Author Topic: whitetail calls  (Read 502 times)

Offline lurcher

• Trade Count: (0)
whitetail calls
« on: January 20, 2004, 05:32:01 PM »
We have two populations of whitetail deer in the South Island of New Zealand. One reasonable population in Stewart island and one marginal population near Queenstown (a major resort town).

In the future I intend to do some hunting on Stewart island. As far as I'm aware few hunters here use deer calls when hunting whitetail. However roaring horns are used widely and very effectively for hunting red deer during the rut.

I wanted to ask... How important do you feel calls are when it comes to hunting whitetail.

Do you only use them during the rut or can they be used at other times?

cheers
Lurcher
New Zealand

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
whitetail calls
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 09:05:34 AM »
:D I think calls can be very effective (sometimes).I've called in many bucks with grunt calls and had deer respond to bleats. Rattling horns can also be good. My buddy has shot deer bowhunting out of a group and then called the others back. He's done this several times. Sometimes deer do not respond at all. Sometimes they do. They are fairly easy to use and inexpensive so take one (or several) with you.

Offline qweeksdraw

whitetail calls
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 11:29:45 AM »
freddogs pretty much sumed it up, I think of a call as if its a fishing bait, sometimes the bait works sometimes it don't.  The first time I tried the Lohman call the buck was 80 tds, going away, when I bleated his head snaped up and looked in my direction,  2mins later I shot him a 7 yds.  I was impressed.  It was if I pulled him in on a rope.  I have eight notches on that call, I notch the call only when I see the buck respond to the call and take the buck.  I have had it not work many more times though.  I always make a few calls just before dark, I have had them come running into the call.  Its amazing how they can pinpoint you.   I like them to be about 80 ysd. off.  

A call is just another trick for your bag.  Hope this helps some.

best qweeksdraw

Offline grrdt

whitetail calls
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 07:54:45 AM »
supposedly , if you see a deer headedin the wrong direction you can do a short whistle and the deer will turn around and head straight for you . never tried it myself.