Author Topic: Colt AR-15 Model 6600??????????  (Read 1030 times)

Offline hogrdr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Colt AR-15 Model 6600??????????
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »
Need a little help as I'm thinking about getting me an AR but know nothing and the more I read the more confused I get!

I have a chance to pick up a Colt AR-15 Model 6600 HBAR pre ban 20" heavy barrel with green label box Questions I have.
1. The guy says its 5.56 Nato and shoots 223 what is difference? Don't laugh just confused
2. Is this gun good for 100 yard shots at coyote? Everything I read states this model was built for longer range accuracy.
3. Would I be better off getting something newer or are these guns reliable?

Thanks Hog

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Colt AR-15 Model 6600??????????
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
The Colt made AR-15 is a well made rifle that should deliver all the accuracy you need for coyote under the conditions you describe.  The 6600 version though, was I believe only offered with a fixed carry handle.  That will limit your optics mounting options compared to a rifle with a flat top and a picatinny rail.  Personally, I would look at the newer detachable handle, flat top models from quality makers like Bushmaster, Rock River, LMT, or S&W.  A shorter, lighter weight barrel would make for a better carrying and handling weapon without any significant loss of accuracy or velocity.

The .223 and the 5.56 NATO are basically the same case, exterior dimension wise.  NATO chambers tend to spec with a little more leade then .223 chambers.  The NATO round is loaded to slightly higher pressure then commercial .223 ammo.  Military NATO cases tend to be a little thicker and have harder primers then .223 ammo.  Conventional wisdom is .223 ammo can be used in a 5.56 chambered rifle, but that using 5.56 in a .223 chamber could cause excessive pressure.  Personally, I know a lot of shooters who interchange ammo without issue, as most any modern bolt action rifle can handle the slight pressure difference.  I probably would be leery using heavy bullet 5.56 ammo in a rifle with a tight target spec .223 chamber, especially if the bullet was jammed against the rifling.  Check the specs. of the rifle you are interested in to be sure, but most AR's are chambered these days to accept either round.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Colt AR-15 Model 6600??????????
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
Bigeasy is right.  5.56 Nato spec is for a chamber with a deeper throat than .223.  Prevents some problems from fouling under heavy usage.  5.56 ammo is the same phyiscal size as .223, but it tends to be loaded hotter.  .223 is OK to use in a 5.56, but 5.56 in a .223 is at your own risk.  Sometimes it works OK, but symptoms can include the occasional stuck case, or misfire from the primer being too hard for the firing pin to dent.  Some .223 rifles handle the 5.56 ammo, but others are more finicky.  If the Colt is chambered in 5.56, it should shoot anything you put in it.  I'm not an expert on AR's, but I dont think you can go wrong with a Colt.  Unless its someone's used competition gun, it's pretty unlikely that it has been worn out.