Author Topic: The Maryland Oyster Police Force's Dahlgren Boat Howitzer  (Read 828 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
The Maryland Oyster Police Force's Dahlgren Boat Howitzer
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:36:38 AM »
Here’s an interesting account of a Dahlgren boat howitzer, which was cast at the Tredegar Foundry in 1868.

http://bayweekly.com/articles/culture-history/article/long-strange-trip

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/mdconservationhistory/pdfs/CannonFound.pdf

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

Re: The Maryland Oyster Police Force's Dahlgren Boat Howitzer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:04:10 AM »
The second article indicates that the barrel was cast in 1863 and acquired in 1868.  I am not sure when the Tredegar Foundry was rebuilt after the war, but 1868 sounds a little too early.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the interesting article, always nice to have a little history on these pieces. Gonna start checking snowdrifts too.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:19 AM »
Interesting articles, thanks for posting them! :)
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »
The second article indicates that the barrel was cast in 1863 and acquired in 1868.  I am not sure when the Tredegar Foundry was rebuilt after the war, but 1868 sounds a little too early.

A biographical note on Tredegar
http://vip.lib.virginia.edu:8080/cocoon/vivaead/published/lva/vi00494.bioghist

By the beginning of the Civil War, Tredegar was the largest ironworks in the Confederacy, with almost 700 black and white workers. The ironworks was virtually the sole source of heavy guns, projectiles, gun carriages, plates for iron-clad vessels, wheels and axles for railroad rolling stock, furnace machinery, and a variety of other products for Confederate munitions factories and navy yards. Although heavily damaged during the evacuation fire in April 1865, Tredegar made a swift transition back to peacetime production. The company was reorganized in 1867 as a new corporation, the Tredegar Company, whose assets were the Tredegar works, including the Armory rolling mill. Joseph R. Anderson and Company continued to hold interests in the remaining furnace properties.
In 1868 Tredegar received a major contract to supply the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad with rails and bridgework for the entire line. A national sales office in New York City was established, with John Tanner dispatched to run it, and a network of agents were positioned across the country. Foundry, rolling mill, blacksmith, carpenter, and boiler shop facilities were expanded by 1869, and a new puddling mill was erected. The rail rolling facilities were upgraded and new chair mills, spike machines, and horseshoe machines were introduced. The company made some non-railroad products, including engines, boilers, cast-iron pipes, nails, marine plates, bar and angle iron, decorative iron building fronts, and structural bridge iron. By 1873 Tredegar had more than twice its prewar capacity and employment that exceeded its highest antebellum totals. During this period the company supplied iron bridges, rails, and thousands of kegs of spike which were used to rebuild southern railroads. The company survived the panic of 1873 but was forced into receivership in 1876 when several northern railroads with which it had contracts and agreements were forced into bankruptcy.

Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War by James C. Hazlett, Edwin Olmstead, and M. Hume Parks (p. 144).
“There is no evidence that any Dahlgren boat howitzer was made in the Confederacy between 1861 and 1865, but one is known today made by Tredegar Foundry in 1868. Marked with the Great Seal of Maryland for the State Oyster Police Service, it is mounted for use as a field piece by a skirmish group.”
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 04:34:26 AM »
Cannoneer, nice job on the research, very informative.  It would appear that the information about the 1863/1868 dates in the second article may be wrong.  Thanks for posting.

In reading the second article again I believe I may have seen this gun firing at Gainesboro.  If I remember correctly they even tried to improve their accuracy by using a dimpled (golf ball surface) projectile.

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 04:57:22 AM »
Is this the cannon of which you speak.

It rests about 10 miles from my house in the Reisterstown Maryland area.

This gun was regularly fired at the NSSA shoot in Winchester Va I understand.

It has post Civil War and Oyster Police markings on it.

I can't give an exact location because the owners may not want it

blasted over the internet.

Kap

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:25:56 AM »
I enjoyed the articles.  I have always had an interest large weaponry and this is one of my favorite forums.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:11 AM »
Kap do you have any photos showing the markings that you could share with us?  Thanks

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »

Is this the cannon of which you speak.

It rests about 10 miles from my house in the Reisterstown Maryland area.

This gun was regularly fired at the NSSA shoot in Winchester Va I understand.

It has post Civil War and Oyster Police markings on it.

I can't give an exact location because the owners may not want it

blasted over the internet.

Kap

Yes, that's it, Kap.

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
Kap do you have any photos showing the markings that you could share with us?  Thanks

A,

I may be able to take some but it will be into next weekend.

It is on semi private property.

Last time I went up there,  a very interested party came out and asked
"what the --ll I was doing there".

K

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Being the Oyster police were formed right after the Civil War it is likely this was a standard US made cannon that some folk lore was built up around, I would think there were more than enough surplus cannon around that they did not have to have it cast new...... the state probably got it through normal Government channels..... any original markings may have been destroyed at the time state seal was engraved......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium