Author Topic: Leupold VX R riflescopes  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Leupold VX R riflescopes
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
I am impatiently waiting for Ruger to bring out their new "American" rifle in 308Win caliber, after swearing I had bought my last Ruger rifle. LOL  Anyway, I am seriously looking at the VX R scopes and I think I might like the 2-7X33.  It is a more compact scope which is the first attribute that attracked me to it.  Has anyone any personal experience with this model?  I would hate to spend nearly $500 dollars to find out I could have the same level of optics for half that.  Thanks, Dennis

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Leupold VX R riflescopes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
I own ten Leupold scopes and no you will never find a comporable quality for half their price.  Likewise you can spend twice their price without getting a scope that is twice as good.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10:58 AM »
I've looked at quite a few and like Charles...Leupi is the ONE!  But...I've also looked at VXR scopes and was mildly disappointed because the cross hairs are larger/thicker.  It made me stop and rethink a bit.  Doesn't mean I won't buy one though.  A buddy of mine has a 4x14 VXR on his 300HH that he used to take a leopard with in SA.  I'm kinda envious at the set up and the trophy.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
I own ten Leupold scopes and no you will never find a comporable quality for half their price.  Likewise you can spend twice their price without getting a scope that is twice as good.

It all depends on the particular model of Leupold about which you are talking.  However, all else being equal (i.e. the same comparable model level for each manufacturer), I think that Leupold and Nikon (and the Bushnell Elite 4200s) are all very comparable.  I know, because I own many similar model/level/class scopes from each of these 3 manufacturers.  In particular, I think that the Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch, and Bushnell Elite 4200 (which are all in the same model/level/class, are of equal value and quality.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
IMO the Zeiss Conquest is as good as it gets for the money.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline hog50

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:14:10 AM »
I have a VX-R 2X7 mounted on a Encore 45-70.  So far i am happy with the scope.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56:18 AM »
Swampy we disagree there. I dont think my two conquests are in the same league as my vx2 leupolds. Id take a nikon monarch, 4200 bush. or a vx3 leupold hands down over the conquests. At least the two 3x9s i have. I just am not impressed with there low light performance compared to the others. Guys want to think just because it says ziess on it there majicaly a great scope of there some sort of expert for buying one. Keep in mind that GOOD zeiss scopes cost 2 grand and tell me how ziess can sell them if there 400 dollar conquest is so darned good. Cost of material and labor is more in germany then any of the asian countrys so its going to cost them more to make a comparable scope then something from japan or china. In my opinion if there ever was a scope that sold just because of the name the conquest is that scope. Dont get me wrong. there not a poor scope. Like I said there comparble to vx2s and i sure like vx2s. Just dont think your buying fine german optics for 400 bucks.
blue lives matter

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
Cost of material and labor is more in germany then any of the asian countrys so its going to cost them more to make a comparable scope then something from japan or china.

I totally agree.  Back in 2005, I had 2 BMWs, a 545i Sport ($65,000 MSRP loaded ), and a 645i Convertible ($92,000 MSRP with not so many options).  Were they good cars?  Well, they handled like they were on rails, especially the 545i Sport, but were they overpriced?  Well, I honestly think so, and most of of the reason why I say this is because they are built in Germany where wages are very expensive.  I believe that if these cars were built in Japan, then they would cost noticeably less.  So from a common sense standpoint, I believe that the same philosophy applies to Zeiss optics that are built in Germany.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
Zeiss Conquest is assembled in the USA.

I sold my VX2
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:22:42 AM »
where are you seeing the assembled in america at. I looked at there website and all over the internet and didnt find one statement saying there assembled here. I see there designed for the american market with one in tubes and reticles that dont change in size with magnification like most german optics but nothing about being made or assembled in the US.
blue lives matter

Offline Catfish

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:52:58 AM »
I don`t think you can do any better than Leupold for the price. I have 40 some of them. I have a few with the heavy duplex raticals that I have on short range guns, but most have fine duplex. If I were buying new now I would get eather a VX 11 or a VX 111 for you perpous, and I`m sure you can get fine duplex in eather.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
Well, it seemed like waiting for Ruger to build their new American rifle in 308Win was going to be more than I cared to endure so I bought a Brownig A-bolt II in this caliber, and while making changes I opted for the larger 4-12X40 VX R Leupold scope with the CDS elevation turret.  This scope is only a couple ounces heavier than the 2-7X36 size of the same model.  I put it in Burris Zee rings and bases but have yet to shoot it.  The scope has the best clarity I have seen in this size scope, but it should for the money paid for it.  I compared the VX R to the Nikon Monarch and the Nikon just didn't have the eye relief and also isn't available with the custom turret system that I was wanting.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:47 AM »
+1

Offline tangob5

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:23:35 AM »
The VX-R is a great scope.  I have a 2-7x33 Ballistic Firedot on my Sig Sauer M400.  I use it for coyote hunting and in very low light it still performs remarkably well.  Owning a number of VX-II's and VX-3's (12 total) this scope I would put right between the two as far as glass quality