Author Topic: Trying to ID an old bronze model cannon barrel  (Read 599 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Trying to ID an old bronze model cannon barrel
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:40:27 AM »
I found this precisely-made bronze tube firmly attached to a huge block of wood as if someone was going to use it as a salute gun.  It was in an antique shop in Frederick, MD, west of Baltimore.  The cannon was painted with silver radiator paint. The block of wood had many thick layers of old, flaking paint, mostly green, on it.  Having seen hundreds of models and salute guns, I judged that this was made as a model since it was so precisely cast and machined.   However I don't know what full-sized cannon it is a model of.  Perhaps it was a founder or designer's model, it has that kind of look to it.  Some of the silver paint is still in the crevices of the barrel.  The bore is bored full-length and intersects the vent, so it could be fired.  It was apparently dropped at one time which flattened the breeching loop on top.

Barrel length 14 in. overall
Bore 0.875 in.
Trunnion dia.  0.740 in.
Basering dia. 2.42 in.
Muzzle dia. 2.14 in.
Model barrel weight 10 lbs.

Since model cannons made by designers and founders tended to be scaled using an even fraction (1/6, 1/8...), then scaling up from the bore diameter, assuming a 1/8 scale model just for now, would make it about a 42-pounder (0.875 in. /0.125 scale=7 inches.)

Do you know of a full-sized cannon which looks just like this model, either in iron or bronze?

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
Re: Trying to ID an old bronze model cannon barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
I ghave no idea what it is however it looks nice and a good find

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Trying to ID an old bronze model cannon barrel
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
If it was made up as a signal or salute gun it may not be a copy of any particular piece.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA