Author Topic: Model 1900 restoration  (Read 901 times)

Offline MarksmanTim

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 1900 restoration
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »
Hey guys. I thought I would make a seperate thread for the restoration, so that everything would be more clear. I am making this thread to show off the gun, but also for others to use as a guide to help them with their project.

The pictures are taken with a cell phone, so their not the greatest quality, but they get the point across.

The weapon was rusty on the outside, but the bore and internals were very clean. All movable parts seemed to be pretty tight with the exception of the take down pin, which has a little bit of play. The point is that the gun was worthy of putting some time into it. This is something all should consider when thinking about restoring an old gun. 

I completely dissambled the firearm down to each individual component. All internal parts were soaked in kerosene to soften the old oil/grease. I then cleaned/oil all parts. The trigger, hammer, trigger guard, and breech lever were polished and degreased in preparation for cold bluing. Next came the frame and barrel. I started with 120 grit sandpaper and worked my way up to 600 grit. I then used 000 fine steel wool over everything. Finally I degreased the parts with acetone.

This next step will vary depending on what you have available. My situation is a bit unique. I have access to a commercial pizza oven in my fathers kitchen. It always has a pilot lit, which keeps the stones and interior temperature around 85F. I stick all the parts to be blued inside and let the metal thoroughly warm up. This insures any moisture is dried up and the pores of the metal open up, which results in a better/deeper bluing. - I have blued a barrel without warming up first and the results were not as good! For this project, each piece was coated 3 times. For this project anything more than 4 times would have been a waste. The third round did not yield much change from #2, so to do a 4th would have been the max as it is. After rinsing with water the pieces were returned to the oven while I did the next set of pieces. I rotated this way to keep the metal warm and dry.

Reassembly of the frame was a breeze, with the only hiccup being that at first I installed the main spring plunger in upside down. This was quickly remedied. I finished by temporarily reinstalling the furniture and test fired one shell through it. All is well, I am typing this right?

The last step is to order a new stock and finish it as desired. I also ordered a new front sight, as mine is missing. While I wait for the stock to show up I need to prep and reblue the takedown pin ends and the forearm piece. (whoops!) The weapon will then be complete.

All in I will have about $75.00 in parts and materials. The gun was free, so that puts me in a good spot!

Here are a few pictures of the progress til now. I will update when I get the stock and sight and put it all together.   

Offline MarksmanTim

Re: Model 1900 restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
More pictures:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
Hello MT, this is great and thanks for the info and pictures. In the 'H&R talk, Collectibles, Handguns, etc" section here I just asked if I could get pictures (close ups preferred) of both sides and different angles of the removeable hinge pin on a Model 1900 H&R. My friend (and my gunsmith) has aquired a Model 1900 that has everything but the removable hingepin. He has obtained the exterior paddle/lever that attaches to the left outside of the hinge pin and can fabricate a hingepin from 3/8" drill stock but needs either pictures, diagrams, or best of all, to hold and examine a real hinge pin. Could you perhaps show a close up picture of the removeable hinge pin, perhaps with the paddle/lever in both the open and closed positions? Oddly that part is the only one not pictured in the above pictures!!
Also if there are any springs, detents, levers, or anything that is not clearly visible an explaination or description would be VERY helpful...Thanks in advance. I'd like to help out my friend, he has helped me and many others for many years and is a great (80 YOA) guy....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »
Nice work Tim!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
Nice post and a nice job too.  I'd like to find a 1900 H&R in servicable shape.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »

The last step is to order a new stock and finish it as desired.

What gauge is his your 1900 and where are you buying the new stock?  I have a 28 ga 1900 in my possession and have not been able to find a replacment stock.

thanks and good work!

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
Boyd's had replacement stocks for the vintage round and square tang H&Rs, whether they're for large or small frame I dunno.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,250488.0.html

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
Boyds has round tang (large) which fits 12, 16, 20 & 410.  The 1900 28 ga. requires a round tang (small) which nobody seems to make. :P

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:47 AM »
 ???

Marksman Tim,
The Model 1900 and 1908 were H&R's LARGE FRAME.  There was no youth designation to any variations of the LARGE FRAME.  The SMALL FRAME guns were the Models 1905 and 1915.  Furniture for the SMALL will not FIT on the LARGE frame and vice versa.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:49:09 AM »
I have one Of these too. But never knew it was a model 1900?

It's one of My favorites!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
Nice looking early H&R CW, someday I'd like to find one like that. I thought the barrel of my friends 1900 had been cut down (it's 18.5") but the barrel on yours looks like it's a shorty also....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MarksmanTim

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »

What gauge is his your 1900 and where are you buying the new stock?  I have a 28 ga 1900 in my possession and have not been able to find a replacment stock.

thanks and good work!

BB

Sorry I forgot to add it is a 16 gauge. And as everyone has chimed in,I plan to buy my stock from Boyds. My gun is the round tang style.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »
Ya, the "reblued zoomed" photo shows 16 ga choke in clear letters....   ;)

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
Wow! that's a nice job.  Make sure you post photos when your done.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline MarksmanTim

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Here are a few pics of the takedown pin requested of me.