Author Topic: Lubing cases?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Lubing cases?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:04 AM »
I also use one shot. Seems strange to read about those that use and like it and nobody jumps in complaining about it. That stuff works great but did notice when you get to the very bottom of the can it seems there is still stuff in the can but the lube is all gone first. Like quick said you need to go by the directions.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 07:23:49 AM »
you guys that like imperial should know that its nothing but anhydrous lanolin.

:o   No kidding!?  :o

I have a bottle of lanolin but I think it is a liquid.  Can I thicken it up with some beeswax and have something comperable to ISW?  ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 02:35:20 AM »
Another fan of Imperial here. I also tried Slick 50 with fabulous results. I tried a few drops on my lube pad one day and was quite impressed
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Landngroove

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
I have been using Lee Lube for years. I always clean my dies when finished. I also lightly oil a patch and run it thru the die, because I may not use that die again, for a while. When I go to re-use the dies, I run a dry patch thru to absorb any traces of oil. My dies don't rust.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »
hornady one shot , i spay them at a 45 in reloading block then turn it 180 and spray again,works perfect every time.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
one shot works find of  light reloading tasks but if you running brass through a small base die, necking brass up  or down, doing any wildcat work like changing one type of  brass to another or even is some cases using larger magnum brass you eventually are going to get a stuck case with one shot. I dont really see much of an advantage to it. It still, for me anyway, needs to be removed from the cases after sizing and removing it isnt anymore work then removing lanolin or imperial or other lube that actuallys lubes better. About the only time i use oneshot anymore is if im fooling around with load deveolpement and want to load 5 or 10 shells and just wipe them off with a rag, shoot them and load them back up.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 02:17:00 AM »
I use RCBS and apply with my fingers , after sizing wipe cases with a damp paper towel. OR i use Lyman spray  and after sizing wipe the cases with a damp paper towel. If I get cases sticking on the expander I take a wee bit of RCBS lube and spread it on my finger tip and scrape the case mouth across it. One case like this seems to be all that's needed to size a couple hundred cases. I don't get rust on dies , I have never had a round not fire because of contaminated power or bad primer. I did this back when I was shooting 10-15 thousand rounds a year.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »
Great discussion!  I like to wipe my cases after sizing if I'm not doing a bulk batch and find the lanolin based stuff takes more effort.  Right now I have a can of One Shot on my bench, but you gotta be careful because I have stuck a few when I didn't put it on thick enough.  The stuff is relatively expensive though.  Another brand that I have used that seems to go farther and is slightly cheaper is Lyman spray.  Too much of that will dent shoulders so you have to be careful with it too.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
"you guys that like imperial should know that its nothing but anhydrous lanolin."

Actually it really is a softened wax, just as the name says; lanolin is a thick animal oil.

Water soluable lubes are soaps with just enough water added to make it soft.  The trace of water the lube leaves in a sizer normally evaporates fairly quickly and after it dries there is no abnormal rust hazard remaining from the residue.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »
I also like the Lee paste product that comes in a tube.  I squirt a dab on top of my hand and any I don't use I force back into the tube and reseal.  Works for me.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »
lee is a lanolin based lube too and is a good lube.
I also like the Lee paste product that comes in a tube.  I squirt a dab on top of my hand and any I don't use I force back into the tube and reseal.  Works for me.
blue lives matter