Author Topic: Best Pocket Pistols  (Read 14429 times)

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Best Pocket Pistols
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »
Folks,

Wondering what y'all thought was the best pocket pistol.  Looking at Ruger, Kel-Tec and Diamondback products in 9mm but open to other options.  Don't have much experience with this type of pistol so any advice would be appreciated. 

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: Best Pocket Pistols
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
I prefer a revolver over a pistol because of better reliability and simplicity when my life might be on the line. I carry a Ruger  38 SPL LCR with Crimson Trace grips and have total confidence in it. You have to build up confidence by shooting many practice rounds.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
No experience with the Diamondback, I have shot the LC9, and own the PF9. I think the LC9 is a good pistol, I like it about as much as my PF9. It's a good copy. Knowing what I know about the two, I'd pick the PF9 because of the price if nothing else. I find them both too big for my pockets, but the P3AT fills that role nicely.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
LCR in 357

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
I carry a S&W 642. Small, rated for +p 38 special.
Sorry, no experience with the models mentioned.

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »
LCR!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »
My two favorite pocket pistols..... are the .380 Ruger LCP with a CT trigger guard LS and a Kahr PM9 also with a CT trigger guard LS.

I carry one or the other almost all the time, sometimes even as a BUG. That Ruger LCP really shoots well and has more miles clocked on it, on body, than all my other handguns combined. ;D

If it's not with you when you need it, it's useless. If the darn thing is to big or to heavy or to uncomfortable, you will leave it in the car or at home. You know you will...  ::)

PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline tonygrz

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »
LCR or S&W 642
Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
The actuality of all of this is comfort.
Comfort can be described many ways.
Something  can be comfortable because you are used to it, have confidence in it.
I stick whatever I carry in my pants--I am comfortable with this and have confidence this way.
You need to find what suits you and your way of thinking.
BTW---I don't like pocket carry although I have done it that way.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »
I bet my life on a Smith model 60 in 38spl. I can shoot with enough accuracy to feel safe in the "big city". The big city has about 25 or 30 thousand inmates.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »

Like someone already said, if it's too big, you won't carry it all the time, right!  I have carried a NAA22mag, questionably, lo end of power but probably better than a 32 auto., 25 auto, bad choice for self defence, 380 P3AT, a little better than a 22mag. maybe,  PM9 Kahr 9mm, my smallest acceptable round, Kahr is small enough to carry comfortable waist band or pocket carry.
  I have no desire to be shot with ANYTHING so I'm not saying any of the previously mentioned are not able to eliminate a problem, I just have a lower limit and all but the 9mm are what I consider to be lower limit carrys.

JMO
  HM

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »
What is a Pocket pistol for some is a Novelty pistol for other.
While it no longer is in the Pocket pistol class the Colt 1903 or the 1908 pistols are great.
Looks like Kimber took that idea and updated it in 9mm. 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:52:21 AM »
LCR or S&W 642

my kids all carry 642

prior to the lcr  i carried  640......[357]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 04:08:33 AM »
J-frame S&W , 340PD or mod 38 airweight.
Why - the 340PD is a 357mag. it weighs 12 oz ( mine has very thin after market grips , less than factory so it may weigh less) plus ammo. It is comfortable in a front pocket and can be carried there year round. It has a hammerless drsign so no trash gets in from the hammer opening. If a round fails to fire a pull of the trigger places another round in place and fires it. In the pocket the cyl. holdds the pocket open enough that the hand slides into position to grip and draw the gun ( no auto loader I have tried does this and seems after drawing one must adjust the grip). It has no safety that must be placed on fire to use the gun , no mag to become lose from getting released in the pocket. The choice of ammo does not affect the reliablity of the gun as far as working as long as it is reliable ammo to start with.
It draws easy from a pocket holster.
The mod 38 Body Guard is for hunting and fishing trips now and on occasion personal protection ( it weighs 13-14 ozs heavy weight  ;D ). it allows for single action shooting like hitting snakes etc. with well aimed shots .
most important they both shoot at least a 38 spl round . Which is about as small as I care to go.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline sc1911cwp

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
S&W 442. Inexpensive, well made, lifetime warrenty.  ;D
Granddaddy told me Lincoln was a Republican and look what he did to the South.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
anybody have any experience with the diamond back brand mentioned at the top of this post? i had never heard of them till this weekend when i was looking at some small guns at a gun show.

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »
Sig P238, not exactly a pocket gun but easy to carry.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Concho Mike

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »
I've found a true pocket pistol for me is an NAA mini 22mag.
Nothing else fits.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
I know some will claim a revolver is the king of reliablility and i do love revolvers but for most of my ccw work anymore the nod goes to semi autos. Mostly 1911s for a big gun and a ruger lcp for pocket carry. Ive got two of them with crimsom trace lazers on them and ive shot them alot and dont ever remember either of them jamming or choking even once. there flatter then a revolver so they print less. there suprising accurate. I once showed my buddy when i shot a 2 inch group at 25 yards with one of mine. Granted that was with the lazer. No way i could do it with the crude sights on them. there also faster to reload then a pocket revolver and a clip is flat too so you can stick a spare in your other pocket.

Weve done some expansion and penetration testing on 380 ammo to compare it to 38 special and if you stick with good ammo like gold dots or hornady xtp it does just as well as 38 specials. One more thing ill add is i also have a 25acp beretta. I know the 25 is bashed constatly as being way to underpowered but ive shot gold dot hps through 1/2 plywood and if it penetrates that its surely going to go though your chest. that gun too is amazingly accurate and very reliable. I havent carried it since i bought the two lcps but wouldnt hesitate in a second to walk out of the house with it in my pocket again.

If im going out in situation that i would have reservations about carrying a gun as small as a 25 or 380 im going to have a 1911 on my hip. Sorry fans of the lightweight scandium 357s. Out of that 2 inch barrel you probably  still dont have the stopping power of a 45 acp out of a 1911 and after cranking one round out of those little cannons your going to be deaf and probably bleading yourself. Good luck with a double tap! Im sure some can handle it with alot of practice but for the average guy or the guy who is so inexperienced he has to ask its a poor choice. Id bet about 90 percent of those who carry them have them loaded with 38s. Bottom line is i have my preferences but id bet theres still more 38 special revolvers carried in pockets in this country then all the other choises combined. Why? because they work.
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 01:18:37 AM »
TO ME! Revolvers require a holster. They move around to much.
As I said--I don't have to pocket carry anymore--so--I don't.
I carry any sized flat, semi in the waist without a holster--even to church--in the summer---in the winter--with a T--I don't do this when I wear a speedo and go swimmin  ;) .
God, I can't even--and don't want too--emagin me in a speedo  :o .
I can wear the 3 inch western style gun belt and holster in the summer witha windbreaker--most any dress in thewinter.
To get up and go--it is a semi in the waist.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 02:34:42 AM »
I've got my great grandsomething's pocket pistol from 1897 - I&J Safety Hammerless in .38S&W. I'd carry it today most places I go. A pocket pistol is for polite company; a concealed carry pistol is for less polite company.

You might also look at the Bersa .380 clone of a Walther. I found it to be very accurate, very manageable, nice and flat, especially with an uncle mikes pocket holster - slides right into jeans pocket. And with an optional mag extension, you can carry a little extra with not much more signature. And quality .380 ammo ain't gonna bounce off anyone.
held fast

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:19 AM »
 concerns , will it fit in a pocket ? will it weigh to much draging pants down? is it easy to get your hand on it in a fireing grip ? WILL IT S T O P and attacker ? Does it require you to cock or wipe a safety off , if so how much time will it take ?
Consider these whith the idea you might have as little as a couple seconds to draw and fire .
 So is the gun small and prone to fumble or large and cumbersome ? Is it arkward or feel like it was made for you ? Will it attract lint and trash into the action ? I tried a PPKs and it would fill with lint and trash in about two weeks needing cleanning. A body guard would make it about 3 weeks before needing cleanning. If you don't use a pocket holster does the muzzle collect lint and trash ? Will the holster you select collect trash preventing a good smooth fast draw ?

The PPKs jammed , that's how I found the trash in the action, The body guard got grit around the hammer and you could not fire it double action . The finish is worn off several guns from the grit and trash thatcollects in the holster - some of the metal is worn off in the alun frame of one gun.
 A conceled hammer revolver has been the best option I have found that takes the abuse of pocket carry and still functions.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:57 AM »
all good points shootall and ill add you need to be dang certain youve got nothing else in that pocket. I once pulled my smith j frame out of my pocket and it had a dime jammed between the cylinder and the frame. No way it would have shot like that. Dont know how that dime got in my pocket but it did. Anymore if im going to put a gun in my pocket i got in the habbit of first turning that pocket inside out and making darned sure theres no dirt lint or other objects in there.
blue lives matter

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
I like the S&W 380 Bodyguard. Double action, comes with a lazer sight, small enough for a pocket, carries enough ammo to at least put up a fight. Feels good in the hand (mine) and is plenty accurate. As far as lint or crap from your pocket jammin the works, blow on it or wipe the sucker off when you take it out of your pocket, waistband, or where ever. Personally I check it over pretty well every time I put it in my pocket....

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
My preference for small is the Sig P230 with Federal HP ammo.  nicely concealed in the small of the back, in a suede like holster, under a jacket.  long double action trigger pull and no manual safety to fuss with when things turn sour...  If I anticipated the need for more power I would opt for my Colt 45ACP Double Eagle but that is clearly not within the scope of pocket pistol.
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
Best IMO is the Colt Mustang .380 or Sigs replica the 238.  My buddy bought one and we've run hundreds of .380's of varying configurations with zero issues.  Feels good, solid steel and wood, no junk.  ;)  Hoping more of the re-introduced Colt Mustangs start being in stock soon, I'm holding out for a real colt on this one if I don't get too sad waiting.  hehe

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/72968/Handguns/SIG+Sauer/SIG%20238380SFI2%20238%20380%20USMC%20BLK%20NOKNF/
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 03:36:02 AM »
Best for who?   What's your budget?  How big are your hands?  Are you sensitive to heavy recoil?  What is your style of dress (i.e; tailored suits, baggy jeans or something in between).   How much time will you devote to practicing with it?   The question is too open ended,  It's like asking who would be the best spouse or what's the best food.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 03:55:04 AM »
well if it won't fit in the smallest pocket you own it is not a good choice  ;D

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 05:19:30 AM »
My most pocketable is a LC9.  Always keeping my eyes open for others tho. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 07:25:01 AM »
Blue Duck check out a S&W 340 PD .