Author Topic: 270 barrel repair - test in progess  (Read 415 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
270 barrel repair - test in progess
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
Hi All,

I trashed the pivot and latch shelf of my 270 barrel well over a year ago.  Combination of many factors lead to this barrel going on the disabled list.  Problems were;
Underlug pivot not cut square to the barrel
Chamber with excessive headspace
Lack of patience on my part when trying to correct this barrel's problems. 
I learned the following;
Much easier to remove metal than to replace it, and,
until you have the pivot correct, leave the blankity blank latch shelf alone. :o
I would have probably just pitched this barrel but on the rare occassionally when it didn't pop open of wobble for a 3 or 4 shot string it was capable of shooting some mighty fine groups.
Recently I hooked up with a friend of mine and he showed me how to silver solder.  The solder he has was made for commerical air conditioning repair and is 40% silver (40% not a mis print).  We used an oxy/acetylene torch to melt this stuff.  My friend built up the pivot and the latch shelf and then used an end mill to cut it close.  I slowly finished the pivot and then the latch shelf by hand with 100 grit paper.  I have a small rectangular block than I wrap with 100 grit for the shelf sanding and I wrap the same paper around the stock bolt for the pivot sanding.   Note:  repairs were made with just the silver solder, no metal shim stock was used.
Took the gun to the range today and no pop opens or any change in the latch release mechinism position after about 2 dozen shots.  I shot both my handloads and some dang hot hornady factory loads.  I will continue testing  and see how this repair lasts but I am very happy after today.  The last 2 shots today, my handloads, where at a bowling pin laying on its side @ 200 yards.  I was 2 for 2 on the pin using a Weaver 20mm 1x3 scope.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: 270 barrel repair - test in progess
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
dang BB, 200 wifa 1-3x20 glass you musta bea young whipper-snapper :o
i thaught u wasa wo-out like me..... hey that be gud shoot'un tho  ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
Good to hear your success!  Personally I'd need a much bigger scope to even see a bowling pin at that distance let alone hit it!  Keep us informed how it works for you and if it holds up, we may have another repair option available to us.  Thanks.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
dang BB, 200 wifa 1-3x20 glass you musta bea young whipper-snapper :o
i thaught u wasa wo-out like me..... hey that be gud shoot'un tho  ;)
no whippa snappa here, went on Medicare last year. :P   I think I only hit the bowling pin because I held the proper lead on it. ;)
BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
Good deal BB!  Never crossed my mind to use silver solder.  Seems like I remember they make 2 or 3 different melting point combinations of the A/C stuff.  That'd make it a lot easier to melt and work with.  It'd be nice if you'd put a number of rounds through it and recheck the lockup and lets us know if it's "tough" enough.

Ron
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:28:29 AM »
It's nice when a plan comes together. ;D
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.