Author Topic: 9mm range brass  (Read 537 times)

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
9mm range brass
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
I recently acquired several hundred pieces of once-fired 9mm brass. Most of it is WCC military, Federal commercial, a smattering of R-P and WIN, and some others that I don't know much about. These are headstamped PMC, IMI, PAPA, S&B, and AMERI. Can anyone provide information on this latter group? Old WW2 vet would be most appreciative.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: 9mm range brass
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
I recently acquired several hundred pieces of once-fired 9mm brass. Most of it is WCC military, Federal commercial, a smattering of R-P and WIN, and some others that I don't know much about. These are headstamped PMC, IMI, PAPA, S&B, and AMERI. Can anyone provide information on this latter group? Old WW2 vet would be most appreciative.

PMC is a current manufacturer: http://www.pmcammo.com/catalog.html
IMI is Israel Military Industries, Tel Aviv, Israel
S&B is Sellier and Bellot a current manufacturer: http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/
I think AMERI is american eagle, but not sure...
and only reference to PAPA stamp seems to be japenese for 9mm nambu possibly or something...
Not always here, but here is one cross reference.  ;)  http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline milespb

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
Other than the Americ i have used all the others without any problems. I was given about 300 pieces of Americ .45 brass, tried reloading it and hated it so threw it away. I don't know who makes it but I don't think it is American Eagle, I believe that is Federal.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
PMC is actually nice brass.  S&B seems to be fine and IMI is ok too.  The Amerc (American ammunition co.) is junk, don't even bother with it.  I am not familiar with PAPA, and could find no reference to it.  Could it be "PARA"?

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
I use a lot of PMC and S&B brass--only brass I like better is R&P.

cybin

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
I have better luck with Winchester in .45 auto and colt, but I don't load 9mm, so not sure if it's equally good.  I get my .45 acp for free from a buddy whose grandson shoots a Tommy Gun.  Man does he go through a lotta ball ammo.  lol  Remmy and Magtech brass in .45 acp has been very soft and the rims distort easily when sizing etc.  The Winchester has been loaded hundreds of times with nothing but scratches.  As I said though, dunno about the 9mm stuff.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
Check out this site for head stamp data:

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Federal, IMI and Western (Western Cartridge Corp.=WCC) make NATO spec GI ammo and a lot of it hits the market since they always set up and make a lot more than the contract calls for.  If it has a crimped in primer and the NATO circle and cross emblem it was made in a GI contract run or, at least, from the same components and on the same machines. 

The GI brass will need the primers punched out by something more robust than a standard decapping pin and then will need the primer pocket swadged to get rid of the crimp ridge and allow seating of new primers.  RCBS sells a kit to deal with this that works for both rifle and pistol brass and both large and small primers. 

Since the GI stuff tends to have a slightly thicker case wall than commercial brass and you might want to keep an eye out for signs of excessive pressure with max loads due to the lower internal volume although it is rarely an issue for pistol brass.

Thank you for your service.

Lance

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
Thanks much, gents. I decapped (and resized) all of it using a Lee carbide FL die in a RCBS Rockchucker press. No problems there. I don't have a primer pocket swager but I do have a Wilson case trimmer and Wilson primer pocket reamers and therefore expect no problems with the WCC military brass. Of the six hundred or so pieces of brass I expect to throw away less than twenty.