Author Topic: Let's talk about case trimmers.  (Read 1283 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Let's talk about case trimmers.
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Need to purchase a case trimmer. Reloading these calibers- .204 Ruger, .243 Win, 7.62x39mm, .308 Win.

First off, I like the concept behind Lee's trimmer system. Easy for a beginner. Nothing to screw up. That said, Lee does not make a case length gauge for the .204. I called them this morning to see if they could custom make one (they offer that service for some calibers) and the nice CS lady explained that they could not for the .204 as the case length gauge hole in the center of the cutter was too large in diameter to effectively trim cases smaller than the calibers that use bullets that are .224 in diameter. So scratch that idea. LE Wilson's system looks to be very accurate, but it's looks very slow and cumbersome to use. And the fired vs new/resized gauges needed for my calibers would raise the cost of the tool dramatically. So I'm down to the Hornady Cam Lock or one of the Lymans as both offer an affordable trimmer that can trim all my different calibers. Problem is that neither Lyman or Hornady has a proper sized pilot for .310/.311 case mouths. They both sell .308 and .312. I called Hornady this afternoon to see what they suggested for me to use on my 7.62x39mm cases. The CS rep took the time to look into it and suggested I try the .312 as it actually measures .307. The .308 pilot they sell actually measures .303. Lyman according to their website suggests I use a .308 pilot. I have no idea as the actual size of the Lyman pilot as I did not have time to call them today. I suppose I could always buy the .312 pilot and if it was tight in the mouth of the case, I could carefully chuck it up in my drill press and gently sand and polish some material off of it till it fit correctly. What say all of you? Go easy on me if this is a 'dumb question' as I am new to reloading and am trying to learn. Thanks.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Re: Let's talk about case trimmers.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Sounds like you have it all figured out already.  I have used a Lyman and an RCBS.  Both worked fine, though I have gone to the lee trimmers now.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
+1 on the Lee trimmers.  I just chuck up the 3-jaw chuck in the drill and start in.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:17 AM »
only thing looking at it id say is it looks like you either have to buy a unit specific for the caliber or at least bushings to keep the case going in straight as every case is differnt. I keep dummy rounds for my rcbs and its a less then 2 minute job to swap in the shell holder a pilot and put the dummy in to adjust cutting dept. Id  like to see the guy adjust for a differnt case as it may be alot more time consuming then something like the hornady or rcbs. For the most part i use a rcbs power trimmer and a dillon press mounted trimmer. Ive got a few of the lees i occasionaly use and they get the job done too. Ive also got a manual rcbs trimmer but thats used for turning necks.
Have any of you tried one of these WFT s

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/worlds-finest-trimmer-power-case-trimmer/

Pat
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
Welcome!!

The only dumb questions are those NOT asked!!!

The Lee trimmer is a nice simple tool that works well. Add it to a stationary drill motor or. "zip" string and it's better.  ( I do not support many Lee products mind you) This one works and works well!

I have used a Foster trimmer since I learned to load. I still have it along with my Redding scale up on a shelf!! I bought a Lyman trimmer when I needed to turn some necks and liked the case head holding better then the collet set up of the Forster. Then I bought a 357 Herrett and a 7.65x53... Both require forming and allot of trimming. I bought a Lyman power trimmer. This is still in use today twenty some years later. I just used it last night making up a hundred 6.5x63 cases.

It is a bit of a pain to set up sometimes. The adjustment is both coarse and fine with set screws. But on e adjusted stays put.

As for exact fitting Pilots forget it! ESP if you have much to trim. The "burr" gets under the pilot and removal is difficult. The couple thousands difference here will not make a big difference. It's simply keeping the neck supported. As a matter of fact I use a 30 cal when making 7.65 brass just because of the burr problem.

There are places a couple thousands will make all the difference in the world. A trimmer pilot is not one of them. It's good you have a attention to detail, don't loose that. When in doubt ask the question, weigh the answers. Maybe with a consensus and move on cautiously. Personally I like to double check nearly every aspect of a load the first couple times I do it. Just to be safe.

RCBS and I am sure the Hornady trimmers are just as functional.

Good luck,
CW

PS I also have two of this so called "Worlds finest trimmer" it is very nice. BUT expensive, and case specific. It's good for say 308 or 223 if you load and shoot one or two calibers allot. OR are searching for the ultimate in perfection with your loadings.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
I've had an RCBS for for most of my life.  It's my least favorite step in case prep.  Well, maybe pulling bullets is worse.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
First off, I like the concept behind Lee's trimmer system. Easy for a beginner. Nothing to screw up. That said, Lee does not make a case length gauge for the .204.

I was told the same thing, but I made one from a turned down 22-250( I think, it's been a while  ::)) length gauge, it works fine. I use the Lyman for everything that I can't make a Lee trimmer for.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:41 AM »
  I use the Forster case trimmer...  Very accurate and very smooth.

I bought it many years ago, and i've never out grown it.  You can ream, neck turn and about anything else that needs to be done to a case with it.  If you have the need, they even offer longer bases for it...

DM

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
  I use the Forster case trimmer...  Very accurate and very smooth.

I bought it many years ago, and i've never out grown it.  You can ream, neck turn and about anything else that needs to be done to a case with it.  If you have the need, they even offer longer bases for it...

DM

Damn puter... paragraphs gone...  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

You are correct DM, I should clarify.
My post made it sound like the Forster trimmer was of poor quality or not desirable. This is untrue, the Forster trimmer will turn your necks or trim your brass. it is a quality unit that would serve anyone well.

Back when I switched to the Lyman, there was no Midway, no Midsouth... No Internet.. I guess I could have called Herters and they likely would have had what I needed. But the Forster was my fathers and I wanted my own...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline wncchester

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »
It's important for a mandral/pilot to fit snug when neck turning, the fit is much less important when simply trimming to length.

I don't have a sub-caliber but IF I did, I suspect I'd get a Forster case trimmer, it doesn't use pilots at all.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
It's important for a mandral/pilot to fit snug when neck turning, the fit is much less important when simply trimming to length.

I don't have a sub-caliber but IF I did, I suspect I'd get a Forster case trimmer, it doesn't use pilots at all.

Maybe i don't understand what you are saying, but Forster uses two kinds of pilots.  One for trimming and the other for turning.

DM

Offline wncchester

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 01:27:23 PM »
"One for trimming and the other for turning."

All neck turners use snug fitting mandrals but I don't know what you're calling a "pilot" for Wilson's trimmer.  Wilson's sleeve type case holder eliminates the need for a pilot.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 06:59:51 AM »
L.E.Wilson...perfect case trimmer....works perfectly every time.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 07:13:45 AM »
"One for trimming and the other for turning."

All neck turners use snug fitting mandrals but I don't know what you're calling a "pilot" for Wilson's trimmer.  Wilson's sleeve type case holder eliminates the need for a pilot.

On the Forster trimmer, if I may, uses a mandrel for neck turning and a pilot for trimming...

Wilsons trimer is a diffeent animal, yes while it was mentioned, just in a different breath. ;)

I agree propper fit is needed for turning (mandrel)  but not as important for trimming (pilot).

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies, gives me something to stew on!

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Got a Wilson when I got my HVA 243 in about 1966, both are still as good as new! I have never seen a better made product, the only thing I have ever had to replace are case mouth cutters and chamfering tools that got to dulled to use. I have numerous shell holders probably 20 or so,  keep your eyes open at gun shows can get them for less than $3 quite often. I have several add on's including mil primer pocket reamers, inside case neck reamers, very handy for necking up or down cases to thin necks-do it prior to necking down or the necks may be too thin. Also if the shell holder doesn't fit your particular case just try reversing other holders and a lot of the time you will find one that works passably well. I simply put in my bench vise for a holder and everything IS solid AND square. pretty good for about $10.00 then and 45 years old. Also they are compact and easy to store. I have taken the crank handle off of the cutter and chucked it in a 3/8 port. drill when I have a lot to do, works great-Muddy