Author Topic: It's about time!  (Read 741 times)

Offline rosankyharleyman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
It's about time!
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
I would like to start out by saying what a great website this is and especially want to say Thanks to all who have shared information on the NEF rifles.  I am not a big responder to the posts but love to read and have learned alot.  I have a NEF 243 that shot really bad.  I polished the barrel, trimmed the forend and put some washers under the pillar bolt.  I do my own reloading and after a lot of experimenting put 3 shots inside a nickel at a 100 yds.  Man was I surprised and pleased.  I tried neck sizing and found out this rifle likes full length resizing.  It must have a shallow throat because if I back the die off a quarter of a turn it is hard to close the rifle and shoots bad like all over the target. The load I found out that worked the best was 40 gr. of Imr 4350 with a 100 gr Sierra spitzer boattail and CCI primer.  I was using Federal primers because I have an abundance of them I bought back when you could not find reloading supplies.  I was shooting pretty fair but tried CCI and dropped 3 inside a nickel.  I am almost scared to go and shoot again but I will.  I live in the country and am lucky to have a 100 and 200 yd target right outside my house.  I was shooting last night after dark with my truck headlights shining on the target and a clamp on light at my shooting bench.  After those 3 shots I stopped and called my shooting buddy.  Rained today so I did a bunch of reloading.  Thanks again to everyone and hail to the single shot rifle.......And by the way I cant get  my high dollar Thompson to shoot that good......

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
Re: It's about time!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »
congrats on the load. i too am grateful to all the info ive recieved from this sight and dealing with all the friendly people from all over the country who chime in to help those they dont even know. sadly, so many in the gun world nowadays are know it alls that dont know anything and give most a bad reputation because of the way they present them selves to those who arent sure about guns. this generally turns them against em. i think weve all run into these folks at about every gunshow weve ever been too.sorry bout the rant. i too reload for everything i own and sometimes its hard to get that perfect load but thats what makes it fun. ive found myself  going shooting just to have something to load afterwards.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 05:25:32 AM »
Glad you have enjoyed the forum!  I love to scroll down and read what is happening.  And the best thing for you is finding how good your gun can shoot with just a little attention.  Thanks for sharing that, we all enjoy everyone's stories.  And it helps to know that all the information here works also!  Enjoy that .243!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
Whatever you do DON'T get bored today and clean the gun ;D ;)

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »
Nice going. I have had at least four 243 Handi rifles and they all had very long throats. Since I use Barnes TSX bullets that like a little head start, this has not been a problem.

Offline rosankyharleyman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  I guess it is about time to clean the barrel, I am not real good at cleaning rifles.  I cleaned them so much in the Army I kinda got burned out on cleaning.  That was 40 something years ago and the feeling is starting to wear off..  Thanks again and I too have a 44 barrel plus 270 and 280.  Thinking about making the 280 a shorty.  Anyone else have a handi as well as a TC?  If so how would you compare the two?

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »
you clean that barrel, i can betcha it will not perform tha same until it getsa lil' nasty 8)
so don't go ajust'n tha glass until ya know fer shur.............. ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:59 AM »
Yup, I think you may have taken the comment about cleaning the barrel wrong!  Don't!  Most Handi's shoot their best after having a couple of boxes of shells down the barrel.  If you clean it, it's likely to not shoot as good until you 'condition' the barrel again.  So if it's not real cruddy, leave it alone as long as you can.  This seems backwards to the way we are used to treating our guns, but trust us, it will shoot the best this way.  (and no oil on the latch shelf!)  44 Man

Offline rosankyharleyman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:07:13 AM »
Yes I did, Thanks for info on cleaning, sounds like my kinda rifle.  Wonder why that is?

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »
Match Grade barrels are just that way, lazy mans rifle/Handier ;D

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:47:22 PM »
Thats a good question!  I can't give you an answer but I do know that the people who clean their gun after every shooting session, can't seem to get it to 'settle in' and group well.  So if your gun is shooting well, just keep shooting it and enjoy it.  (this drives the guys who like to keep their guns 'super clean', nuts)  44 Man