Author Topic: is an AO needed on a single power scope  (Read 798 times)

Offline spitpatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
is an AO needed on a single power scope
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance, does a single 12 power scope need an adjustable objective? I was under the impression that a single power scope had no paralax problems.
Quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: is an AO needed on a single power scope
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
If it's over 9X it sure is at least for me. Parallax has nothing to do with it being a variable or fixed power and for me any rifle scope over 9X must have some means to adjust parallax or it's useless. With a 3-9 variable I get by but mostly by not using it above 6X at close range. None I've owned in that power range work well at 25 yards unless they have a means to correct for parallax.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:11:53 AM »
everything I buy now must have AO.  I even have a fixed 4x with AO.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
 You won't need an AO if you're shooting at a range close to where a scope is set to be parallax free. Otherwise, you may need one. Especially for target shooting, where parallax error can open up your groups. Hunting? maybe, maybe not. Depends on how accurate your shot placement needs to be.

A majority of high quality scopes over 10x (both vaiable and fixed) and designed for target shooting have a parallax adjustment feature (either AO or side focus).

The lower a scope's magnification, the less parallax error it will have.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »
I agree with bill. Any scope over 10x needs a ajustable objective to focus it if its used out past about 300 yards
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:49:06 AM »
In short YES. Parallax in a scope is "set" at a certain distance in a NON AO scope. Shooting at different distances will produce different results.

The advantage will. become much more apparent at you get in to the higher magnification scopes as Bill and Lloyd describe. But no different in reality. it's like saying I "wiggle" more at higher powers... Of coarse you don't, it's just the movement is more apparent.

But as Victor3 mentions if all you ever shoot at is 1-200 yards the difference a AO will make is minimal.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
  OK, I'm not very familiar with paralax, but now understand what it is....thanks guys. Please just one more question.

I was planning to put a 10X Bushnell 3200 Elite tactical on top of my 30-06 (I just got) for long range shooting 500 yds. plus. I have one (factory) on my barrett 50 and was making head shots easily at 800 yds.

Does this scope have paralax issues? I could see the torso target well at that range and was flat clocking it. Any advise before I commit to buying this scope? I really don't want/need a super high power scope, the simpler the better. Your thoughts?

Just getting into long range shooting (not for competition) and trying to get some optics on this gun but don't want to mortgage the farm for a scope. Just a bunch of us hillbillies out having fun......at long range.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »
  AO is also a handy "range finder", if you don't have one with you...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »

Really? I've never owned an AO scope before and never shot past 200 yds. until this year. I have a good range finder

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »

Really? I've never owned an AO scope before and never shot past 200 yds. until this year. I have a good range finder
You simply dial the front till it is clear around the target and then look at the AO and see where it is.  Ta DAH.  Range finder.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
Not fermilular with the 10x Tactile. But I am with others in the 3200 line. It's a good scope, I would put it just above average.

I noticed a 12x Leupold in the classifieds.

I have owned a couple 3200's and sold them. No problems, just did not like as much as Leupolds. Leupolds are more costly, so I look for used...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
  saw that 12X leo.....think it's sold. to slow on the draw.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
  I was planning to put a 10X Bushnell 3200 Elite tactical on top of my 30-06 (I just got) for long range shooting 500 yds. plus. I have one (factory) on my barrett 50 and was making head shots easily at 800 yds.

Does this scope have paralax issues? I could see the torso target well at that range and was flat clocking it. Any advise before I commit to buying this scope? I really don't want/need a super high power scope, the simpler the better. Your thoughts?

Just getting into long range shooting (not for competition) and trying to get some optics on this gun but don't want to mortgage the farm for a scope. Just a bunch of us hillbillies out having fun......at long range.

All rifle scopes (except for 1x ones), due to the way they're designed, will exhibit some measure of parallax error under most conditions. All we can do is minimize it to an acceptable level for whatever type of shooting we're doing. If you're shooting off a bench/mechanical rest/bags and the stock on your particular rifle (and your ability) allows you to line your eyeball up with the C/L of your scope exactly the same shot-to-shot, parallax will not be an issue at any range or magnification. That's not really practical though, and the reason for mechanical adjustments to help dial out parallax.

However, if you're just wanting to hit a man-size target at 500 yds with a 30-06, the 3200 you're looking at should be fine. Price is right and turrets are a big plus for easy adjustments when you're shooting out that far in changing conditions and/or using different loads.

One thing though - If you buy a 10x and then later try a 20x on a 500 yd target, you'll probably wish you'd gone with the higher mag. If you take a liking to long range HP rifle shooting, you're most likely gonna want to hit smaller and smaller targets, further and further out. Believe me, big ones at short range will become boring in short order.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
   Victor3.....thats a very good point. I did remember the 500 yd. targets getting boring so we moved them to 800. Thanks for the insight.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
Most of the scopes that I have that are over 10x have an AO.  Interestingly enough, I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x-22x-56mm that does NOT have an AO.  At 22x, I would have assumed that it would have an AO, but it doesn't.

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
   Looks like the leo 12X  on the optics board is still available. Sent a PM. Going to sell some calves tomarrow morning and pick it up if it's still there. The barn lot is a slime pit from the rain but I think I can get in and out.

Didn't want to commit until I had cash in hand. Thanks a bunch for all your input. I think the Leo 12X with AO will be a much better choice than the 10X Bush Elite 3200. You guys helped me to make a better/informed choice....and I'm much obliged.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
Some of my scopes have AO and some do not.  All are Leupold.  About five each way.  I've never missed the feature when using one without it.  I wouldn't turn it down but in the field, its never been a problem.  Shooting paper, it could be.