Author Topic: Best Pocket Pistols  (Read 14433 times)

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Best Pocket Pistols
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
Best for who?   What's your budget?  How big are your hands?  Are you sensitive to heavy recoil?  What is your style of dress (i.e; tailored suits, baggy jeans or something in between).   How much time will you devote to practicing with it?   The question is too open ended,  It's like asking who would be the best spouse or what's the best food.

You are right, so basically the OP wants others opinions so he can form his own.  Perhaps he hasn't had a lot of opportunity to shoot small pistols.  Just give your 2cp like the rest and it's not too open ended.  ;) 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
my way of thinking is about the opposite of bretts. this is not a target or hunting gun. Its not like you have to be able to shoot it well off hand at 50yards. Its a point and shoot gun for ranges in most cases that are within arms reach. About any gun will work. For a pocket gun consealabilty and reliablility are the most important critieria they mean much more to me then how it fits my hand or how they operate. You can become compedent enough with any action or size if you practice with the gun.

Both autos and revolvers are plenty accurate, there both made small enough to conseal well and are both reliable if you know how they operate and what to watch for. It matters so little which style and caliber you choose that if i could only have one pocket gun and i was looking at used guns id pick the highest quality gun i found of any size or caliber. Id rather have a sig 380 then a rossi 357. and id rather have a smith 357 then a tarrus 380.

I like my cdps. to be honest i was skeptical about them at first. I didnt put much faith in a 300 dollar ccw gun but after a few thousand rounds they grew on me and ive found them very reliable. So much so i bought one for my wife now too. So that makes three of them. I fit hers with a lazer grip too. She does ok with it. They do have a heavy trigger pull that prevents someone like her from doing any precission work but for what there really for she does fine with it. I wouldnt want to be standing 5 yards away from her! Another nice thing about them is like a revolver theres no saftey. Just point and pull the trigger. She really likes it. She had my j frame  before. What she likes more then anything is how much easier it is to reload which in all honesty isnt even a factor for her. She isnt going to have the presents of mind to reload in a bad situation anyway. Cool thing is i got my j frame back. It used to be my main carry gun and will rotate with the cdp now.
Best for who?   What's your budget?  How big are your hands?  Are you sensitive to heavy recoil?  What is your style of dress (i.e; tailored suits, baggy jeans or something in between).   How much time will you devote to practicing with it?   The question is too open ended,  It's like asking who would be the best spouse or what's the best food.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 05:24:38 AM »
One aspect of a self defense gun not mentioned often(enough) is how it will handle blow back when fired into an attacker at contact distance. Many people get attacked and are being held as the first sign of the attack. In this situation the shot will be at contact distance , muzzle touching attacker. When the bullet enters the bad guy all sorts of crud will erupt from the wound often covering the gun and shooting hand , in some cases depending on location of entry wound it could cover shooters body or face. Gross doesn't begin to describe what it could look like. Will your choice of weapon still function when coated with blood , flesh,bone and other body parts in the action ? Revolvers might have an advantage here but only a little.Another aspect is some auto loaders when the muzzle is pressed into the attacker it knocks the slide back and gun out of battery. Try figguering that out while getting choked. Revolvers have a definate advantage here. The revolver on the other hand can be tied up if the attacker can get a grip on the cyl. A slide can be pushed back with a flat hand .
Better to have a reliable weapon for real world attacks and learn to use it more so than a custom fitted target pistol IMHO .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 05:42:17 AM »
My choice a Smith-Wesson 442-1 revolver in .38 Special using Speer Gold Dot hollow points for dress clothes concealed carry.   Out on the Farm I carry either a 9 m/m auto with a 15 shot magazine or a .45 m/m auto with a 12 shot magazine.   My truck gun is a 9 m/m auto.
The 9 m/m's are Star Starfire models, the .45 Auto a Star Megstar,  I use Speer Gold Dot hollow points in the 9 m/m and Winchester full metal jackets in the .45.  These loads are plenty powerful enough for Coyotes and wild dogs and other varmints.
I'm likely to get longer shots out on the farm than when in dress clothes that's when I like the full sized more powerful guns there. If you put 5 .38 special plus P's in a attacker and it does not stop them, it is time to turn tail and run, but I don't believe that this will happen.

U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 04:01:40 PM »
My pick is a S&W 642 like the wifes or the taurus CIA in 357.
The reason I like these hammerless models is because you can shoot them while they are still in your pocket.
With a loose zip up hood you can leave it unzipped and have your hand on your gun in the pocket and be able to push it forward away from your body to fire it while still in your pocket.
It beats walking through a parking lot at night with a pistol in your hand out in the open ;)

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »
 I've been carrying J-frames in one model or another for 30 years.  Just got a LC-9, if it proves worthy, I may use it, the added firepower MIGHT come in handy at some point.  Guess I can carry both.....

Offline Batchief909

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT, a Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm, and just picked up a Colt Pony Pocketlite in .380. (Traded an old 14' fishing boat for the Colt which has had 6 rounds thru it. Was aking $400 for the boat)  ;D   

Offline sc1911cwp

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
S&W 442. Simplicity, reliability, affordable, effective short range gun. 8)
Granddaddy told me Lincoln was a Republican and look what he did to the South.

Offline Peshtigo71

• bountyhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »
   Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special.  Plenty of bullet, reliable and easy enough to carry. There are plenty of others out there depending on personal preference but this works for me.   
Among all the people were 700 chosen left-handed
men; every one could sling a stone at a hair's breadth and not miss.  Judges 20:16

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
Folks,

Wondering what y'all thought was the best pocket pistol.  Looking at Ruger, Kel-Tec and Diamondback products in 9mm but open to other options.  Don't have much experience with this type of pistol so any advice would be appreciated. 

Blessings!

Shootnstr8

Take a look at the Sig P238. I love mine and it shoots great. One of the best "pocket pistols" out there in my opinion. A pocket pistol to me is a gun I can conceal very easily, and still not feel undergunned.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Autoloaders only for me, once I leave the house.  Test--try reloading a S&W J frame while driving at night at speed on side streets.  You may find as I did that with the proper planning, you can carry an HK P7 as comfortably as a Chief's Special.  For pockets only, there are a number of good autoloaders these days, from Beretta to Kel-Tec to Ruger. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 01:49:55 AM »
Blackhawk 44 , that's why you should have a truck gun  ;) . Say a J frame in the pocket and maybe a Glock on the seat  ;D . Then if you have to roll out you still have a weapon on you. Belt and suspenders for sure but you won't get caught with your pants down.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 02:14:01 AM »
Blackhawk 44 , that's why you should have a truck gun  ;) . Say a J frame in the pocket and maybe a Glock on the seat  ;D . Then if you have to roll out you still have a weapon on you. Belt and suspenders for sure but you won't get caught with your pants down.

I could not agree more with this.. I use my pocket pistol to get to my larger gun..  ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 02:22:54 AM »
The Walther PPK is the MOST time tested design. I have 3 of them, one for each jacket. A 380 FMJ will penetrate 18 inches of ballistic medium. I also have a Blackhawk in 45 caliber in the truck.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:07 AM »
I had a PPKs it would collect grit and lint which made it jam on occasion. So I switched to a revolver, it still collects grit and lint but the way the trigger works I can over come the resistance and fire the gun. I don't know how many inches the 357 mag can penetrate though but if close enough it would set the target on fire.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 03:43:43 AM »
Dirt and grit is not an inherent PPK problem. It is a user problem. A pocket holster for all pocket pistols is very important to some.

Cheese

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »
Dirt and grit is not an inherent PPK problem. It is a user problem. A pocket holster for all pocket pistols is very important to some.

Cheese

I agree 100% , I didn't cut the gun down as it is as you say proven over time . But anyone who carries a weapon needs to address the conditions they will be using the gun in and pick what will work. I also tote mine in a pocket holster and the finish is worn off from grit getting in between it and the gun. And yes I clean it often . Construction can be a harsh place to work.

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 01:33:45 AM »
ALthough I usually carry something bigger, during summer months in a suit pocket, my LCP has been utterly reliable, and so easy to carry that I have to remember its there when I take my pants off in the evening. In a pocket holster, it is always there and completely concealed. That said, I would not hesitate to carry aLCR or similar lightweight revolver if I could conceal it totally in my pocket. Many ggod choices out there

Offline tt4617

• Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 05:38:34 AM »
LC9 fits my needs and my hand with the mag extension. Doesn't print in my pants pocket with a pocket holster and I feel totally comfortable with it's reliability so far.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »
Welll, HUMMMM !
My old (1975 minus 2012= 37 years) just proved its worth again today with my daughter shooting it. It has not been cleaned in a year and carried on various occasions and out of my pocket it popped 7 times---shooting the lint out with the slug & a hollowpoints, at that.
The danged ol thangs are dadgone near indestructable.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bobthenailer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 02:22:37 AM »
After having a CCW permit for 43 years and carring a multited of different  handguns I would have to go with a Kahr in 380 or a CM9 you can get the PM9 but in use theres no pratical shooting difference between the them  and you save about $200.00 over the CM9 .

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 10:04:46 AM »
is there really a best?

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »
AS far as semiautos go, hands down Walther PPK. Ask any undercover cop.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2012, 01:32:42 AM »
Rex:  love it. 
Cheesehead - thank you.
My old Beretta M70 finally started breaking down and told me it was time to go.  My thoughts on replacements were the Beretta M85, The Walther Pk380, the PPK/S and the Sig P232.  The choice is now down to one of the Walthers.  I like the PK380 (way too much fun as with the P22) and the PPK/S but it just depends on which feels better in my hand.  I would really like a new PP but they aren't sold here by Walther America (S&W).
And as for power - a +P snubnose 38 gives you about the same as a snubnose 357 - that extra few feet per second is not going to matter one whit, actually.  And the same goes for the 380/9mm arguement - a 9mm from a short barrelled semi is not going to give you so much more than a 380 from the same size piece to merit the blast and recoil; and cheese, thank you for the analysis on the 380 fmj slugs - that is my point as well. 
And please let me ask any of our members if anyone knows personally of a situation where he or she has put two 38 slugs or 2 or 3 380 slugs into center mass and had the recipient walk away....... 
It seems as though everyone hypes these 'kill'm with the first shot' slugs when practice and a disciplined hand will suffice with plain jane rn or ball.  I think it is Gunsite where they advise not to place all your shots into one specific area but to spread them out to cause more damage - dunno 'bout you guys but I would prefer all my shots going into one specific area to create as much trauma/damage as possible.  Non-fatal, non-debilitating woulds are just that - neither fatal or debilitating ....

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2012, 03:05:57 AM »
You do not have to cut an attacker in half, to make them move to "Plan B"....

Cheese

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
My favorite carry is a P3AT because it weighs about 13 oz., and therefore it is always with me, and if it is not, then my PF9 is.  They always work.  BUT!  I HATE those DAO triggers.  I would rather have a 20 oz. single action (semiauto) 9mm, or 15 oz. single action (semiauto) .380.   Where would I find one?

I have one of those cute .32 acp Llama 1911 look-alikes complete with grip safety but it's all steel and weighs near two pounds.  I have some S&W model tens & a 12 but find they feel like a lead baloon in my pocket.

Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
Most often carried in my pocket is a Kel-Tec P-32.  At 6.6oz empty, you don't know it is there.  In a pocket holster, it is invisible but available.  I carry several others including 38 sp, 9mm or 44 sp and then the P-32 becomes my BUG.

oldhunter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:40 AM »
Some folks must have very large pockets  ;D  the op said pocket pistol . I offered pocket revolver which could be said to stray from the op.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:35 AM »
that reminds me of a chuckle. I just got a 26 glock and they sell pocket holster for it. About like trying to hide an elephant in a pup tent.  ???
Some folks must have very large pockets  ;D  the op said pocket pistol . I offered pocket revolver which could be said to stray from the op.
blue lives matter

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
I have been carrying concealed habd guns for over 35 years and in that time have found that I prefer a good hip holster and a decent sized hand gun when I can effectively conceal it.  This amount to about 9 months out 12 where I live so it tend to carry guns like a 1911 officers model or a Witness conpact 9mm most of the time.  During the 4 months a year when a holster gun is difficult to conceal I generally carry something like a Ruger SR9c in the waistband of my pants.  When really dressed lightly I carry a Taurus TCP 380 or a Berretta Tomcat 32 generally in a pocket holster in a front pocket.