Author Topic: Removing copper from barrels  (Read 698 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Removing copper from barrels
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
What is your favorite product for removing copper, and do you prefer a bronze brush or nylon?

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Removing copper from barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
I use a spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner down the barrel followed immediately by a real tight dry patch. The copper and lead comes out on the patch. The instant cold and dissimilar metals makes the copper and lead turn loose. The patch pushes it out. Works for me anyway.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »
I really like Barnes CR 10 if you have a lot of copper.  Be sure you are in a well ventilated area with this stuff.  I use it to take out heavy copper fouling from the barnes bullets.  I like butches bore shine too but it is not nearly as aggressive for copper as the cr 10.

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »
Wipe-Out has worked better for me than anything else I have tried and I've tried alot of cleaners.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
I have lots of cleaners on the bench and used to swear by Sweets, &  Shooter's Choice.  Wipe out is my favorite now - no stink and works nice over night.  I've used some of this newer Hoppe's nontoxic, and several other brands.  They all work to some extent but the Wipeout is my favorite.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:01:49 PM »
I use a spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner down the barrel followed immediately by a real tight dry patch. The copper and lead comes out on the patch. The instant cold and dissimilar metals makes the copper and lead turn loose. The patch pushes it out. Works for me anyway.

That sounds interesting and it's something I've never tried before.  How do you know if the brake cleaner is "non-chlorinated" and why does it matter?

By far the majority of the time I use Wipe Out for copper removal and I rarely use brushes; only patches.  I think Shooter's Choice is better for carbon removal though.

Offline George Foster

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »
I have found Bore Tech Eliminator is an excellent solvent for removing both carbon and copper.  Any copper that isn't removed by the Eliminator I use Montana 50BMG on.  I use nylon brushes and patches with both solvents.
Good Shooting,
George

Offline shot1

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 01:40:10 AM »
I use one of the foaming bore cleaners, Outers or Gunslick. Spray it in and wait 15 min and patch it out = clean. Of you use one of the cleaners like CR-10 Copper removers from Barnes DO NOT USE A BRONZE ETC BORE BRUSH. It will eat it up and leave the deposit in your bore.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »
wipe out works great but it tends to migrate into the action and drys to a gummy residue so you have to either be careful with it or pull the stock off and clean the gun. It also darkens oil finished wood if you get some on it but it sure does tackle copper fouling. I also like montana extreem. Sweets is a great one but its so powerful you dont want to leave it in a barrel overnight or get it on blued surfaces but truth be told theres no better solvent for getting the copper out.
blue lives matter

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:56 AM »
For dedicated, hard-core, this thing has more copper than a penny factory copper fouling, I use my Foul-Out II.  Nothing better for really, seriously severe copper problems.

Short of that, I also like the Gunslick foaming bore cleaner.  Getting the very last trace of copper from the very last pore will take multiple applications, at least on fairly new barrels, IME.  Still, it's fast and supremely simple & easy.  Sweets, Barnes, Montana Extreme, Hoppe's Elite... all of those are significantly sub-standard compared to the Gunslick foam.

I'd like to try Boretech Eliminator, and I'd also like to try KG-12.  Well, actually, I'd like to not have to! ;)
In that vein, I have had outstanding results from DynaBore Coat.  I almost entirely stops coppering troubles in the barrels I've put it in.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:29:34 AM »
I've been using Tetra bore cleaner for the last couple years. Good to get the copper out, and doesn't etch the barrel, so is safe to leave in overnight if you want. It's not a runny liquid like Shooter Choice,(although that works too), it's a thicker liquid, kinda like naval jelly. I still like to follow up with alittle J/B and Kroil mix. Dry patch it out, and finish with Tetra lube, or G96. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:41:13 AM »
Ive used tetra lube in my autos for years and love it. Never tried there bore cleaner though. Might have to add a bottle to my next order.
blue lives matter

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:40:46 AM »
I run a dry bronze brush through followed by a carb cleaner soaked patch. The I run a patch soaked with a 50/50 solution of Kroil & Shooter's choice. I let that soak for about 10 min. and run a nylon brush through about 10 times. I clean that out with a carb cleaner soaked patch and then run a Sweet's soaked patch through and let that soak for about 10 min and clean that out with a couple of carb cleaner soaked patches. Usually I've already got the copper out before the Sweets but the Sweets will show if I haven't.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »
I use Ammonia right out the bottle on a clean patch. I soak it for a few mins then soak a nylon brush and scrub it. Then a few more soaked patches until the blue green is gone. A few dry patches then a liberal coat of oil. Then a fresh dry patch to remove excess oil. Do this in a well ventilated area.
There are some who advise aginst this but some copper removal solvents have in in then anyway.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »
... a 50/50 solution of Kroil & Shooter's choice. ... then run a Sweet's soaked patch through and let that soak for about 10 min and clean that out ... Usually I've already got the copper out before the Sweets but the Sweets will show if I haven't.

+ 1!   ;D   Never tried the carb cleaner though.  :-\   but I just may...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:38:25 AM »
Sweeta has amo......... and cost more  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
Great thread here...lots a good ideas. 8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"