disappear with an IWB tuckable holster under a t-shirt. IMO, the PF-9 combined with the crossbreed minituck at 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty) is a very hard to beat concealed combo. I also have a little 380, but usually carry the PF-9 now that I have that particular holster. The 380 only gets used now in a wallet holster in the side pocket of some cargo shorts in the summer.

Offline Savage

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 03:49:43 AM »
I've been a fan of Kel Tec for a lot of years. I bought two of the P-11s, two of the P 32s, two P3 ATs, and one PF9, all when they first came on the market. First generation guns, of course. Sold one of the P32s to a deputy friend of mine, still have the others. Carried a P32, then later a P3AT for duty backup. No problem qualifying with either one. The first P3AT had a problem with the assembly pin walking out. It destroyed the frame on the gun. CS replaced the damaged parts, restamped it with the original serial number, and hard chromed the slide for my trouble. The PF9 is my favorite concealed carry holster gun these days, although I frequently carry a P3AT with a belt clip. I don't find recoil to be bothersome with either. I have a couple dozen other handguns that cost a lot more, but these guns are great for carry.  Not a gun that inspires pride of ownership, but they just work! Several other gun makers are copying the design. High flattery for sure.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,