Author Topic: Tired of bullet casters that are equivelent to cheesy used car dealers.  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Are there any reliable casters out there that do more than plain based cast bullets in the standard 9mm, 38, 44, and 45 caliber pistol casting and that are willing to cast bullets other than super hard bullets with a BHN # of 24 or so?

Over the past four years I've been dealing with two casters.  For the time being, I'll keep their names confidential although I'd really like to announce their names to the public. 
I'm tired of calling or sending e-mail to these people and getting instant responses BEFORE you place an order but AFTER you place the order, you don't see your bullets for months or more (even though you were promised they'd be coming in a week or so) AND, when you write to them or call, you get NO response.  What kind of way is that to run a business?  It's literally like dealing with one of those old time used car dealers.

I know there are a bunch of casters listed on the FAQ's here but does anyone have any personal experience with these casters in that you actually get what you're looking for in a reasonable amount of time.   One of the casters listed on the FAQ's is one that I'm dealing with currently and I'm getting quite frustrated with him.
Any background history on the listed casters would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Tired of bullet casters that are equivelent to cheesy used car dealers.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
It's time to do it yourself. I've found it an excellent way to improve communications, and customer satisfaction skyrockets.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
I've had good luck with bullets from Dardas, Missouri Cast, and Moyer's. I don't know if these outfits are o the list but I have no problem recommending ny of them.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
yeah, cast your own. it takes a little while to learn it and about 50 to 100 buks in equipment. im not even that smart and my bullets turn out good.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
A large part of my reason for casting was #1, I am assured of future and constant supply regardless of external conditions, #2 I can get the specific bullets that I want, not just approximations. #3 I had access to large quantities of wheel weights for free at that time (80's) I also do sinkers and other stuff. I just looked at 3/4/5/6 oz sinkers @ cabelas, they average about 2$ each. I made 40-50 in about an hour last weekend for my Florida trip. I will look for a bunch of sparkplugs to go with them for use on the jettys and be good to go.
I will wait until the next foul weather weekend that I need to be indoors and cast the next batch of bullets, last one I went through about 65 pounds of alloy or so. When it gets real hot in the summer I do my sizing and lubing. I find casting to be a very peaceful activity, you have to follow a slow, careful, and unvarying routine, it is quiet and requires attention to detail, time flows like you wont believe.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:44:47 PM »
These days most commercial casters for some reason use alloy that is way too hard for any normal purpose. I was looking over all the folks on the thread here about them and did notice one that offered some of their styles in reasonable alloy and you might talk them into casting others from it. I do not recall which one it was.

I recently placed fairly large orders with three companies.

1. Leadheads. I had some of their Lyman 429421 Keith bullets from the first H&R PD shoot we had years ago and they looked good and shot good as well so I placed a large order with them. I was VERY disappointed in the quality of the bullets. Almost all have very noticeable wrinkles and voids and perhaps only 25% had all the lube on them that I assume they started with. Quite honestly after looking over what I got from them I don't think they will be getting anymore of my money. Maybe but not likely. I got 1000 RCBS-270-SAA bullets from them and requested sizing at .452". I got them sized at .454" and they will not chamber in my Ruger BH 45 Colt. Since I have so many of them I'll trim 100 cases just short enough to chamber but those I have loaded I must size down to fit or pull them. Grrr. They also charged me $40 to ship the order. It would have fit in a large flat rate USPS box both weight and size wise.

2. Magnus in Tony, AL. I've used Magnus bullets off and on for a lot of years and have always been happy with them. The ones I got in this order were no exception. Shipping was fast and bullets look good and shoot good. Shipping was free. I normally buy my Magnus bullets from GBO Sponsor Midsouth Shooter's Supply but there were two I wasn't sure of I wanted to get smaller quantities of than Midsouth carries so I ordered direct. Now that I know I like them I can buy larger quantities from Midsouth.

3. Western Bullet Co. I'm still waiting on them so cannot comment on the quality of them yet. When I got my credit card statement I found they had charged my card and 40 days (yeah 40 that's no typo) later I had heard nothing from them. I sent an e-mail explaining that I own this site and was planning to do a review of their bullets along with those in the orders above but now I wasn't so sure they'd be included. I also told them that if I didn't get a ship date soon I'd deny the charges and have my credit card company refund my money. I let them know I'd let you guys know about this and now have.

So if you like their bullet styles I can definitely recommend Magnus bullets. Sadly they don't make a very wide selection of flat base bullets most are bevel base but they do a good job and ship quickly in my experience. Yeah they use alloy too dang hard for the job.

I have all the equipment and can and have done a lot of casting of my own bullets. I like to shoot my own bullets as I can control the quality of them. BUT I really do hate casting bullets so these days I mostly shoot bullets cast by someone else. I'm happy with Magnus bullets and they are not that expensive so I might not start back to casting and just use their bullets.

I'd still like a quality source for the RCBS-45-270-SAA bullet and will likely be looking for someone else besides Leadheads that casts them. If not I might just cast them myself or just do like I should and make me some LBT bullets. Did I mention I hate casting bullets?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:48:21 AM »
contact frank at mt baldy bullets. http://www.mtbaldybullets.com/ hes hands down the most knowlegable comercial bullet caster ive ever known. He knows what works and what doesnt because he actually kills things with his bullets. hes a salt of the earth guy with not a lick of bs in him.
blue lives matter

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »
I'd love to cast my own but unfortunately, my house space is very limited and I really have no place to do it.  Ventilation is a very big concern around my place.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:53:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  There's some good information here!

Greybeard, one of those casters that you mentioned is the one I have an order out with.  My order hit 30 days yesterday.  Believe me, prior to placing the order, I had all kinds of good communication.  I sent an e-mail a week ago and all I've heard back are crickets.  I'm SO TIRED of that!  This is not the first time either. 
I can say that I have been pretty satisfied with their stuff from past orders.  A few times I got my order quickly, but a couple of times I was promised "this and that" and ended up getting my order nearly two months later. 

Like everyone else, I tend to like to get what I pay for WHEN I pay for it.  I just paid my credit card bill  which included my bill from WBC from last month and I have yet to see anything.  As a review of someone's product, I've got a mind to have my credit card company give a review!   >:(

For the most part, I can handle the extra hard bullets for my 45 Colt other pistol ammo that is running high in pressures.  While this doesn't do well for hunting on the terminal end of things, I don't hunt more than varmints so it doesn't make too much of a difference to me, although it certainly does for you guys that hunt deer and larger game with your revolvers.  When shooting lower pressure rounds, however, such as 45 ACP, 38-55's, etc,  too hard of a bullet can lead to some leading in the barrel which is why I'd like to find a caster that can cast something other than rocks AND have a nice turn-around time. 

I'll take a look into Magnus and Mt. Baldy as well as some of the others recommended here.  Thanks guys!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 07:46:29 AM »
A placed a small order with the Western Co for their 150 gr Button bullet in 45-70 and got them in reasonable time.

Another order was placed with Beartooth and their response was equally satisfying.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
My bullet order from Western Bullets came today. I looked over all the bullets as they were packaged 100 per plastic bag and easy to look them over.

I have to say I like the quality of the bullets. They look good and the lube made the journey here in good shape. I did notice in some packages there are two different colors of lube. Can't say I've ever seen that before in commercial cast bullets but have in my own a few times when I ran out of lube and changed to a different one. I don't really see that as a problem.

So while it sure took them a long time to deliver after taking my money they did deliver and they delivered some very nice looking bullets.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »
A member of GB's forum here got some 9mm bullets from Oregon trails (or what ev er their name is) They were over sized 358 and 359, he called them on it and they told him his calipers were wrong. We got to gather one day with some of the bullets, his calipers (electronic) and my calipers (manul) using both sets of calipers we kept getting the same readings (oversize) I had also brought my lyman 450 sizer with my 9mm die. We ran the handfull of the ones we had checked and then ran them thru the luber/sizer it clearly showed where the bullets had been shaved, I loaned him my sizer and he went home and did the other 490 of the bullets, they said they would check them if he payed the fraight(sp) both ways. I had the same prob. years ago with them on 44 bulets, and havant bought from them since.

Gun Runner

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 04:21:11 AM »
I have to agree with you on the quality of WBC's bullets.  I really like them, hence why I was willing to take this risk of the LONNNNGGGGGG WAAIIIITTTTTTT.   ;D   Jon packs them nicely and the bullets themselves are a very good quality.  I wish I lived near him so I could just go pick up my order instead of waiting for them to be shipped. 

Here is what I think is the hang up:  I think that Jon probably has maybe two people helping him at best but he's got tons of huge orders to handle.  Things may get too hectic at times and perhaps he can't keep things in order at those times.  Eventually though, you get your bullets and mine have always been very good bullets. 

Part of my issue, I suppose, is my own fault.  I tend to wait until I need a TON of bullets and overwhelm him with a huge order rather than a few hundred here and there.  My last order was pretty big.  I'd bet my mail delivery person on my end will have a hernia when he has to deliver them.

I guess next time I should make some smaller orders and see what the turn-around time is and give it another try.

My bullet order from Western Bullets came today. I looked over all the bullets as they were packaged 100 per plastic bag and easy to look them over.

I have to say I like the quality of the bullets. They look good and the lube made the journey here in good shape. I did notice in some packages there are two different colors of lube. Can't say I've ever seen that before in commercial cast bullets but have in my own a few times when I ran out of lube and changed to a different one. I don't really see that as a problem.

So while it sure took them a long time to deliver after taking my money they did deliver and they delivered some very nice looking bullets.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 04:47:06 AM »
My order from Western weighed 28 pounds I believe. It was well packaged. I got a bunch of different bullet styles to try but not large quantities of them. I have no doubt they will shoot well as they do look good.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 04:53:31 AM »
I buy cast bullets from Georgia Arms.  I can only say they look and shoot great.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 06:01:00 AM »
The first rounds I ever shot of 38-55 ammo were my reloads using WBC's bullets.  I was on a 50 yard range just to roughly sight in my new (at the time) Wesson and Harrington target classic.  After three rounds, my tang sight was set and the next five rounds were all bunched up and touching in roughly a one inch elongated hole......if that is any statement of how your bullets will shoot.
I've shot prairie dogs with this rifle and Western's bullets many times at distances of 75 to over 200 yards.  I like Western's bullets....I just hate the waiting game.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if my order is close to 60 pounds.

My order from Western weighed 28 pounds I believe. It was well packaged. I got a bunch of different bullet styles to try but not large quantities of them. I have no doubt they will shoot well as they do look good.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »

Hey Blackhawker:

A while ago I ordered 5M bullets for a 44 mag.  232gr, GC, a good deal. Well I didn't need them right away so I failed to examine them. When I did, it was some time later,    there were no GC on the bullets so I wound up with 5000 44's with no GC.   I know    It was my fault for not looking at them when I rec. the box. I trusted the mfg.,,, not again....
  HM

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
It's good to check over what you order right away.
What is 5M?  Is that a caster??

Hey Blackhawker:

A while ago I ordered 5M bullets for a 44 mag.  232gr, GC, a good deal. Well I didn't need them right away so I failed to examine them. When I did, it was some time later,    there were no GC on the bullets so I wound up with 5000 44's with no GC.   I know    It was my fault for not looking at them when I rec. the box. I trusted the mfg.,,, not again....
  HM

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:47:57 AM »
Putting words in SHrex's mouth, I believe that 5M is the same as 5 THOUSAND.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
OH, so that would be 5 K.    ;)
Putting words in SMrex's mouth, I believe that 5M is the same as 5 THOUSAND.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »
I agree with you that "K" is the accepted abbreviation for Thousand and "M" is ordinarily associated with Million.

My empirical evidence is:
1.)  SHrex indicated how many 44 mag bullets he received, (5000), so it seems logical that his "M" is Thousand in his post.
2.)  5 Million bullets x 232 grains per bullet is the equivalent of one hundred sixty five thousand one hundred seventy four (165,174) pounds of lead.  That's a lotta weight.

Hopefully, he will elaborate.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »

Hey Fellows:

I thought in Roman Numerials that M = 1000.  That is where the M came from, am I wrong???LOL
  HM

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »
Not to change the subject at hand too much but typically K means Thousand.  A five K run is five Kilometers.  There are 1000 meters in a Kilo meter.  K = Kilo.....or 1000.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »

Hey Blackhawker:

I have to admit to living in the past sometimes, thanks for the clarification, I will, in the future try to use the K in reference to a thousand. I am still in the habit of using Roman Numerals for numbering written pages ect, just an old habit, sorry for the confusion. I still try to read the Dates at the bottom of the old movies ect, that are written in the Roman Numerals, kindof a game to get the dates right,,, sometimes I do get it right... ..  Land_ Owner is right about the weight being 165K lbs.  Ha Ha what a load to try to haul,, right!!!
  If I remember the wt. was about 165lbs. They were packed in 500 bullets per package.
  thanks
  HM

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 03:43:50 AM »
Smokehouserex; no problem with the mix-up of the M and K.  I just thought that was a caster's name...that's all.
I am a chemist so I work with those "metric" prefixes on a regular basis.  I don't however, work with the Roman numerals.  Despite being taught how to read them way back in grade school, I cannot read those years listed on movies, so you've got one up on me there!   ;D

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 03:45:45 AM »
I'm still waiting on my cast bullets from WBC.  I'm sure they'll be here sometime soon.  In the mean time, if anyone else has any recommendation for bullet casters.....post em up!  It'll help us all.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:45 PM »
GB- Instead of ruining brass, just buy a LEE .452 sizer kit & run the bullets through the die.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »
GB- Instead of ruining brass, just buy a LEE .452 sizer kit & run the bullets through the die.

Thanks but no thanks to the Lee sizer. I don't see cutting down a few brass as ruining them. I have a thousand of the bullets to shoot up and can do it just fine at no extra cost and minimal time expended by trimming a few brass to use with them.
Ain't no biggie.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »
amen to that and id probably have to sell all my toys to be able to afford to shoot if i didnt.
It's time to do it yourself. I've found it an excellent way to improve communications, and customer satisfaction skyrockets.
blue lives matter

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
 Gun Runner is a very experience and well equipped caster, and the lead fumes have had no effect on his brain.
For years I have fired cast bullets in my 357’s and my 9mm.  That came to a slow halt once I became a Special Agent.  I did not have the time and I was working 24/7 and an upside was the job provided all the training, qualification ammunition I needed.  What reloading time I had was dedicated to loading for my hunting rifles.
I knew that someday I would have a needed for reloading components for the pistol rounds.  I stocked piled cast bullets for both calibers.  The time came and I made an order.
I had issues with the bullets and Gun Runner said he would bring his calipers to our monthly breakfast.  After breakfast we went out and measure bullets with our calipers and the results were the same.  I knew there was an issue because the #4 die of my Lee 4-die 9mm set was shaving lead off the bullets.  The die was not shaving lead off other cast bullets or jacketed bullets.
Gun Runner brought one of his Lyman bullet sizers and we resized a few there in the parking lot.    We had found a good spot back under the tall pines.  GR showed off some his fine 9mm cast bullets.  We made a deal, he is rather generous he cast great bullets. 
Before Christmas we had a family shoot at the Gun Club, SIL along with two granddaughters.  The older of the two was in the market for a 9mm.  When we went to the range we had three 9mm pistols for her to try out. 
That girl shot up a lot of ammo.  A lot can be said for “interest” and “young” eyes.  It was a good thing I had an extra contain with boxes of ammo in it.  Part way thru the shoot, she looked around at me and asks if Grandpa had more bullets.  The shoot was a positive experience because we had not malfunctions.  I give credit to the bullets GR cast for me.
To increase the breath of her experience she also fired my M13 with Speer 148 HBWC bullets which is a very mild load.  But I also had her fire some GR cast SWC .358 bullets pushed at 1200 fps.  She then fired the 9mm some more, and then went back to the M13.  Setting before her was a box of mild wadcutters, and a box of the 158-grain loads.  She asked me which ones she should shoot.
I told her it was her choice.
She picked the heavy loads.
She had not malfunctions with the M13.

In January she purchased Springfield 9mm. 
Gun Runner gave her a coffee can filled with 9mm bullets this past Saturday, he says there are around 1300 bullets in the can. 
She is a busy mother, with two kids, a husband, and a full time job.  Without a doubt she will find time to come out and load them at my bench.  I expect to have shoulder surgery down the road but I can teach her to reload with my arm in a sling.  Success recruits new shooters. (Good bullets)

I been limiting my post because of injuries but I must praise Gun Runner, and his wife who worked for me long ago. :) :)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.