Author Topic: HIGH VELOCITY AMMO FROM SMALL TOWN SPORTING GOODS STORES  (Read 760 times)

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
HIGH VELOCITY AMMO FROM SMALL TOWN SPORTING GOODS STORES
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
A couple months ago my son and I stopped at a sporting goods store in a small Iowa town, looked at stuff including the ammo selection and visited with the owner. He mentioned that his prices were higher than the prices for ammo at the big stores like Bass Pro and Walmart in larger towns, but that he gets better products. That is, he said that the big stores get ammo that is marked the same but the ammunition companies give the large stores a better price because the ammo loaded for them has less powder and less velocity. He said that all one has to do is shoot some ammo from Walmart and some ammo from his store and they will feel a big difference in recoil since the ammo he sells is loaded to a higher velocity. I wonder how many of his customers believe his story?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: HIGH VELOCITY AMMO FROM SMALL TOWN SPORTING GOODS STORES
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
You were lied to. He prolly can't be trusted to deal honestly with you on other matters either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:47 AM »
He is simply trying to capitalize on the "Walmart sells inferior or seconds" mentality. A major ammunition manufacturer wouldn't switch gears like that. That gunshop buys from a distributor that gets the same ammunition that's shipped to Walmart, Cabelas, Dicks, Gander Mountain, etc. Ask him why his guns are more expensive than big box stores.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:50:58 AM »
We are not planning on going back to that store. But it was entertaining!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 05:05:37 AM »
As stated you have been lied to.... If your buying Rem green/yellow for example, (incert caliber)ammo it's same same as I buy here or Bill buys in bammer or you at this yahoos place. ::)

BUT what is true is the big ammo companies have made special packaging of ammo for these stores. IE either bulk boxes only available there or different packaging special for that store. I doubt there is any other difference.

The actual firearms from some companies HAVE BEEN made for these stores to sell at spec price points. Many times lower than nearly identical firearms at other retailers. Marlin, Winchester and Remington have all made such firearms.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »
Find a new gunshop!! If he lied about that i wouldnt trust him on anything.
blue lives matter