Author Topic: Whitetail bullet question  (Read 742 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Whitetail bullet question
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:57:21 AM »
Took a bullet inventory this morning and found that my 30 cal bullets are down to three types of 150 grain offerings.  Rate these three in order for whitetail from a 308 rifle.     
Accubond
Failsafe
Partition Gold
I've rarely used any of these bullets as I prefer cup and core bullets.  Which would be best for whitetail and which would be the least desirable?

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Whitetail bullet question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »
 :)  As you said, whitetails don't need a premium bullet, but of the three I guess Accubond would be my first choice..Never used fail safe..the partition will certainly kill a lowly whitetail, but it is not designed for this type of  game nor needed...Over the years I have shot some whitetails with partitions, they did a fair job, but in almost all cases the deer ran a ways..one of the biggest whitetails I ever took, maybe the biggest, was with an accubond...it dropped right on the spot, but I was elk hunting and shot him with a 225 grain from a .340....... :-[

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »
I agree, with wyo..

NONE are needed for Mr. Whitetail.  Of them, the Accubond first, Partition second and Failsafe last.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
The Accubond will probably be the most accurate of them all. Put any of them where they are supposed to go in the vitals and they will do the job. Accubond, Partition, Fail safe in that order.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
I perceived them in that order also.  Probably will just load the Accubond and hold on to the others for a rainy day.  Already got a lifetime of loaded ammunition.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
What ever you have the most of.  Shoot some to work up a load that is accurate and then use them till you are out and then the next batch..... and on to the third.
How far are you shooting?  On average?  Are you in and out of a truck with a loaded mag?  The Accubond tips may be best as they take the mag pounding best.

Offline shot1

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »
I really have not seen a 308 Win that would not drive tacks with between 43 and 44 grs IMR 4895 with most any 150 gr bullet. That might save you some time and money. ;D Hodgdon manual list 42.6 grs as a start load and 47.3C as a max load of IMR 4895 with 150 gr bullet. 

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:05:45 AM »
I don't see the need to rank these projectiles. They will all take whitetails effectively. Choose the one that you like and use it to go get your deer.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »
I bought the Failsafe and Partition Gold after purchasing a 300WSM that I was using in MT on a combo hunt.  In NC where I live, a bullet like the CoreLokt seems to give me excellent results.  Sierra GameKings and Hornady Spire Points do good also.  Flat bass bullets don't seem to have any disadvantage to boatail designs.  I shoot to about 400 yards but most opportunities are in the 100-200 range. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 01:51:02 AM »
I guess personaly id go with the partition. Ive never seen it a mistake for any game animal and personaly ive had just as much bad luck with bonded bullets and accuracy as ive ever had with partitions.  But to be honest i prefer cup and core bullets for deer hunting and would probalby hop in my truck and go buy a box of sierras or nos bts.
blue lives matter

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »
I don't have any experience with the Failsafe bullets but if they perform anything like the Barnes TSX bullets, you have three of the best bullets for whitetail or any other big game you might hunt. You might be a little overdressed for the "whitetail ball" but so what.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:36 AM »
I guess personaly id go with the partition. Ive never seen it a mistake for any game animal and personaly ive had just as much bad luck with bonded bullets and accuracy as ive ever had with partitions.  But to be honest i prefer cup and core bullets for deer hunting and would probalby hop in my truck and go buy a box of sierras or nos bts.

I agree with you here Lloyd. But I'd you have the need, give the Accubonds a try. I did and have found them to be marvelously accurate in my 25, 30 and 35 cal bolt guns. I wanna try them
In my 6.5 next this gun is wonderfully accurate shooting .5 MOA with 120 BT Noslers and 4350 powder. I have taken a few head of game with them in 25 and 30 cals the 225g 35 is as yet unproven but came well recommended. It's a "Elk" bullet for me.

Cup n Core will work for the vast majority of situations. If your using the "better" bullets makes you feel better have at it. Personally I have two "better" bullets the Partition and the Grand Slam. You could ass the "A" frame too as its basically a Partition with a bit more
Lead in its ass...
These bonded bullets where welcomed back in the day of the Noslers Solid Base line. Nearly every head of game I shot I recovered a piece of the jacket or core. A big enough piece to prove to me they seperated. I started using the Grand Slams and had zero problems and near zero bullets recovered.
In my mind a recovered hunting bullet is not desirable and in most cases reason to go bigger caliber or switch bullets!
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.