Author Topic: USED P11  (Read 1838 times)

Offline WD45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
USED P11
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »
I was looking at a used p11 the other day that they want 200 $ for. I was kicking around buying it just to mess with for that price. I have no experience with any Kel-Tec product. I hear the triggers on the P11 are terrible. Are they bad enough that I should just spend an extra 50 and get a new PF9 ?  How do you P11 owners like them for a carry gun ?

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: USED P11
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »
the pf 9's trigger is better the p11 needs a trigger shoe and a little deburing .got rid of my pf 9 mag kept falling out replaced catch still no go. as far firing thy eat any thing i fed them. ;D

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:56:30 AM »
Thanks Rat. I see a lot of talk about the PF9 and all the pro's and Cons but just dont seem to hear near as much on the P11. I just wonder why.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:41:13 AM »
Some like the P11 simply for the extra carrying capacity, however that also makes the P11 heavier and more bulky thus harder to conceal and less comfortable to carry than the PF-9. Add the PF-9's better trigger and you have the reasons why most prefer the PF-9. They did have a few PF-9s that had problems with the mag release but I think they got it fixed because it's been quite a while since I've heard of anyone buying a new one and having said problem. Take any gun made and if you look hard enough you'll find someone who ran into a problem with it. But with Kel Tec, they have the best service department of anyone out there, bar none! I've owned mine for 3 years and it has performed flawlessly, as have both my son's and my grandson's PF-9s.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »
I have a couple of P-11s in the safe. Other than the trigger pull, I find little to fault them with. I like the PF9 better, so when I carry a 9mm, that's the one I carry. Better trigger and feel, I shoot it better than the P-11. I bought both of the P-11s used, shortly after they came on the market. I paid $180 for one and $200 for the other. Both are good reliable pistols. You could do worse that the P-11.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:22:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies, May make for a good truck gun if I dont like to carry it

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
I really liked my P11... had no issues at all with it, including not with the trigger, and it was a joy to carry SOB.   

Sold it with an extra clip and holster for more than I paid for all of them a few years before.   The gent liked it so much that when his wife took it away from him as hers he went out and bought another one for himself.

If I had even been looking for a 9 again I would have looked for another P11.   Know nothing about the PF9, but since I'm not looking for another 9...  ;)   
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline turk762

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:33:30 AM »
I have a P11, and yes the trigger is terrible, just something you have to get used to. I bought mine used for $225 and 3 mags. I have shot a couple hundred round through th and had no problems. A friend borrowed it and shot it a bunch and was pretty impressed with it.

Offline chubcobear

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:50:56 AM »
Larger handed persons may prefer the thicker grip that the P-11 provides.  I know that I prefer it over the narrower P9 model.  The trigger reminds me of a stiff double action revolver, but there is some comfort in that as it acts as the only safety the P-11 has.  P-11 is my daily CCW, front pocket, usually only loaded w/8 rounds for weight sake.  Good gun.
Big government - big mistake

Offline ratdog

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 02:50:30 AM »
i bought a p95 ruger that stove piped a lot got rid of that and got an sr9 nice gun. but traded it for a ruger sp101 357 small hand cannon.then bought a jeminez 380 shot real good then started miss firing took it back where i bought it thy sent it back to factory.firing pin was off center 5 weeks haven't got it back .i looked at bersa 380 a guy was selling after he told me all the new parts he put on it and only shot around 500 rounds that really turned me off to bersa. i am going to get a 380 keltec soon. my wife bought a phoenex arms hp 22 semi auto 22 that she has been shooting plus other family members they have shot 1600 rounds out of it no failures fun little gun about 150 out the door.i liked the keltec pf 9 tried all the fixes still would drop mag changed mags catches springs traded it off don't need a unreliable gun.i don't care what you buy or how much you pay there's always bad ones. i just make sure i get a gun with  warranty. ;D

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:11:39 AM »
Ratdog,
What a run of bad luck you've had with some decent guns! I referring to the P95 and the PF9. I bought a KP95DC for my wife back in the 80s at Sports Unlimited for $279. It was the only pistol she could work the slide on easily, mainly due to the wide slide with the two decocking levers for a good grip. She shot it quite a bit, but the majority of it's use was for an IDPA loaner. It had thousands of my lead reloads and Blazer Aluminum ammo thru it. Gave it to my son about 5 yrs ago, he shoots the crap out of it with whatever ammo he can find. It's rarely cleaned. I am unaware of a single malfunction of that pistol. Which is more than I can say for some of my Glocks/Sigs/Kimbers/Colts/Springfields/CZs. I don't like the P95 for my personal use, but gotta give the devil his due. I also have a PF9, (2) P11s,(2) P3ATs and a P32. All have been good guns, had a pin walking problem with the oldest P3AT, KT fixed it and hard chromed the slide for my trouble. One of the first things I noticed when I got the PF9 was that when you inserted the magazine, it hit the mag catch and required a good effort to seat the magazine fully. It made sense to me to depress the mag release button at that point so the mag could clear the catch without boogering up the plastic part. This is not a gun that will get much use in courses of fire that require an on the clock reload. So,there is no reason to slam the mag home. I think most, maybe all, of the mag catch problems with the PF9 could be prevented with just a little push on the mag button when inserting a magazine.
Hope the P3AT works out for you. They absolutely require proper cleaning and lubrication, a proper grip, and good ammunition to function properly. Some,(like my first one) required a couple hundred rounds of break in before it wanted to run. Just something to think about.
Good luck,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »
I have had and or have all of the KelTec  pistols.I like the PF9, but I have large meat hooks and the P11 fits me better.Kel Tec customer service is second to none.As to the trigger, I have had big name revolvers, that as of late are nothing to right home about, and there are fixes for the P11, that can be done by the owner.HTH   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
Had a P11 with Hard Chrome Slide that I sold a couple years ago. Recently been kicking myself for selling the P11 as I now know what can be done to the crappy trigger that always pinched my finger. At any rate I put over 1000 rounds through that P11 without issue. Yeah it had a few issues during the first couple hundred rounds but then I neglected it also in that I never cleaned it or lubed it for over a couple hundred rounds. Now that I know there are custom triggers available I would buy another one and am probably going to do so in the not to distant future.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »
my p11 has never stove piped or jammed. i have used several different  brands of ammo. the trigger has gotten a lot better with use and my daughter really likes to shoot it. the only problem i had with mine was the rear sight was loose fixed it with jb weld.i might try another pf 9 but i would have to shoot it first.my 380 it shoots great it sure it a light duty thing i carry it all the time you forget you have it in your pocket.i originally bought it for my wife but she couldn't work the slide so i got her a hp 22 that gun is areal shooter and accurate and cheap.my wife likes it i bought one for me too. i like little guns. :D