Author Topic: 22 Hornet 1-9 twist  (Read 514 times)

Offline nframe

• Trade Count: (0)
22 Hornet 1-9 twist
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
I brought in an NW ser no handi  (2006) today.  The cleaning rod says 1/9 twist.  Ejector barrel marked with last three of ser no.  I proceeded to load 20 rds with Lil' gun and 60 gr Nosler Partitions.  I could only shoot at 25 yds today and did'nt have much time.  The bullets stabilized ok.  The trigger pull was atrocious.  The scope that was on it has no eye relief it seems (chinese Tasco 3-9).  The groups seemed to get better the more rounds I fired.  The last 4 made 2 enlarged holes about 1/2 " apart.  I tried 2-3 over the PACT chrony but it apparently couldn't see them with the lighting I had.  The primers (WSP's) were flat but ejection was fine.  It crosses my mind that these would work well  for smaller deer in populated areas or hogs even.  Iwant to get a velocity read first and then some 100yd groups.  70 gr speers might be worth a shot too.  Varmint grenades are next though.  Anybody else try heavies in the 1-9?

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: 22 Hornet 1-9 twist
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
65 gr is the heaviest I have tried in my 1-9. These were over a light load of Trail boss in a sub sonic effort for quiet rodent control. They didn't tumble..... thejanitor

Offline nframe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
36gr varmint grenades do in fact GRENADE.  sHOOT EDIBLE GAME IN THE HEAD.  70 GR SPEERS will stabilize in 1-9.  Still working on best load.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »
I think you may have trouble getting enough velocity in that little bitty case for the 60s, though they will have a considerable amount of thwack compared to the smaller stuff. A faster powder will get you velo, with pressure rise and its issues, so dont try for too much velo without being careful about the 'signs'. This is one of the reasons I finally got rid of my Hornets, I could load a .223 to any reasonable level of performance if I really wanted/needed a CF .22 cal. I used 60gr. cast bullets for that thwack, but I wasnt trying for HV, and they were touchy for consistency. I concluded that the old 45gr. was the Hornet 'standard' for good reason.
Anyway, give it a go!......half the fun is finding out what works for you  ;D .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974