Author Topic: Trying to decide on a shorty  (Read 1728 times)

Offline NYRebel13

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Trying to decide on a shorty
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
Well....cabin fever has got me thinking again (that's dangerous).  Thinking of making a short shutgun to keep on the 4-wheeler when I am working in the woods.  I had one a couple years ago that I ended up selling on here (Topper 88 12 ga w/18 3/4 inch barrel).  I guess I should have kept it since it cost me next to nothing.

At first I was thinking of cutting a 12 gauge between 18 and 20 inches and getting it threaded for choke tubes.  Also thinking of putting the handi-grip stocks on it if I could find one just for easy handling.  Then I got thinking of doing the same thing to a 20 gauge instead and while it was getting fitted for choke tubes have it threaded for scope base and maybe adding a red dot for slugs or a peep sight. 

Which gauge would be more versatile....mostly going to bee a easy-to-carry woods gun/truck gun.  Also what barrel length do you think.  I already have 12 gauge choke tubes for my mossberg so I wouldn't have to buy any for it.  I think I am overthinking this (I tend to do that).  Thanks for any opinions in advance....also pictures of your shorties would be good too.
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Trying to decide on a shorty
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
 I have a 12 and 20 shorty. I like the 20 little better. You may have a time finding someone to drill and tap the 12. I have 2 of the handi grip stock sets. But none on the shotguns. I do like the way they feel and hold.

Good luck

Lonny

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:04:54 AM »
Go for the shorty! 4D reamer has the 12 & 20 choke reamers for Tru choke and Win  chokes in both gauges for rent. They also have the long forcing cone reamers available.As far as the scope/sight holes go the 20 ga is a much better choice for at home gunsmith. Good luck with your project.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:10:39 AM »
YES YES go for the shorty!!!  Shotguns make wonderful shorties!!!

I have a few too and love them!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:24:17 AM »
Working on sorta the same project but mine may be easier.  I'm looking for a 22 inch 20 Ga gun or just the barrel but the more I think about it the more I would want choke tubes.  I.C. for the rabbits, mod for early season squirrels and full for late season (no leaves).  However, I don't need the drill and tap since I want the fast bead shot sight.  Slugs will just have to be ranged in with the bead but if I could get 6 inches at 50 yds that would do since it would be primarily for shot and the slug would only be "deer if by chance" while small game hunting.  My stocks would be my existing pallet wood already cut to straight, English style and thinned down some.  My only thing missing is a good 20 ga barrel and possibly finding a screw in choke set-up.  Good luck with yours.

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:33:41 AM »
I think the main deciding factor in this gun is what I can find used at a good price.  Don't really want to cut up a new gun.  If it comes down to that I could chop my 20 I have in the cabinet right now.  I can always use my 16 double barrel for bird hunting and sacrifice the 20 to cure my cabin fever.  I am thinking I am going to use my 20 and 16 mostly for my small game hunting and keep my 12 for turkey or waterfowl hunting.  But back on subject...I was only going to drill and tap for scope rail if I got a 20....the 12 I was going to leave just the bead.
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
The bottom gun in my pic is a Savage 311 16Ga... It's a dandy grouse/slug gun!

The other four are all 12Ga's. Springfield, OLD H&R take down, Savage 220, and Topper.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
The bottom gun in my pic is a Savage 311 16Ga... It's a dandy grouse/slug gun!

The other four are all 12Ga's. Springfield, OLD H&R take down, Savage 220, and Topper.

CW

My 16 gauge is a Springfield 5100, same thing as a 311, but that won't get chopped.  That was my grandfathers.  I've got plans to replace the plastic stock with walnut and reblue the barrels.  Dad gave it to me with the conditions that if I don't want it anymore I have to give it back to h im or to my brother.  I don't see that happening though.

The more I think about it I might just end up chopping the Pardner 20 gauge I have in the cabinet instead of buying a new one.  Still thinking...guns shows are coming up in a month so I still have time to change my mind.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
Here's another option, a tamer 20. Of course that doesn't do much for cabin fever and it is fun taking tools to make something that is truly unique.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »
Here's another option, a tamer 20. Of course that doesn't do much for cabin fever and it is fun taking tools to make something that is truly unique.

I thought of that but the LOP on them is too short for me.  Plus I think they are priced a little more than the regular pardners.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »
I had a 20ga chopped to 21".  Gun smith D&T for WGRS and shorty front ramp.  Front hole goes all the way thru though.  I guess that's OK.  So a pro will do a 20.  Can't tell you how it does slugs now because I put on a higher front and haven't tried it out again yet.  Shot way high before.  NO, I can't remember how high they are, sorry.

I also have a 16 double I cut down years ago.  Nice swing, but haven't hunted with it in years.

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
I had a 20ga chopped to 21".  Gun smith drill & tap for WGRS and shorty front ramp.  Front hole goes all the way thru though.  I guess that's OK.  So a pro will do a 20.  Can't tell you how it does slugs now because I put on a higher front and haven't tried it out again yet.  Shot way high before.  NO, I can't remember how high they are, sorry.

I also have a 16 double I cut down years ago.  Nice swing, but haven't hunted with it in years.

I shot my modified choke 20ga Pardner with slugs at the range.  Put the bead right on the bullseye at 50 yards just to see where it would hit....it was a foot high.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 02:29:51 AM »
I shot my modified choke 20ga Pardner with slugs at the range.  Put the bead right on the bullseye at 50 yards just to see where it would hit....it was a foot high.

Always thought that would be the case.  The smaller the gauge the smaller the muzzle with the bead.  However the rear frame and chamber (the part that you align the bead with) remain 12 gauge size.  One would need a taller bead or one of them bridge thingies to put the bead on in smaller gauges.  The one 20 I had shot fine for squirrels though but it could have just been the pattern was large enough to compensate.  Just have to use "Kentucky elevation" instead of Kentucky windage here.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
I made a 12ga shorty a couple of years ago and it can out good.  I had to add a taller front sight because it shot way high after shortening the barrel.  Also, the 12 ga kicked so bad it was very hard to control.  Later on I did the same thing to a 20ga for a friend and it was much more pleasant to shoot.
Tony212

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »
I have a 10 ga shorty and just love it! NOTHING stands in the way of it. does a great job on upclose yotes here in the northwoods...
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
I have a 10 ga shorty and just love it! NOTHING stands in the way of it. does a great job on upclose yotes here in the northwoods...

Are you seeing a therapist? ;D   A 10 gage shorty thats just not right.

Lonny

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
How short is your barrel on that 10 gauge? What is maxium effective range on yotes and what load are you using??
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
Think I found what I'm gonna use.  One of my local gun shops has a 20 gauge pardner used.  Had a guy call on an ad for some stuff I had for sale in the paper today so told my dealer I would call him to set up a time to pick it up the beginning of next week.  Gonna compare it to the 20 I have in the cabinet already.  Whichever one is in worse shape will get chopped and the other one will be my bird gun.

Offline TxGun

• Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »
Sounds like a plan!

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »
Well...I got my donor shotgun today.  1992 color case hardened frame with schnabel forend with some nice striping on the stock.  Now I have another dilema.  I tried the barrel on my 30-30 frame and it locks up tight.  Trying to decide if I just keep the barrel from the new (to me) shotgun and get rid of the rest.  That way I'm not taking up precious space in my gun cabinet for another gun.  Then I can cut my other 20 gauge and I'll also have a 30-30/20 gauge combo.  Gonna go shoot it tomorrow and try it on the 30-30 frame too.  Any precautions I should take trying the barrel on the other frame for the first time?  I'll try to get a pic up of the whole family tomorrow.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »
As a rule I have all dedicated fraome for all barrels... BUT I do keep a couple shotgun barrels on hand that fit CF rifle calibers. They are great to bring along incase a shotgun is needed.

My reasoning was I hated the zero shift I found swapping barrels.. NOT such a problem with a skatergun!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »
Just got back from the range.  Everything functioned good with both frames.  The 20 gauge barrel actually goes on and off the 30-30 frame better than the frame it came with.  I might just combo them together to save room in the gun cabinet (only 2 more spots left).  Here is a pic of the family as it is now.  Top is my .50 cal Sidekick, next is the 30-30, then the new-to-me 20 gauge, and the other 20 gauge (possibly soon to be shorty or smoth bore slug gun).

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »
Maybe don't cut the barrel and take a look at one of these
I hope to add one to the single shot collection soon
Saw one at a gun store, it looked good and should make for a nice short shotgun

Topper Junior Classic 20gauge
22inch modified choked barrel, total length 36inch, walnut checkered stock

scroll to the bottom