Author Topic: AR in 7.62 x39?  (Read 762 times)

Offline tzimm007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
AR in 7.62 x39?
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »
This maybe on here already someone can direct me if it is. I bought one today that is supost to have the mods done to reliably shoot the surplus ammo(fireing pin, ejector,piston). It will be my coyote gun primarily but also hogs and deer. Just wondering what you guys are zeroing your guns at and what rounds your hunting with?
Thanks TJ

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
Re: AR in 7.62 x39?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
Mine is chambered in 5.56.  I have mine pretty well dialed in at 200.  I only coyote hunt with it, and most legitamate shots are under 200.  usually when calling they seem to post up on me around 100 to 150, so thats where I hit 'em...I use Wolf brand ammo that comes in the black boxes.  Non corrosive, steel cased JHP's.  They are pretty decent quality for the price and dont have all that lacquer that other brands of steel case ammo have on them.  In my stock AR, they shoot just under MOA.  Hopefully someone who shoots 7.62x39 through theirs can give you more info.

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
make sure you get some C-Products magazines, they are the most reliable and have longer feed lips and follower needed to make the 7.62 round feed and run reliably, For hunting i use the white box Winchester sp rounds, they are the most accurate in my rifle and any of the wolf, or other russian rounds for plinking or just popping some caps....if you reload, use barnes 125 TSX bullets for the 7.62 x 39 cartridge for hunting, they work great, have a great day...JimP.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »
Ill go one step higher then JIm. Buy those c products mags and then go to wolfs site and buy extra power ak47 mag springs and replace your mag springs with those. It cures most of the mag problems with the guns. I shoot about anything out of mine. I shoot wolf at camp when i dont want to pick up brass. I have shot lots of handloaded ball to save a few bucks. When im looking to do serious work with it i have a load with hornady vmaxs that shoots under an inch at a 100 yards. Ball or wolf usually will put 5 into around 2 inch which is still plenty accurate for most ar work. I consider it a mid range round so i pretty much zero mine to be right on at a 100 yards. Still makes for minute of man at 200 and minute of deer at 150 which is about as far as id consider a shot at one with that round. By the way my gun is a bushmaster and with good mags set up like i said it doesnt miss a beat with any ammo.
blue lives matter

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the advise guys. This is my first treck into AR land. Where is the best place to get the c products mags at? What barrel length are y'all shooting? Mine has a 16".

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:35:09 AM »
Sometimes you have to watch and make sure that the Wolf brand ammo will cycle reliably in an AR.  If you have too heavy of a buffer installed the Wolf can cause it to short stroke.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:06:02 AM »
mines a 16 inch a4
blue lives matter

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
Check out what Rock River Arms revealed at the 2012 SHOT show.
It's an AR/AK, it has an AR upper and the lower is designed to use AK mags. The model is LAR-47, google it and see what you think, I personally like the idea.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »
It's an AR/AK, it has an AR upper and the lower is designed to use AK mags. The model is LAR-47, google it and see what you think, I personally like the idea.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

I've personally never understood the need for a 7.62x39 in an AR platform.  Accuracy maybe?  The actual AK platform is about the same price for a nice one and more reliable for the intended cartridge.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:33:59 AM »
alot more accurate, lighter, gives a guy with multiple ars the option of parts swapping if something breaks, faster mag changes. Much more accurate, made in america, did i say much more accurate :P To me its about the ideal ar. HIts much harder at ranges combat actually happens at then a .223. Is within spitting distance of the balllistics of all the cult followed 6.5 and 6.8 ars for deer hunting and long range shooting. Ammo is much cheaper then any of them with the possible exception of the .223 and even then its a toss up. A guy can shoot quality reloads and have a moa gun or shoot wolf and still shoot 2moa (at least mine does) which is probably twice as accurate as any ak will shoot. Scope and optic mounting is much easier. there are vastly more options for add ons for an ar to make it fit the exact purpose you want to use it for. Caliber swaps are as easy as popping two pins. With a couple uppers you can swap in seconds from your battle/hunting 762x39 to a .223 heavy barrel varmit slayer or a truck busting 50 beowolf. Cant do that with your ak. Dont me wrong if i had to actually go into the jungle at war with a true full auto battle rifle id probably pice the ak. But i dont and for 99 percent of what i do with a black gun the ar is clearly a better choise.
blue lives matter

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

That is awesome news...thank you for posting this.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
That rock river is pretty cool! I need 5 round mags to hunt here in Oklahoma. I have found them at midway USA but they are out of stock. Looks like its going to be 10 rounders with a plug or block or something to reduce capacity.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
those lowers have been available for a while on the aftermarket. Someone at rock river must have bought out the rights to them. from what i hear they work real well.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot
blue lives matter

Offline gun junky

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
Im interested in this caliber in a upper also. I have a sks but would like to have one in a ar better handling and optics choices. Not sure where to get the mags, barrel and bolt at. I would have to agree the round hits harder than the 223. Gun junky

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
You're welcome Rock Home Isle, I can't wait to hear some actual reviews of this gun. I may just have to break down and try one for myself.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

That is awesome news...thank you for posting this.  8)

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Seems to me like going to a dedicated lower defeats the platform's modular design. Buy a milspec lower and pop any upper with the appropriate mag and call it day.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:08 PM »
Seems to me like going to a dedicated lower defeats the platform's modular design. Buy a milspec lower and pop any upper with the appropriate mag and call it day.

The reason a lot of guys don't like using dedicated lowers is because sometimes to make a gun shoot lighter or make it more reliable over time they will use different buffers.  To swap out buffers everytime you swap an upper really defeats the purpose of having a dedicated lower.

Also when you get into different caliber designations other than the 5.56, you really have a hard time finding reliable magazines.  And when you do find a reliable mag for an odd caliber for the AR they cost double or triple the price of a 5.56 mag.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:26 AM »
I never was one to swap uppers around anyway. If i want a differnt caliber i build a complete gun. You can put together a complete lower for around 250 bucks. For that its not worth swapping them around and if shtf ever did come what good is an upper? If i did though i sure wouldnt worry about swapping a buffer. For one i have 223 762x39 and 50 beo ars and they all use the stock buffer and spring and run fine and if for some reason i had to change one its about a 10 second job. As long as the dedicated lowers take standard ar parts kits id be fine with it.
blue lives matter

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 01:27:23 AM »
I never was one to swap uppers around anyway. If i want a differnt caliber i build a complete gun. You can put together a complete lower for around 250 bucks. For that its not worth swapping them around and if shtf ever did come what good is an upper?

My thoughts exactly.

If i did though i sure wouldnt worry about swapping a buffer. For one i have 223 762x39 and 50 beo ars and they all use the stock buffer and spring and run fine and if for some reason i had to change one its about a 10 second job. As long as the dedicated lowers take standard ar parts kits id be fine with it.

Lol, I didn't say they wouldn't function.  They just wont function as reliably.  But that's also considering your building a true milspec gun that has proper staking.  If it's just a plinker then the buffer and dedicated lower is a non issue.